Transferring files with a BBA

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Transferring files with a BBA

Post by Caboose »

I was recently fortunate enough to get a BBA, and I've been having a blast playing PSO online. Anyways, another important reason why I got it was for homebrew purposes (running it and transferring save files). I can't for the life of my figure out how to transfer my gamesaves to my PC. I'm using Speud's VMU Tool running on the Dreamcast, but when I try sending a file to my PC, it says I must be running the VMU tool binary and DC Load + DC Tool. Alright, no problem, there is no software running on my PC to network the PC and Dreamcast. So I got Fackue's DC Tool GUI, and I'm lost. It wants a directory for the file to download? And I have to manually set the file size? This can't be right. So I try connecting to my PC again with VMU Tool and it's the same deal. I'm guessing that none of the software is really running yet. Anyways, I've been trying to get this to work for several hours now, I've searched on Google a good bit, and I just can't come up with anything. I'm sure I'll feel retarted once I know what I am supposed to do, but in the mean time can somebody please help point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

-Caboose
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Re: Transferring files with a BBA

Post by Caboose »

Hmm, it seems I can't edit my post, oh well hopefully a mod will merge this for me.

I forgot to mention that the Dreamcast and PC are connected through a router and just a regular ethernet cable (to be honest I'm not sure if it's a crossover or straight through, this might be trivial anyways).
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Erm, you don't really have to do anything besides set ARP if you need to and set the IP.

Download and burn dc-load IP and use dc-tool GUI to upload VMU Tool.

dc-load is downloadable from here, but you'll have to make a CDI for the make-cd folder:
http://dchelp.dcemulation.org/downloads ... 0_mingw.7z

Burn it and pop it in your DC, enter the MAC address into dc-tool GUI. You'll have to setup a static IP too if you haven't done so already.

I have my router configured for 192.168.1.1 and my static IP is 192.168.1.136 and my Dreamcast's IP 192.168.1.137.

Just upload VMU Tool's ELF file and you should be able to download the saves from your DC or from your PC to you DC.

HTH
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Thank you, fackue. As always you are extremely helpful, I got everything working correctly now.
grolt
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by grolt »

Hey guys, sorry to revive this thread but I myself am having problems connecting and was hoping for a quick fix here. I'm in almost an identical situation to the original poster, I've got the DC and my Win XP PC hardwired via ethernet to different ports on my router. I've got DC-load IP going on my DC and the DC-TOOLS GUI on my PC, but I can't get them to chat.

emptythought mentioned putting in the MAC address from the DC somewhere...where?

And in the "Set IP address to communicate with the DC here:" part, what address am I putting in? My Winx XP PC's IP? My router's IP? My DC's?

Lastly, what is the binary file I'm supposed to upload to the DC? I downloaded a couple from the Dream Explorer website, and each had two .BIN files: From the unscrambled pack it was 1ST-READ.BIN and IP.BIN and from the unscrambled it was IP.BIN and vmu_085.bin.

Are there any firewall or TCP/IP settings I need to configure on my PC?

Any help would be appreciated, and sorry for the ignorance, I just got my BBA and am trying to put it to use!

Thanks in advance.
Dreamcast
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Dreamcast »

You have to manually add the MAC address shown when DC-LOAD-IP starts to your PC's address resolution table.

To do this, you can either add this to a batch file or manually type it into the command console:

Code: Select all

ARP -s 0.0.0.0 00-00-00-00-00-00
Replace "0.0.0.0" with the IP address you want your PC to use when connecting to the Dreamcast. Since ARP is used to manually resolve an IP address to the physical address (MAC), the IP can be anything you want as long as it doesn't conflict with addresses already in use. Replace "00-00-00-00-00-00" with the MAC address mentioned earlier.

When uploading, you will need to send over 1ST_READ.bin which is the main binary.
grolt
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by grolt »

Dreamcast â„¢ wrote:You have to manually add the MAC address shown when DC-LOAD-IP starts to your PC's address resolution table.

To do this, you can either add this to a batch file or manually type it into the command console:

Code: Select all

ARP -s 0.0.0.0 00-00-00-00-00-00
Replace "0.0.0.0" with the IP address you want your PC to use when connecting to the Dreamcast. Since ARP is used to manually resolve an IP address to the physical address (MAC), the IP can be anything you want as long as it doesn't conflict with addresses already in use. Replace "00-00-00-00-00-00" with the MAC address mentioned earlier.

When uploading, you will need to send over 1ST_READ.bin which is the main binary.
Thanks for the quick response. I tried this, setting up an arbitrary number and then entering in my MAC info as follows:

ARP -s 33.33.33.33 00-d0-f1-02-a2-99

Is that how I was supposed to enter it?

I did it that way and then tried to define the IP address as 33.33.33.33 in DC-TOOLS but it still wasn't able to resolve anything...

Oh, and by "command console", do you mean in MS-DOS or the one in DC-TOOLS? Sorry, total noob.
Dreamcast
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Dreamcast »

The IP still needs to be in the same range as the other machines assigned IPs by your router's DHCP service. So, if your computer's IP is 192.168.0.10, then use something like 192.168.0.60. Or, just take your computers IP and add 50 to the last number

And yes, command console.
grolt
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by grolt »

Holy shit that worked. You my friend, are a SEGA god. Thank you so much.