Chui's port of Neverball, a Super Monkey Ball clone

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Christuserloeser
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Chui's port of Neverball, a Super Monkey Ball clone

Post by Christuserloeser »

Chui released a port of Neverball:
chui wrote:

Nerverball is a free Monkey Ball game clone: Tilt the floor to roll a ball through an obstacle course before time runs out. Neverball is part puzzle game, part action game, and entirely a test of skill.

Also Neverputt game is included, it is a pretty mini-golf game: A hot-seat multiplayer miniature golf game using the physics and graphics of Neverball.

For now, it is a preliminar stage and it have a lot of bugs, as memory leaks (hangs after play a lot of stages) or musics lost sometimes.

Download Discjuggler image HERE.

Please post HERE about bugs.

Ron uploaded some videos of the game:
ron wrote:Here you have a couple of videos.

Source: DCEmu UK
Insane homebrew collector.
skroooagh
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Chui's port of Neverball, a Super Monkey Ball clone

Post by skroooagh »

Whoa, I posted asking about a port of this here about a week ago, and here it is! I'm just gonna assume this happened because of me, regardless of whether I made any difference at all haha, it's good for my ego :D
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

How cool is that‽ That is definitely one worth downloading!
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Extremely impressive! How was it done? I mean, this game uses OpenGL a lot, and I thought that was hard to port. Anyway, a very nice release! Will be great fun to play.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I saw this on UK last week...which is pretty exciting, because this is one of the ports people have been asking for *forever*. I had even contacted the original author about it a couple years ago, but he was having trouble figuring out KOS.

One problem though: the link doesn't work!
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Yeah, I was waiting for a working link to post the news :P
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Strange, the link's not working...
Juan wrote:Yeah, I was waiting for a working link to post the news :P
I downloaded it right after I posted here =P

Anyway, did you guys read what Chui posted at DCEmu UK ?
Yes, this game is SDL+OpenGL.
I am completing KGLX and getting many progress.

For testing and debugging, i use Neverball. :D

Once KGLX is fully ported, it might be possible to use it in nxMakaqu, yes ? :o

Edit: Fackue also posted a MR Logo for Neverball at DCEmu:
fackue wrote:Incase anyone wants it, I made a mr logo.

Insane homebrew collector.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Still doesn't seem to be working. It just forwards me to his site, which doesn't have a link to this particular project.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Still doesn't seem to be working. It just forwards me to his site, which doesn't have a link to this particular project.
Same here... In Firefox. Just tried Opera and it downloaded :|
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Juan wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
Same here... In Firefox. Just tried Opera and it downloaded :|
Weird.

And for the record, I'm in Safari. I guess there's no point in switching browsers, because the only other thing I have on here is Camino...which is a Firefox variant.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Seems to be down again because it was working when I posted. I checked if I still had it but I don't, I would have uploaded it somewhere.
oafan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by oafan »

here it is uploaded to rapidshare for anyone who wants it or wants to upload to a better place

http://rapidshare.com/files/40915990/ne ... 1.rar.html
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

oafan wrote:here it is uploaded to rapidshare for anyone who wants it or wants to upload to a better place

http://rapidshare.com/files/40915990/ne ... 1.rar.html
Danke!

I tried to upload it directly to the forum, but it's way past the size limitation. Perhaps someone (DarkSaviour? nudgenudgewinkwink) could get this hosted properly somewhere?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I have spent some time with the game now, and here are my impressions:

First off: for the record, I have been playing Neverball since its early incarnations (read: before they added the shiny shader effects, and extra variations like Neverputt). So I have at least some familiarity with the source material. That said....

The port is clearly an early effort, but it is very playable as is. I spent some time in both Neverball and Neverputt, and both function properly, at least on a basic level. There are a few weird physics glitches in Neverputt, but I think these are a problem with the actual game rather than with the port.

That said, there are numerous glitches:
- as noted, there is a horrible memory leak. If you turn on backgrounds and high-quality visuals, the game will hang after four or five tables. With these options turned off, the game will play for considerably longer.
- there are significant transparency issues. In Neverball, the ball itself is transparent, to aid visibility. However, this does not work right...the ball is crosshatched, and usually starts off invisible. Once you start moving, it layers in. Also, levels that use transparency effects will suffer some odd video glitches, depending on the particular situation.
- the textures are all low-resolution. I don't know if this is something Chui did deliberately, or just a result of the way the game code currently stands, but it is clear that all the textures are in "low-res" mode. You can go to the options screen and change this, but the game will still show low-resolution textures. I suspect the high-res textures have either been omitted from the disc image, or low-res mode is hard coded into this port.
- there are some audio buffering issues. The music sometimes cuts out, and reappears almost randomly (if you trigger an event, call up the menu, etc.). Also, the ball rebound sample seems to echo and "repeat" sometimes for no reason during play.
- physics don't seem to be quite right with vertically moving platforms. The ball either moves through them, or is "pushed" out of them...and then continues to drift in that direction infinitely until you do something, regardless of other objects or boundaries.
- the analog stick could use more range. Maybe I'm just used to "real" Monkey Ball, but it doesn't feel like I can tilt the stage quite as much as I should be able to. Moving the stick to an extreme feels like it should tilt the stage a bit more, especially given how light and floaty the ball is in Neverball. This makes control rather imprecise, and makes heavily slanted stages rather difficult.

Other than that, any objects or complaints seem to be inherent to Neverball. It's good work, and I hope Chui continues to refine this.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

UPDATE: I take it back about the low-res textures; I guess I'm just too used to more recent games to tell the difference :oops: .

However, be warned: turning on high-res textures and/or backgrounds will cause the game to run out of memory and hang. If you leave all the settings on default, it should be fine...but up the quality, and it'll crash after a few levels.
Archonn
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Archonn »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I have spent some time with the game now, and here are my impressions:

First off: for the record, I have been playing Neverball since its early incarnations (read: before they added the shiny shader effects, and extra variations like Neverputt). So I have at least some familiarity with the source material. That said....
First thing, i can't get it to work decently at my PC, so i have no familiarity with the source material (the framerate is terrible)... well, that's why i have a Dreamcast!
- as noted, there is a horrible memory leak. If you turn on backgrounds and high-quality visuals, the game will hang after four or five tables. With these options turned off, the game will play for considerably longer.
Depends on what levels you're playing, there are some levels that are very memory-intensive, playing these repeatedly crashes the game no matter what are the visuals' quality. And the game just crashes after some levels anyway. No big deal, really.
- there are significant transparency issues. In Neverball, the ball itself is transparent, to aid visibility. However, this does not work right...the ball is crosshatched, and usually starts off invisible. Once you start moving, it layers in. Also, levels that use transparency effects will suffer some odd video glitches, depending on the particular situation.
The transparency issues (starting off invisible, and later layering in) are a result of playing with enhanced graphics, or playing the memory-intensive levels (Try Hard-17 for the most extreme example of this). The different ball style (instead of the black-and-white used in the usual binaries) is no glitch, try downloading the PC binaries and replacing the folders with the ones from the Dreamcast CD. It'll change the ball and the coins. And i got no odd video glitches, the transparency effects on levels were just removed and the blocks turned into solid blocks, not depending on any particular situation. BTW, this makes Mehdi-5 completely unplayable, and Mehdi-13 gets even more harder (as if Mehdi levels weren't hard enough).
- there are some audio buffering issues. The music sometimes cuts out, and reappears almost randomly (if you trigger an event, call up the menu, etc.). Also, the ball rebound sample seems to echo and "repeat" sometimes for no reason during play.
Never had any problems with the sound effects so far, but that music thing does happen. If the music cuts out, pause and unpause the game. It should come back.
- physics don't seem to be quite right with vertically moving platforms. The ball either moves through them, or is "pushed" out of them...and then continues to drift in that direction infinitely until you do something, regardless of other objects or boundaries.
I couldn't understand this part. The "moves through them" i understand, apparently the ball can pass through a lot of supposedly solid objects, a glitch i have no idea if it is in the original game or not, but i couldn't understand anything from "'pushed' out of them" to the end.
- the analog stick could use more range. Maybe I'm just used to "real" Monkey Ball, but it doesn't feel like I can tilt the stage quite as much as I should be able to. Moving the stick to an extreme feels like it should tilt the stage a bit more, especially given how light and floaty the ball is in Neverball. This makes control rather imprecise, and makes heavily slanted stages rather difficult.
I feel the analog range is quite right, even if i never played the original, or Monkey Ball. And the game seems to agree with me; there's a Mehdi level (M-18) where the pre-game text states that achieving maximum speed is recommended to cross the first slope, and tilting the analog stick all the way forward put me precisely at the higher end of the slope (too bad the following superfast horizontally moving platforms proved to be much of a challenge to my puny skillz).

On the other hand, this statement "Moving the stick to an extreme feels like it should tilt the stage a bit more" is correct, as you can see for yourself. Tilt the stick all the way to a direction, then, while paying attention to the stage, sightly move the stick in the opposite direction (for example, move the stick all the way up, then go back down just a little). The stage will first tilt along with the stick, but it won't "untilt". I guess this is a kind of "safety" range, because some sticks get loose (see n64 analogs), and if the game was programmed to use all of the stick's range, then many used or third-party analog sticks would be at a serious disadvantage (as they don't have all of the original detection range available to them).
It's good work, and I hope Chui continues to refine this.
Totally agree with you, man, this game rules, and i can honestly say this is one of those moments were you're just glad you own a Dreamcast.
Oh, and one thing, i didn't know you could change the settings, i thought the game was locked on the lowest possible options since i couldn't get lower than the fullscreen/640x480 line, the cursor simply didn't get there, but after i saw this post, i tried again and it worked. So thanks for being the first person to actually post decent opinions on this port AND for giving me a clue on the settings.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

DaMadFiddler wrote:- as noted, there is a horrible memory leak. If you turn on backgrounds and high-quality visuals, the game will hang after four or five tables. With these options turned off, the game will play for considerably longer.
My guess is that the memory leaks are caused by SDL. I know that memory leaks are one of the reasons that I stopped using SDL for ljsdcdev RPG. That said, I've tried looking through the SDL source code, and I didn't find anything that struck me as being a huge memory leak, so it still baffles me.

I hope chui's SDL that (he doesn't use the one that's actually included with KOS, but rather a specialized version) leaks memory less than the normal one. I honestly couldn't see how anything really complex could be done without fixing a lot of problems with the version of SDL in KOS.
Deth2k7
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Deth2k7 »

This is a pretty sweet release.
And here is the download if anyone still needs it:
Neverball alpha
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

http://darksavant0.dsleague.com/downloa ... alpha1.rar
^Mirror^

As for the download itself, Firefox does something weird and I think the hosting redirects it to the homepage. If you retry the link with the window on Chui's page, the download works. In case anyone else has a similar problem in the future.

I will make sure to test this once I get a new pack of CD-Rs. Seems "intriguing" to say the least.