New updates to NesterDC SE "VOTER POLL"

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Would YOU like to see Scherzo perfect NesterDCSE?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:09 pm

YES!
73%
NO!
27%

Total votes: 15
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New updates to NesterDC SE "VOTER POLL"

Post by TechnoWolf »

Vik Abominae X wrote:This post is for Scherzo to answer...

Are there ever going to be any updates to NesterDC SE? There are just a few things to fix to make this emulator as perfect as it could possibly be...

1.) make it able to easily compile hacked games into the game library using the auto-disc-creator
2.) a bug I have found is that Mega Man 3 cannot be played with Game Genie cheats on...what is wrong here?
3.) Please make the program run better so that running it doesn't damage my (or anyone else's) DreamCast...from what I have read, the current original build of NesterDC SE puts undue stress on the DreamCast's laser, potentially damaging or misaligning it with repeated playings of this emulator.

Please do not take this post the wrong way...I love your emulator and it is a blessing to be able to use, however, it would be absolutely KILLER to have these few things fixed...THANKS!
Strapping Scherzo wrote:I have definitely been in a lazy mood in terms of doing side projects. If it would make enough people happy I might consider revisiting NesterDC SE. I don't have a dev environment set up right now. I should just get the DCDevISO and play around. Maybe I'll begin to feel the force again. I dunno.
Christuserloeser

Re: New updates to NesterDC SE "VOTER POLL"

Post by Christuserloeser »

Nice poll. :)
Insane homebrew collector.
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

I voted no, if he doesn't want to do it then we shouldn't pressure him. Maybe if you guys sent some cash his way or something, but since probably less then 150 people would download the new revision, then I see no point in him spending his time.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I don't want money. It's not like I don't want to do it either. I just don't have as much free time as I used to. Frankly, I would like to write an emulator from scratch for my next project.
Christuserloeser

stagg wrote:probably less then 150 people
Hm, the scene is much bigger than this message board... :roll:
Strapping Scherzo wrote:I don't want money. It's not like I don't want to do it either. I just don't have as much free time as I used to.
Like so many of us. - Hm, perhaps you just need to start and see what you can when you actually got the time ? Nester SE is a pretty damn good emulator, but there are some things that in theory are better than when in practical use - mainly because the Dreamcast's hardware limitations: Browsing the games by pics rather than a list for example is a great thing but the loading pretty much ruins it. If you would offer a simple ROM list as an alternative way of browsing, and use a big PAK file (holding e.g. screenshots of a game's title) to improve the current way of browsing - that would be pretty sweet I think :D
There also should be an easy way to add translations and hacks that aren't represented in the database (From what I've read that's actually the biggest complaint most people have with SE).

Other than that (and knowing your strife for perfection) I think smaller updates with minor improvements or adjustments are very welcome too - No need to work on a super mega uber update for ages: Most people will be happy about each and every new version with a only very few new features :)
Strapping Scherzo wrote:Frankly, I would like to write an emulator from scratch for my next project.
Interesting. Any specific hardware that you have in mind ?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Christuserloeser wrote:
Strapping Scherzo wrote:Frankly, I would like to write an emulator from scratch for my next project.
Interesting. Any specific hardware that you have in mind ?
I would like to try to emulate SNES but from what I hear it's one of the most difficult systems to emulate well.

I know there are a million NES emus out there but it's relatively easy and there's tons of documentation. It would be good to get that experience under my belt. Maybe TG16. Basically I would want to write an emu for a system I played a lot when I was younger.

If I do make an NES emu, I would try to make some crazy features. One feature I always thought would be neat is to render the sprites and background tiles using opengl or something similar. Then I would do silly stuff like make the sprites cast shadows onto the backgrounds. Maybe view the action from an angle. It would make every game like paper mario.
Christuserloeser

Strapping Scherzo wrote:I would like to try to emulate SNES but from what I hear it's one of the most difficult systems to emulate well.

I know there are a million NES emus out there but it's relatively easy and there's tons of documentation. It would be good to get that experience under my belt. Maybe TG16. Basically I would want to write an emu for a system I played a lot when I was younger.
I like all these systems ^ ^

- Like you said, NES probably would be the "easiest" choice since there are billions of people that could help you over at NESdev and ...well, you got a good bit of expierence from working with NesterGP and DC. :)
Strapping Scherzo wrote:If I do make an NES emu, I would try to make some crazy features. One feature I always thought would be neat is to render the sprites and background tiles using opengl or something similar. Then I would do silly stuff like make the sprites cast shadows onto the backgrounds. Maybe view the action from an angle. It would make every game like paper mario.
That sounds pretty sweet. :D - One thing I'm not sure about tho: I don't really know how the hardware works but wouldn't that also affect background elements for which the designers used sprites ?
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I would like to say "yes" but I like the emulator the way it is. Scherzo (just like any american male) for certain has no time to update this emulator anyways. Instead of NES we should try working on a different Hardware. Ever thought of Gnuboy...THAT NEEDS UPDATING SORELY. why? I don't like the pre-set button mapping,menu or the lack of true fullspeed.

*offtopic*
Why not have a Tg16 emu that is fully completed or maybe even a lynx emulator that works more then 1 game. I am not a devver and I am not complaining. The NES has TOO many emus out now, let's try to do something different.

For the record. I don't care what anyone says,even the devver...the SNES can't be full speed on DC ever. Knowing little of coding knowledge I can safely say that it's impossible. So you may say "why is genesis and neo geo fullspeed then?" The simple fact is those two don't have as much power under the hood. Snes has 2 graphic processors to be emulated AND a really hard sound processor to emulate. Hell even Zsnes has difficulty in emulating SOME sounds (I.E. Clayfighter intro). While the idea is nice in thought, impossible in reality.

*back on topic*
all I am going to say is Scherzo, do what you want. I like the emulator the way it is.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Christuserloeser

NesterDC SE is a damn great emulator ! But that doesn't mean that there aren't minor problems which could be fixed or improved. Personally I don't want "NesterDC SE II", I would love to see a minor update of the last release.

The Dreamcast got quite a few almost perfect emulators that only lack the final polish. - It would be fantastic to see SE perfected !
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

Christuserloeser wrote:NesterDC SE is a damn great emulator ! But that doesn't mean that there aren't minor problems which could be fixed or improved. Personally I don't want "NesterDC SE II", I would love to see a minor update of the last release.

The Dreamcast got quite a few almost perfect emulators that only lack the final polish. - It would be fantastic to see SE perfected !

My thoughts exactly. You could probably make a much small(er) compilation with the current build using only some of your favorite games, and probably not turn the dc laser into lava, but it would be nice to not even have to think about it, and load your cd with whatever you have to throw at it. It seems with all the rich features he included in SE, that was the vision (to load it with whatever you like).