Video encoding help?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Video encoding help?

Post by 41.3 »

Hi there. I was hpoing someone might be able to answer a couple questions for me.

I know that there might not be anybody who uses these apps anymore, but I'm having trouble getting them to work. They are uDcDivX, and VC/DC.

1.) Could someone tell me what program(s) they use to encode AVI, and MPEG for the respective apps above?
2.) Could someone also suggest the best screen size, framerate, filtering, and audio encoding settings that worked best for them?

P.S. - This would need to be done on a Vista system.
Christuserloeser

Re: Video encoding help?

Post by Christuserloeser »

I will see that I write up some hints within the next couple of days. I was working on a small tutorial for the Wiki a while ago.
Insane homebrew collector.
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by 41.3 »

Sounds cool, I look forward to it. ;)

I couldn't even open my dvd's vob files with the recommended VirtualDub.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

If you're going directly from the source vob files, you won't be able to use VirtualDub 1.4d. It doesn't have the ability to open MPEG-2 video streams, which is what the video in the vob most likely is, it's a m2v.

The latest VirtualDub will not work for this either. The Dreamcast is old, so any video projects you have are going to be using older apps, codec, conversion methods. With that in mind I'd suggest using a different older app in the VD family, VirtualDubMod. If you want to use the last beta version they had, extract the last "all inclusive" stable version to a folder, extract the final beta on top of that, and overwrite any files at prompt.

Because the VirtualDubMod won't have the ability to convert the AC3 audio properly, what I'd do for Dvd VOB files is use DGMPGDec's DGindex to demux the video into m2v video and ac3 audio streams. Use an audio program with AC3 support, and re-encode it into a MP3 file at around 22,050Khz, Mono.

Open up VirtualDubMod, open the m2v video file, select for compression the installed Divx 5.02 codec, set the resize video filter, open up in the "stream list" the re-encoded mp3, save the file as an AVI.
ImageImageImageImage
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

This should be of help:

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.php/Main/DC-Divx
Recommend Settings:

* Use Virtual Dub Mod and the DivX 5.0.2 Pro codec
(allows bidirectional encoding @ up to 1000 kbps)
* Resize to 320x240
* Keep framerate of your source material
* 22khz or 24khz Mono (MP3)
* Recommend settings (command line):
-b1 950 -key 800 -b -dr 8,2,2000,10,20 -sc 50 -pq 5
Insane homebrew collector.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

With VC/DC, I would use a standard VCD resolution (352x240 for NTSC or 352x288 for PAL). The optimum bitrate is a bit subjective. Full-quality VCD movies should play and keep sync acceptably, but the player will be more likely to skip B-frames, which can make the video look jerky. Using a lower bitrate might give you smoother playback, but can make the picture blocky, so I'd suggest finding a KVCD template for TMPGEnc to encode at lower bitrates. Audio settings I never messed with too much, but again, standard VCD audio seems to work just fine. I wouldn't bother with SVCD or high-resolution MPEG-2 at all. I believe that menu navigation on SVCD worked in the last version I released, but it just can't keep up with higher-resolution full-motion video. Your best bet is to stick with MPEG-1 and VCD-quality or lower. </long-winded response>
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by 41.3 »

Thanks for all the help. :grin:

While I did read the VC/DC readme seeing the TMPGEnc recommendation, I found out it only accepted certain video types. Luckily I discovered how to use the VirtualDubMod frameserver feature with VD filters, I think all my input bases are cover now.

Only thing is that TMPGEnc won't let me encode the audio lower than 64Kbps, or lower the sampling frequency below 32,000Hz. Oh well...
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

41.3 wrote:Thanks for all the help. :grin:

While I did read the VC/DC readme seeing the TMPGEnc recommendation, I found out it only accepted certain video types. Luckily I discovered how to use the VirtualDubMod frameserver feature with VD filters, I think all my input bases are cover now.

Only thing is that TMPGEnc won't let me encode the audio lower than 64Kbps, or lower the sampling frequency below 32,000Hz. Oh well...
There are also plugins for TMPGEnc for some video types. I know there's one to allow MPEG-2 input, and another for Quicktime. You really shouldn't need to use such low-quality audio for VC/DC, unless you're trying to conserve space on a disc.
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by 41.3 »

I know there's one to allow MPEG-2 input, and another for Quicktime.
The free version of TMPGEnc has a trial period where it opens MPEG-2, so I'd have to demux, or frameserve the vob first.

If I'm only resizing the VOB video that I ripped from my dvds to 352x240, or 320x240, what should be an acceptable audio setting? Could you also recommend how many B-Frames should be used if the video is encoded to 24fps?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

41.3 wrote:
I know there's one to allow MPEG-2 input, and another for Quicktime.
The free version of TMPGEnc has a trial period where it opens MPEG-2, so I'd have to demux, or frameserve the vob first.

If I'm only resizing the VOB video that I ripped from my dvds to 352x240, or 320x240, what should be an acceptable audio setting? Could you also recommend how many B-Frames should be used if the video is encoded to 24fps?
I'd just use whatever audio setting the standard VCD template uses. It should be 44.1 kHz, 224 kbps. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_CD#Audio

For B-Frames, I honestly don't know an exact figure. You definitely want to use B-frames. The more I-frames you use, the better the picture should look, but I-frames also take the longest to draw. VC/DC will skip decoding B-frames when it's having trouble keeping sync, but I don't know how many you really need to use to get the best result.
Matt MC
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Matt MC »

Try Sorenson Squeeze. Pretty simple yet powerful tool for video encoding and converting.
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by 41.3 »

I prefer using the codecs & encoders directly. And... I only like free proggies, especially the open source ones.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

If you're still looking for ways to encode DC compatible vids, you could check out FFMPEG.

I'd use the latest FFMPEG unofficial Win32 build from the site link above. And unless you're comfortable with command line apps, I'd suggest using ffe as a frontend, or alternatively using the WinFF bundle which is based on ffmpeg.

I've been able to successfully create compatible mpeg video (for vc/dc), and flv video (for Dcplaya) with it. I can create avi files compatible with any modern video player, but I've never been able to make them (u)DcDivx compatible.
ImageImageImageImage