Smash Pack programmer wanted Echelon to release ROM Loader

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
dj vectorman
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Smash Pack programmer wanted Echelon to release ROM Load

Post by dj vectorman »

Hello, I apologize for bumping up this old great thread, and, I don't wish to sound negative.

Esp since this story been spread around various pro VG sites like :

http://www.cracked.com/article_19745_th ... games.html

Ok, this "letter to Echelon written by Gary" who made SSP as stated by the OP wasn't in retail Smash cd. It was a text file in back up iso by Echelon, again as OP says. I even double checked both discs with iso program.

So how do you know Gary wrote it at all ? Ok, there is a text file in the Echelon Smash copy supposedly of a letter to Echelon. And ? Where is the proof Gary wrote it ? Unless it is in actual retail Smash info (I checked it is not to my knowledge) so it was a email ?

Here is proof no text file or "letter to Echelon" is in retail copy of SSP :

And Yes I understand it is in Echelon version, but, so ? Echelon could have typed that.

So maybe just Echelon typed it, it wasn't fully pasted from a email because no reply email info time etc was in "letter to Echelon". So where is the proof ? Can someone explain.

= = =

Anyway, I'm here to ask a favor. I have the Echelon Smash Pack Emu CD aka DC Genesis Emu by Echelon with 3000 games from 2001 and it still works great, how can I just put 25 roms (my fav genesis games) in rom folder and create a iso cd of Echelon so it plays in my dc ?

Do I erase the 3000 games out of ROM folder, add just 25 I like, and burn ALL pgrm text bin etc files I see as a iso in DJ6 ? When I open my cd drive I see these bin, text, weird files but I can't just burn to cd with my new rom folder because it won't play.

I actually have all the emus for dc to play genesis, and all of them have bad sound so I'm happy with the Echelon SSP version but how do I add just my fav 25 games in ROM folder then burn to play to WORK on dc ?

Can anyone please explain it to me or post a link with new version of emu with just the 25 bin games in echelon genesis emu ?

Hopefully this forum (unlike most dc emu) is willing to help me and is still active and is "allowed" to discuss this.

Again, after I erase the 3000 (or whatever amount, I don't like most of them anyway and scrolling through that long bin/rom list on my dreamcast is horrible !) games and just add 25, how do I turn this into something that I can play on my dc ? :

- Gary
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

Your not looking at the 2nd session of the disc, because a pc drive can not read gd-roms lol
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

dj vectorman wrote:Hopefully this forum (unlike most dc emu) is willing to help me and is still active and is "allowed" to discuss this.
We are active, but it is still not allowed to discuss this topic here.
dj vectorman
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by dj vectorman »

PH3NOM wrote:Your not looking at the 2nd session of the disc, because a pc drive can not read gd-roms lol
What ? For the Sega Smash retail or my Echelon 25 rom Emu question ? Please Explain.

Blue, you closed my bleemcast! topic and I respect why but...yet said you don't mind a list being posted, can I pm you the list so you can add in post 1 of that thread so people get a better understand of what works ?

Also Blue, why is a emulator not allowed to be talked on dc emulation ?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

dj vectorman wrote:Blue, you closed my bleemcast! topic and I respect why but...yet said you don't mind a list being posted, can I pm you the list so you can add in post 1 of that thread so people get a better understand of what works ?
You should still be able to edit your post. However, I doubt many people are coming here looking for such a thing to start with, since we haven't supported such things on this site for a very long time. Also, keep in mind that posting such a list without citing the source would be plagiarism. There is a bit of a chicken and the egg problem with posting such a list, which is why I simply closed the topic.
Also Blue, why is a emulator not allowed to be talked on dc emulation ?
Because both the Echelon Smash Pack loader and the bleemcast beta are illegally pirated content. We do not allow discussion of pirated/illegal stuff here. This is per the Legalities in the US topic in the news/forum guidelines forum. This site is hosted in and is largely populated by residents of the US, so we generally expect people to stay on the correct side of the law, both for their own safety and ours. Also, discussion of both these things are actually specifically outlawed by the rules topic.
dj vectorman
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by dj vectorman »

Blue, what about question I posted in this thread above. Can this "Gary story" be verified ?

= = =

Ok thank you Blue. Was my "new 2012 game" thread legal to post ?

New DC game 2012 / Rehash Unreleased 1998 game !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kkdl0br ... r_embedded#

I don't see thread I posted here no more. Sorry if illegal.

= = =

Also thank you for explanations.

The psx list contains the people who tested the games on dc and I edited and added my own testing to list so it is not plagiarism IMO.

I cannot unlock or edit my post in that thread. The more info about saturn or dreamcast, the better IMO. These forums aren't exactly buzzing and noobs are curious. Good to have info online at least. Here is list you can add it to thread or just erase from here :

Tested by Anthony815, djvectorman, dctester007, dc Swat admins, chickendoodle, bsword, a.d.c., segafan9999 (formally drac), a, Dcisoz posters, omegasega, etc :

007 racing USA
Adidas Power Soccer '98 - EURO
Adventures of Little Ralph - JAP
Adventures of the Puppet Princess (Rhapsody in US) - JAP
Alundra 2 - USA
Apocalypse - USA
Azumanga Donjara Daioh - JAP
B.L.U.E. LEGEND OF WATER - JAP
Battle Arena Toshinden - USA
Battle Arena Toshinden 2 - EURO
Battle Arena Toshinden 3 - JAP
Battle Arena Toshinden 4 (Plays 99% perfect)
Big Bass Fishing - USA
Blade - EURO
Breath of Fire III - USA
Bushido Blade - JAP
C-12 Final Resistance - USA
Captain Tsubasa: New Legend - JAP
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - JAP or USA
Chaos Break - EURO
Chase the Express - EURO
Chrono Cross (Any region)
Colin McRae Rally 1 - USA
Cosmo Warrior Zero - JAP
Cotton 100% - JAP
Crash Bash - USA
Crypt Killer - EURO
Diablo - USA
DRAGON BALL Z - I DAU NAURU DORAGON BOORUU DENSETSU- JAP
Ehrgeiz - JAP
Einhinder - USA
Excalibur - EURO
Frogger - USA
G-Darius (Any region)
Galerians - USA
Gran Tourismo - USA
Guilty Gear (Any region)
Gundam Battle master - JAP
Gundam : The Battle Master 2 - JAP (mute sound)
Gunnm: Martian Memory - JAP
Hot shots golf - USA
Incredible Crisis - EURO
Internal Section - JAP
International Track & Field 2000 - USA
Jinx (Any region)
King of Fighters 95 - USA (90%)
Kings Field - EURO
Kings Field II - USA
Klaymen Gun Hockey JAP
Klonoa
Langrisser IV - JAP
Macross VF-X 2 - JAP
Magic The Gathering: Battle Mage - USA
Marvel Super Heroes - USA (90%)
Megaman Legends - USA
MLB 2000 - USA
Omega Boost - USA
Pacman World
Parappa The Rapper - UA or Bleem!ed
Person Revelations
Planet of the Apes (Plays Perfect)
Pong
Power Shovel JAP
R4: Ridge Racer Type 4
R - Type
Racing - USA
Rage Racer - EURO
Rakugaki Showtime - JAP
Red Alert - USA
Reloaded - EURO
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - USA
Ridge Racer: Type 4 - EURO
Rollcage USA
RPG Maker (Australian PAL) - EURO
Rugrats Totally Angelica - USA
Rurouni Kenshin: Ishin Gekitouhen - JAP
Silent Bomber - USA
Simpsons Wrestling - USA
Strikers 1945 USA
Street Fighter Zero 3 - JAP (95 % playable)
Tekken 1 - EURO
Tenchu Best Collection - JAP
The Incredible Hulk - EURO
Thunderforce V Perfect System - JAP
Time Crisis
Tony Hawk 4 - EURO
Top Shop - EURO
Toy Story Racer - USA
Winning Eleven 4 - JAP
Winning Eleven 98' 99' J-Legue - JAP
Winning Eleven 2002 J-League - JAP
Woody Woodpecker Racing - EURO
WORLD SOCCER JIKKYO WINNING ELEVEN 2002 - JAP
WWF Attitude USA
WWF WarZone - USA
Xena, Warrior Princess - EURO
Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories
Zoop - USA
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

dj vectorman wrote:Blue, what about question I posted in this thread above. Can this "Gary story" be verified ?
I don't own a copy of the Sega Smash Pack myself. However, I'd trust |darc| not to lie about things of this nature. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, that would be in the high density area of the disc, so you wouldn't see it if you put the disc in your PC. You would have to rip the game using one of the normal methods and then look at the main data track from the high density area.
Ok thank you Blue. Was my "new 2012 game" thread legal to post ?
I dunno what thread specifically you're talking about off the top of my head, however if it had any links to download the game, then it would have been deleted for that reason. That said, the particular game in question is also an illegal copy of a commercial product, whether or not it came out. Sure, its impressive that they were able to get it to run on retail hardware, but that doesn't change the fact that it is illegal.
dj vectorman
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by dj vectorman »

BlueCrab wrote:I don't own a copy of the Sega Smash Pack myself. However, I'd trust |darc| not to lie about things of this nature. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, that would be in the high density area of the disc, so you wouldn't see it if you put the disc in your PC. You would have to rip the game using one of the normal methods and then look at the main data track from the high density area.
Well, I'm not saying he is lying, but I didn't see it anywhere on my retail copy with iso buster or other programs and he posted all kind of screenshots in post 1 but never said nor showed a text file from retail game of a "letter to Echelon". The text file he did show however named Echelon, as he said, was from a rip Echelon SSP copy. Ok ? That doesn't at all prove Gary wrote anything to Echelon. Like I said, Echelon could have wrote that themselves and put it in their version.
I dunno what thread specifically you're talking about off the top of my head, however if it had any links to download the game, then it would have been deleted for that reason.
No it was just a link to youtube video I posted above and thread title saying new dc game/unreleased 98 game.
That said, the particular game in question is also an illegal copy of a commercial product, whether or not it came out. Sure, its impressive that they were able to get it to run on retail hardware, but that doesn't change the fact that it is illegal.
Ok.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Most of the information below directly related to the topic is available at the dcemulation.org Smash Pack page so this shouldn't break any forum rules.

What the original poster (|darc|) says in the first post is: 'ECHELON.TXT' was found when checking the data after dumping the contents of an original Smash Pack GD. That text file relates directly to the information contained within the NFO files from the Echelon warez releases of Sega Smash Pack and the subsequent Smash Pack ROM Loader. To confirm this information you will need to dump the data from an original Smash Pack GD and also find the original Echelon warez releases.

January 31, 2001 - Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 commercial release.
February 3rd, 2001 - Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 warez rip released by Echelon.
February 5th, 2001 - Sega Smash Pack ROM Loader warez release by Echelon.

The Genesis emulator from Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 was at one time also distributed separately under the name of SegaGEN, a simple Google search should eventually reveal the origins of 'SegaGEN'. If you read the information on the dcemulation.org Smash Pack page you will also see that there was problems with the emulator, the following information is probably crossing the line but...

The Echelon ROM Loader and Obsidian's Lemec ROM Loader are not needed when using the Genesis emulator from Sega Smash Pack because there are much better ways to load ROMs for a 'private' custom CD, also, loading ROMs doesn't involve any menu system with the letters 'D' or 'O' in the title. The first problem with SegaGEN is the sound emulation, this can easily be fixed. The second problem with SegaGEN is compatibility, this is easily overcome with the use of another 'official' Genesis emulator with the time constraint removed.

That's all I'm saying about that subject.

As for the Bleemcast Beta compatibility list, that's a bit off topic but...

The Bleemcast Beta was released in 2003 by someone who was trusted but ended up adding insult to injury towards the independent development team that created the software. Whilst on this particular subject, all three independent commercial releases of Bleemcast had their copy protection removed in 2004 but neither 'copy' was released out of respect to the developers, it took another 'someone' another five years to add that further insult to injury.
Given time and incentive, anything can be pirated.
the people hurt most by piracy are the tiny companies and independents -- of which, you'll surely note, there are fewer and fewer... and fewer.
The 'unique' 2009 warez releases of all three Bleemcast independent commercial CDs were followed by the usual flock of sheep testing to see what other PSX games would work, but neither of those idiots visited this forum to read this:
Anyone who still believes that there's a hidden "universal" emulator either hasn't listened or is too naieve to understand why it isn't so.
Quotes from Bleemcast developer Rand Linden, source here.

End of history lesson.
Across the Universe
dj vectorman
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by dj vectorman »

Ok thank you for info but not sure how either is a history lesson. I can get many games to work on "b! beta" and nothing in those first paragraphs proves Gary wrote anything to Echelon. I linked my forum here, but link was erased.

I knew about both, but you indeed went more in depth with both. Again, just because it's in a Echelon rip doesn't prove anything about Gary and retail Smash Pack. If it's so easy to find proof on retail Smash Pack then please post a screenshot of it.

I did a "simple google search" on my 28 k Netlink Saturn modem and found this :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Smash_Pack_ROM_Loader

Again, nothing to prove Gary wrote that to Echelon.

Here is a great article :
http://everything2.com/title/SegaGen

Again, nothing to prove Gary wrote that to Echelon.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Have you ripped the smash pack yourself and looked at the main data track of the high density area of the disc? If not, you wouldn't have seen the file in question. |darc| wouldn't have posted this if it wasn't true, simply because it is so easy for anyone with the game and the ability to dump it to check. His post was based on his own rip of the disc, not of some pirated release.
dj vectorman
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by dj vectorman »

BlueCrab wrote:Have you ripped the smash pack yourself and looked at the main data track of the high density area of the disc?
I posted a screenshot above of where I checked using same program and computer process he did. Tell me the process just in case I got it wrong to look in main section (extract exe ?) and I will look, or if it's so easy, somebody besides OP please post a screenshot of proof Gary wrote it to Echelon from SSP. I'm just asking a question not saying anyone is lying.
If not, you wouldn't have seen the file in question. |darc| wouldn't have posted this if it wasn't true, simply because it is so easy for anyone with the game and the ability to dump it to check. His post was based on his own rip of the disc, not of some pirated release.
"I dumped a copy of the Sega Smash Pack GD-ROM I had"

Again, I see no evidence Gary titled a text file in retail version, copy of retail version named Echelon.txt, etc as I have both. Explain how to explore "main" part of disc with isobuster like he did in his screenshot too, and I'll look now. If I'm wrong, I'll post a screenshot proving I'm wrong.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Use one of the various ripping tools to rip the game from your Dreamcast (for instance over a bba) then look at the main data track from the high density area of the disc (which would often be the 3rd track in total including the stuff from the low density area). You cannot simply put the game in your PC and look at the data track (which is what you did in your earlier screenshot or you simply took the first data track, which would be from the low density area.

That is as much help as I can give you under the rules here (in fact, that which I am posting now is arguably against the rules). Once again, |darc| had no reason to lie about something that anyone who knows how to rip Dreamcast games could check so easily.
dj vectorman
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by dj vectorman »

BlueCrab wrote:Use one of the various ripping tools to rip the game from your Dreamcast (for instance over a bba) then look at the main data track from the high density area of the disc (which would often be the 3rd track in total including the stuff from the low density area). You cannot simply put the game in your PC and look at the data track (which is what you did in your earlier screenshot or you simply took the first data track, which would be from the low density area.

That is as much help as I can give you under the rules here (in fact, that which I am posting now is arguably against the rules). Once again, |darc| had no reason to lie about something that anyone who knows how to rip Dreamcast games could check so easily.
Ok, thank you. Unfortunately I can't rip a game from my dreamcast like you suggest so I'll just wait until somebody else posts a screenshot proving Gary wrote that on Smash Pack cd, until then I won't fully believe it.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

dj vectorman wrote: Ok, thank you. Unfortunately I can't rip a game from my dreamcast like you suggest so I'll just wait until somebody else posts a screenshot proving Gary wrote that on Smash Pack cd, until then I won't fully believe it.

Even if someone produced a rip of the GD-ROM I get the feeling you'd claim it was faked. Answer me this, what does |darc| have to gain by lying about this 4 years ago?

Hint: absolutely nothing.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
dj vectorman
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by dj vectorman »

APE wrote: Even if someone produced a rip of the GD-ROM I get the feeling you'd claim it was faked. Answer me this, what does |darc| have to gain by lying about this 4 years ago?

Hint: absolutely nothing.
It don't matter what you feel, your wrong about that assumption. I never said he was lying nor suggested he has anything to gain or saying he made it up, I'm just asking for more evidence Gary actually wrote anything to Echelon.

No, if someone else proved it or I saw it on my own, I would say ok or I'd upload it to show you guys and say it's definitely true.

"Answer me this", if it is so easy why doesn't someone ELSE post a screenshot as well ? If it's wrong, many sources ran this story for no reason. I posted 1 such link above. All I'm asking is where is THE PROOF besides OP suggesting Gary WROTE anything to Echelon on the retail version of Sega Smash Pack ? Who cares if it's on a rip copy. Seems that mere question is causing people to become sensitive or emotional.

Nice Gary Coleman picture, now show me a Gary written letter to Echelon picture.

Nothing wrong for asking for more evidence. Esp since only 1 person claims something. It was rip copy so who knows maybe his friend pranked him or Echelon wrote it or who knows. I don't simply blindly follow everyone's claims. I dig deeper. I ask questions. Some people don't like that. That is not my problem. If I'm wrong for "doubting" this but get my answer, ok. I can accept this is true, can you accept it isn't ?
FaithY
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by FaithY »

I'm 4 years late. But, Wow, nice find!
Interesting letter Gary wrote to echelon! Too bad more developers didn't do this at the end of the dreamcasts run. But at least Gary did 8-)

It seems Gary worked on NFL2K. Perhaps he could have helped keep the games server online by passing the keys. :lol:
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

dj vectorman wrote:"Answer me this", if it is so easy why doesn't someone ELSE post a screenshot as well ? If it's wrong, many sources ran this story for no reason. I posted 1 such link above. All I'm asking is where is THE PROOF besides OP suggesting Gary WROTE anything to Echelon on the retail version of Sega Smash Pack ? Who cares if it's on a rip copy. Seems that mere question is causing people to become sensitive or emotional.
If it is so easy why don't you post a screenshot of a proper rip? Reading it out with isobuster is not a proper rip; any tutorial can show you that. The part that makes me disgruntled is that you're saying "jump" and expecting someone to yell back "sir how high sir?". I don't particularly see any motivation to provide a rip but it will be amusing to watch this further.
dj vectorman wrote:I don't simply blindly follow everyone's claims. I dig deeper. I ask questions. Some people don't like that. That is not my problem. If I'm wrong for "doubting" this but get my answer, ok. I can accept this is true, can you accept it isn't ?
Then dig deeper and make your own rip and show us it doesn't exist.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
dj vectorman
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by dj vectorman »

What do you not understand about my already said post to Blue that I can't rip the game from a dreamcast like he suggests, the only tool I know is isobuster like OP used, I don't have bba...plus when I asked how to do this like OP nobody directly told me the process ? I never said it's easy for me to do it, the way most posted on page 2 it seems so easy to THEM, so ok please post screenshot proof I request that can prove Gary wrote it or it even exists in retail version.

"Use one of the various ripping tools to rip the game from your Dreamcast (for instance over a bba)" - Blue.

"Ok, thank you. Unfortunately I can't rip a game from my dreamcast like you suggest so I'll just wait until somebody else posts a screenshot proving Gary wrote that on Smash Pack cd, until then I won't fully believe it." - Me.

If it so easy for OTHERS here to get in main section of cd or know how "get in 3rd track" or have bba, then why hasn't anybody posted "the letter to Echelon from Gary" from retail cd yet ? Instead I get Gary Coleman net pictures that wasn't funny years ago or now.

Tell me how to do it and I will, I tried but lack the knowledge. I got the retail game in front of my face as well as a copy of game I made, I tried isobuster and everything else I could find on net. I saw the OP did it that way from his screenshot. I'm not very tech savy. If I need to hook dreamcast to pc with special interface or bba then I can't. As I stated. I'm not telling anybody jump, I'm simply asking a question and requesting somebody else besides OP to verify this with a screenshot. I'm not telling people anything, or demanding how high you jump, simply requesting proof. You can try to twist it, but a request is request, not a demand. They don't have to do it. But doing so will shut me up.

"Interesting letter Gary wrote to echelon!"

Really ?

"Then dig deeper and make your own rip and show us it doesn't exist."

Tell me how and I will right now. I tried various ways. I looked and "dug deeper" on google but info is limited. I'll keep looking though. Even if I found a step by step process, without bba I can't anyway.

Do you know how to do it ? If so pm your address and I'll send the retail copy game to you or pm me how to do it anybody. Realize if it requires bba as Blue said then I can't.

Just because I can't figure out how or whether I can't do it, doesn't mean I can't ask if story can be verified.

Don't you think if I could get in main section I would have posted it being I posted a screenshot already of a failed attempt to find it I did ? Obviously if I could see main section and saw it, or not, I'd post the proof in a screenshot. Why didn't he post a screenshot of it from retail game Gary created ? Instead he saw a Echelon text file in a copy version. Big deal. That is what got me asking the question.

So far nobody has verified his story with proof.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

dj vectorman wrote:Unfortunately I can't rip a game from my dreamcast
Did you even think about using the search function for any topic within this forum?

As per the rules you'll need to cease with comments about ripping games, search elsewhere for any further assistance.
Across the Universe