If Bleem did it, why can't the homebrew scene?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
pdracox
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

If Bleem did it, why can't the homebrew scene?

Post by pdracox » Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:27 pm

If bleem was able to emulate psx games full speed and sound, not to mention graphic enhancements. Why can't our great homebrew coders do it? I'd kill to be able to buy final fantasy chronicles or final fantasy 9 and play them on my dreamcast.
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary » Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:28 pm

too tough and illegal
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo » Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:36 pm

Not illegal. But keep in mind the Bleem guys did it as a job, and had already written an emu for PC. Beyond that, Rand has years of console programming experience, and even that had to hack up his code to make it work with specific games (it was hardly a general emu). It didn't even seem possible for them to produce a multi game one easily...it won't happen. Wait for an Xbox emu if you want, but you'll never see it on DC.
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary » Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:39 pm

Wasgo wrote:Not illegal. But keep in mind the Bleem guys did it as a job, and had already written an emu for PC. Beyond that, Rand has years of console programming experience, and even that had to hack up his code to make it work with specific games (it was hardly a general emu). It didn't even seem possible for them to produce a multi game one easily...it won't happen. Wait for an Xbox emu if you want, but you'll never see it on DC.
hmmmmmm I see your point. But Sony would try and make it illegal, as it did with Bleem! Track down the authors, tell them to cease and desist........
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters » Sat Apr 20, 2002 12:04 am

pkScary wrote:
Wasgo wrote:Not illegal. But keep in mind the Bleem guys did it as a job, and had already written an emu for PC. Beyond that, Rand has years of console programming experience, and even that had to hack up his code to make it work with specific games (it was hardly a general emu). It didn't even seem possible for them to produce a multi game one easily...it won't happen. Wait for an Xbox emu if you want, but you'll never see it on DC.
hmmmmmm I see your point. But Sony would try and make it illegal, as it did with Bleem! Track down the authors, tell them to cease and desist........
With what legal basis? The only thing they had on Bleem! was that they were making profit off of their system. They can do nothing about an open source emu. that uses nothing that Sony copyrighted.
SlimDady
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SlimDady » Sat Apr 20, 2002 12:58 am

Yup.. they did not use the bios or anything.

You would think that it would be good for sony, selling more titles on a dead system... Bleem could have increased sales of games
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss » Sat Apr 20, 2002 3:24 am

Rand could have easily tweeked the MGS pack to also play the VR missions... that would have made it a multi game pack and also would have made MGS Integral (the japanise rerelease that included VRmissions) compatable. The engine for the two games is almost 100% identical.

But he chose not to... and since the engines are almost identical then it wouldnt be the same as putting say... silent hill and resident evil in a pack together.

And the PSX/PSone is still far from a dead system... Sony is still licenseing and producing games for it. They are still making PSone consoles too. Considering PSX games are compatable with PS2 it will keep the PSX games alive for a good while still... (may stay alive even after the PS3 is released as a niche for bargan priced games... especially if PS3 is psx and ps2 compatable)
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary » Sat Apr 20, 2002 11:13 am

redraider225 wrote:
pkScary wrote:
With what legal basis? The only thing they had on Bleem! was that they were making profit off of their system. They can do nothing about an open source emu. that uses nothing that Sony copyrighted.
oh really? I didn't know that.

I would have thought sony would still get mad becuase people could buy a Dreamcast to play their games instead of a PSOne.
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish
God Of All Things Sporkish

Post by EvilSporkMan » Sat Apr 20, 2002 11:49 am

they'd get mad about it for sure, who likes competition? I've never understood why competition of that sort is illegal in the video game industry, though. If that carried over to other industries, only sony players could play sony VHS tapes, only CD players made my a certain company could play their CD's, et cetera ad nauseum.
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
Specially Cork
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Specially Cork » Sat Apr 20, 2002 1:25 pm

A world like that would be pathetic.
Thats why I think what Sony did was pathetic, but thats jsut an old opinion that a lot of people have made.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack » Sat Apr 20, 2002 3:00 pm

Isnt someone working on a PSX emulator for DC, ro did that turn out to be fake too?
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound » Sat Apr 20, 2002 4:37 pm

TheDumbAss wrote:Rand could have easily tweeked the MGS pack to also play the VR missions... that would have made it a multi game pack and also would have made MGS Integral (the japanise rerelease that included VRmissions) compatable. The engine for the two games is almost 100% identical.

But he chose not to... and since the engines are almost identical then it wouldnt be the same as putting say... silent hill and resident evil in a pack together.

And the PSX/PSone is still far from a dead system... Sony is still licenseing and producing games for it. They are still making PSone consoles too. Considering PSX games are compatable with PS2 it will keep the PSX games alive for a good while still... (may stay alive even after the PS3 is released as a niche for bargan priced games... especially if PS3 is psx and ps2 compatable)
Bleem!Cast MGS works just fine with the Greatest Hits version which has the VR Missions.

Oh and for the topic:

Why the homebrew scene can't is because we don't have the experience. Rand had SNES experience, because he remade Doom for the SNES. Also, it was pure ASM, which DreamSNES is coded in, but I think that only the video engine is coded in SH4.. can anyone verify this? Also, the DC has 2 processors, teh sound (ARM) and the other one (SH4). At the moment the DreamSNES team can't get the sound to be on the ARM because it isn't powerful enough.

If only Rand would have passed on some of the knowledge and shortcuts that he found to make Bleem!cast work to the homebrew programmers...
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Apr 20, 2002 4:49 pm

When Rand was still regularly active site on the site, he would often help out newbie programmers in the programming forums a lot... I'm pretty sure he gave crt0 a whole bunch of help on IRC 'back in the day' too
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound » Sat Apr 20, 2002 4:55 pm

Dr_Wily wrote:When Rand was still regularly active site on the site, he would often help out newbie programmers in the programming forums a lot... I'm pretty sure he gave crt0 a whole bunch of help on IRC 'back in the day' too
Yeah... if only I knew about DCEmu "back in the day." It sounded really... less lamerish.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by |darc| » Sat Apr 20, 2002 5:10 pm

404NotFound wrote:
TheDumbAss wrote:Rand could have easily tweeked the MGS pack to also play the VR missions... that would have made it a multi game pack and also would have made MGS Integral (the japanise rerelease that included VRmissions) compatable. The engine for the two games is almost 100% identical.

Bleem!Cast MGS works just fine with the Greatest Hits version which has the VR Missions.
The original version has VR missions too, but there was a separate game released that is just a huge pack of VR missions.

There are 3 PSX emulators for DC right now: Kami/sp00nz/Wagh's PSX Emu (nameless as far as i know), crt0's PSe-X, and bleem!

Kami's and crt0's are not anywhere near playing a real game. Both have been cancelled.

bleem!.... you know.

Blur! is another PSX emu in production, presumed to be fake. the author has disappeared...
It's thinking...
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe » Sun Apr 21, 2002 2:17 am

Rand had lots of valuable experience going into the production of Bleemcast, but perhaps the biggest factor is that when he was writing Bleem, that was his fulltime job, along with the other coders involved - and it still took him over a year to get the first Bleempak on the market. That was probably over 100 man hours each week, at least.

Nobody whos working on this stuff as a hobby can afford to put a fraction of those kind of hours in.
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden » Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:22 am

I'd like to believe that 20+ years of programming experience had a little to do with it as well, but you never know ;-)

Rand.
DJ Samba D
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by DJ Samba D » Sun Apr 21, 2002 5:51 am

Rand Linden wrote:I'd like to believe that 20+ years of programming experience had a little to do with it as well, but you never know ;-)

Rand.
It might play a slight part :lol:
Oh well, on behalf of the DCEmu scene - lol, it's nice to hear from you again Rand, you will always be remembered for your work on the Bleem!Cast packs, and showing us all that PSX Emulation is possible on the Dreamcast.

Tom
Jeeba Jabba, On Pinoy, wrote:First, Learn how to speak english and spell. Second, Yes you have the right of Freedom of Speech, So do I. I can get pissed at you're ignorant self for saying dumber things than Miko or Great One... Now thats low
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound » Sun Apr 21, 2002 8:36 am

Rand Linden wrote:I'd like to believe that 20+ years of programming experience had a little to do with it as well, but you never know ;-)

Rand.
Yes, experience is key really. And i thought u disappeared forever :lol:

Best wishes in whatever you are doing...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by |darc| » Sun Apr 21, 2002 8:58 am

It's nice to see you around again Rand. We know you care about something else besides profit; Otherwise, you wouldn't be here because bleem! is..... :(

Anyways, good luck in the future on whatever it is that you may be doing.

BTW, if you remember me, I'm ChaoticSonic :P
It's thinking...