VC/DC version 0.1a released.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
patbier
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: VC/DC version 0.1a released.

Post by patbier »

Thanks for your message (I think I should do the same "still alive" message)
ImageAlice Dreams Tournament Dreamcast fans : http://www.facebook.com/alicedreamst
In August 2015, we had to change "Dynamite Dreams" name to "Alice Dreams Tournament"
dream devil
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dream devil »

Do u intend to make a new player?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

I intend to. I have been busy with other things lately. I have made progress, but it's not in a release-worthy state.
dream devil
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dream devil »

Cool. I saw your strength in making that player, i loved it. you rock :lol: :lol:
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

OneThirty8 wrote:Centering a 320x240 video at that resolution would mean that a lot of the screen would remain black, because I use a 640x480 screen. At some point, I should be able to support such a thing somehow. Handling of various aspect ratios is a pretty important feature that is missing from VC/DC, and this request pretty much seems to fall in line with that.
Could you provide me with a beta that decodes 320x240 centered in 640x480 so I could do some tests ?
OneThirty8 wrote:Resolution will make a difference. The more data that needs to be copied to the video hardware each frame, the more likely it is that you'll run into speed issues. If you're going to cut the resolution in half, I would suggest halving it the other way around--reduce the width to something like 352 and keep the height at 480 or so. Most decent decoders should display such a video correctly by stretching it back out as long as the video stream contains the correct aspect ratio information, and it should look better that way.
I asked because Panzer Dragoon Zwei on Sega Saturn runs at 640x224 - and it looks great.

If this effect could be reproduced with MPG video at 352x480 like you proposed, that would be something.
Insane homebrew collector.
Shapyi
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Shapyi »

Any signs of life for this project?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

I work on it when I have time. Lately, I've been busy with work and other real-life stuff.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Christuserloeser wrote: Could you provide me with a beta that decodes 320x240 centered in 640x480 so I could do some tests ?
I may try to implement something that will allow that at some point. It's certainly possible (and would be quite easy) to do so, but it's not a priority.

The reason for posting is that I'm tinkering with my code again. I may release something soon or I may get bogged down with real life again, but this project is certainly not abandoned. I know there are a few people interested in seeing a new release. Tonight, I think I finally figured out how to display videos in either 16:9 or 4:3. I only have one 16:9 video to test with (the Age of the Beast trailer), but it finally displays correctly. Other than that, I now have bugs to squash and menu-type things to make prettier, and a lot of cleaning up to do in the source code (I'm very sloppy when it comes to writing code so that others can read it without too much of a headache). I might decide that I need to tweak the sound code some more or fiddle with the synchronization code, but those are both very much improved over the last version.
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

I know there are a few people interested in seeing a new release.
Yes . :)
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

Oh yes, there are!
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Basil wrote:
Maturion wrote:Oh yes, there are!
That's good to know! :-)

I'm going to do my best to get something out fairly soon. I haven't managed to work in everything that I wanted to include, but I'm much happier with the playback quality that I'm getting. I meant to spend the other night coding and testing and ended up just watching The Empire Strikes Back.
Shapyi
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Shapyi »

OneThirty8 wrote:
Basil wrote:
Maturion wrote:Oh yes, there are!
That's good to know! :-)

I'm going to do my best to get something out fairly soon. I haven't managed to work in everything that I wanted to include, but I'm much happier with the playback quality that I'm getting. I meant to spend the other night coding and testing and ended up just watching The Empire Strikes Back.
Great to hear you found some time to work on this project. I am looking forward to the next version :grin:
Christluu
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Christluu »

any news of this project ?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

I have been too busy lately to get a new release polished up. I keep meaning to do it, but stuff gets in the way. I'm hoping that it won't be too much longer. It's long overdue for an update.