Porting Questions...

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Superstrider
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Porting Questions...

Post by Superstrider » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:03 pm

What I'd like to know is if it is possible to port games developed on the computer to Dreamcast Format. Most notibly, games developed with RPG Maker. Since I have been currently developing an RPG over the past few years, I was curious to find out how if it is indeed portable... I'm sure that this question has surfaced before, and yet... I feel the need to know...
Sonic RPG Demo #3 Complete!
Click to Download!

Progress of Sonic RPG: First 15 Chapters Complete!
Chapter 16: The Martial Art Tournament 0% Completed

My Deviantart
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: Porting Questions...

Post by Ex-Cyber » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:33 pm

The games themselves run on some kind of runtime platform provided by RPG Maker (which seems to vary wildly depending on which particular version of RPG Maker is used). Depending on the technical details it might be possible to clone the runtime to run the games on other systems, but I haven't heard of anybody trying to do that, and DC might not have enough RAM for a typical RPG Maker game anyway.

Portability generally isn't something that just happens accidentally; in almost all cases (outside of Java, and even it has pitfalls) it requires a considerable amount of effort on the part of the programmer to even come close to an easily portable program.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Dream Project
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Dream Project » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:58 pm

Superstrider wrote:What I'd like to know is if it is possible to port games developed on the computer to Dreamcast Format. Most notibly, games developed with RPG Maker. Since I have been currently developing an RPG over the past few years, I was curious to find out how if it is indeed portable... I'm sure that this question has surfaced before, and yet... I feel the need to know...
With learning this I think it's possible......
http://mc.pp.se/dc/
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by |darc| » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:26 pm

It is extremely unrealistic to be able to run RPG Maker-style games on the Dreamcast.

If you want to develop a game for Dreamcast, either make a mod for an existing game (BoR, Doom, Quake, etc.) or learn C programming.
It's thinking...