New GenesisPlus: GPDCQ-01202007

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Christuserloeser
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Post by Christuserloeser »

jessman wrote:Aren't all PAL games ruined by slower sound and music on the Genesis? I mean, aren't they all different from the original NTSC versions?
Yes, they are. But in this case it's actually a problem with the sound fixes in combination with the low sample rate. That's the reason why most games now have their FM sound played 2x as fast as it should
Insane homebrew collector.
fox68k
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0

Post by fox68k »

Christuserloeser wrote:
However, the improvement is that now a newer version of FAME is implemented, which allows us to report games that do not work with the new FAME version (like Streets of Rage II).
There are some problems running GPDC with FAME. Those are related with the way GPDC treats IRQs. I managed to see this debugging an original GP build.
FAME leaves IRQs activated until they are attended or deactivated but some IRQs raised by GP are not attended immediately after activation. They could be incorrectly attended anytime as soon as it gets unmasked.
While i could fix the problem in there (making possible to run SOR2 and others), i do not with the lastest GPDC sources Quzar sent me sometime ago.

Cheers.
- fox68k -
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

Christuserloeser wrote:No, it's a Dreamcast emu for the Mega Drive.
lol
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I encountered a massive problem with this version. when coping my roms from the other disc of the older GP release (the one released that you used the stupid rom lister) anyways when I try to make a disc on boot dreams....I get the Windows XP Blue Screen of death..and my system reboots. May I ask why this is happening? oh and when I make a image of nero using boot dreams, I burn the disc and I just get "Track01" and it doesn't boot on my DC. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.
Have you played dreamcast today?
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

Not to disrespect the coders, but this version is trully not worth the download...many games that worked before are broken and the sound is ridiculous on many games as well. This FAME core needs a lot of tuning. I ran the last Blackaura release next to this release on my 2 DC's and there is no improvement in total quality but rather a slight step back because of the games that don't work and the sound. If you already have BA's release before this one it would be wise to just stick with it until there are tweaks done to this release.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

oh well. I can't burn the fucker anyways so might as well just forget until a "better" version is released.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

jessman wrote:Aren't all PAL games ruined by slower sound and music on the Genesis? I mean, aren't they all different from the original NTSC versions?
There were a handful of games fully optimized for PAL machines (Alien 3 is one of them), and a much greater number of games that were designed for the PAL market from the start (Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder, Micro Machines). I've played the latter two on my Nomad, and they're a lot more difficult when they're sped up 20% :).

Aside from some of the oldest games, the vast majority had their sound fixed for the PAL release so that it played at the same speed as the NTSC original release, although gameplay remained slow (and the display featured borders).

It annoys me that PAL developers are able to create a product that plays at full speed and full screen in all markets (GTA, Burnout, TimeSplitters etc), but NTSC developers rarely do the same - although PAL optimized ports and PAL60 options are becoming increasingly common. I was quite shocked when I went into HMV a couple of days ago and saw shelves of Xbox 360 games with most of them proudly proclaiming by way of a large icon on the front of the case that they are only playable in a 60Hz mode.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Curiosity Wins

Post by TechnoWolf »

Okay, I know half of you are saying to wait for the next release of this new build, but my curiosity is killing me. I mostly want Gen for sonic1 anyway. (sonic1 has problems on BA release: if you play far enough to get to the 1st boss, you'll see what I mean right away.)
So here's where I need help...here's what I did: I slapped the working BA CD-R (built from .SBI) in my PC, and copied the whole CD onto my C:\ drive. I then replaced the IP.BIN with the new one, and then replaced the .BIN which was in the 'EMUS' folder with the new .BIN containing all the new source code. I built a TAO Nero image with SBI, burnt it, (same process I used for BA release) and nada on the DC.....The DC resets itself before SBI gets a shot at loading.
Can someone make a .SBI file of this new build available for download? That way, It's more newbie-proof (people like me), and there's no questions about folder structure, etc? Note that for whatever insane reason, I can't use BootDreams on my computer. It creates a fatal error in XP every time (I love Microsoft). Hats off to everyone involved in the continuing work on this, and for making this conversation a conversation at all.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Re: Curiosity Wins

Post by Dreamcast4life »

TechnoWolf wrote:Okay, I know half of you are saying to wait for the next release of this new build, but my curiosity is killing me. I mostly want Gen for sonic1 anyway. (sonic1 has problems on BA release: if you play far enough to get to the 1st boss, you'll see what I mean right away.)
So here's where I need help...here's what I did: I slapped the working BA CD-R (built from .SBI) in my PC, and copied the whole CD onto my C:\ drive. I then replaced the IP.BIN with the new one, and then replaced the .BIN which was in the 'EMUS' folder with the new .BIN containing all the new source code. I built a TAO Nero image with SBI, burnt it, (same process I used for BA release) and nada on the DC.....The DC resets itself before SBI gets a shot at loading.
Can someone make a .SBI file of this new build available for download? That way, It's more newbie-proof (people like me), and there's no questions about folder structure, etc? Note that for whatever insane reason, I can't use BootDreams on my computer. It creates a fatal error in XP every time (I love Microsoft). Hats off to everyone involved in the continuing work on this, and for making this conversation a conversation at all.
Wow Technowolf I have the same problem. Everytime I run bootdreams using Either CD record or creating a CDI file and burn with Bootdreams it makes a fatal error either after the burn starts or during the process but then when I burn with Alcohol or nero it burns it but says "track01" on the CD and doesn't boot at all. I made this cd before with the older release and never had problems after the Rom Lister tool came out. I happend to burn some CDIs last night that I got off a torrent site and didn't have a problem using alcohol so. I don't know wtf is up but still I am going to await the next version.

If we are lucky the next version will run Gunstar heroes with out having the sound go into hyper mode lol.
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

GUNSTAR HEROES.... One of my fav's too. Yeah, I gave up on BootDreams. I can't intelligently say how it works under Quzar's build since I'm limited by my own knowledge of how to burn his...LOL...but Gunstar plays great for me under BA's GPWT from June06. If you're still having trouble, (being we have the same problem, it sounds) follow my tutorial in:
viewtopic.php?t=89720&highlight=gpwt&si ... a52a37cfde
I had to use SBI, and build a Nero TAO, and it worked great.
Christuserloeser

I've made a SBI for Quzar's version:
http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelopmen ... -Quzar.sbi

The SBI for BlackAura's version can be found at DCHelp (it's called 'GenesisPlusDC-gpwt-260706-BlackAura.sbi') or downloaded here (right-click and 'save target as').

Until the sound problems in Quzar's build are fixed, I'd recommend using BlackAura's build.
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

Excellent, Thank you!!!!!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Christuserloeser wrote:I've made a SBI for Quzar's version:
http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelopmen ... -Quzar.sbi

The SBI for BlackAura's version can be found at DCHelp (it's called 'GenesisPlusDC-gpwt-260706-BlackAura.sbi') or downloaded here (right-click and 'save target as').

Until the sound problems in Quzar's build are fixed, I'd recommend using BlackAura's build.
lol, you beg me to release it, then advise against using it =P (i was gonna release it anyways, and I'll fix it eventually).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

I'm just happy I can try your version, Quzar. Thanks for your work!
As far as the advising on the BA build.....[clear throat]....That's between y'all. :o

UPDATE:
Okay, I've tried Quzar's version...I won't restate the obvious, we know he's working on sound, but Quzar, I've harped on something that people are probably sick of hearing, and that's a possible deeper issue with the FAME core. Sonic 1 is rendered unplayable as it kills you no matter what at the first boss in level 1, zone 3. It also does not support the "bonus" screen after a qualifying level. This is true across all GenesisPlusDC releases to present. The same rom plays flawless on PC "Gens"..LOL..It's not an issue of gamer skill, there IS an inherent problem. I just want to make sure the bug is in your ear, Quzar. (no pun intended). I also understand I'm probably sighting something that's common knowledge?? But want to be sure it's noted. I don't know if similar issues are true with other roms, I simply haven't played too far into too many others yet. (The others I HAVE seem fine, though).
OKAY, I promise everyone, I won't bring up Sonic1 ever again! :wink:
Last edited by TechnoWolf on Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Try it with C68k. In general c68k is fast enough to play everything fullspeed anyways. In fox68k's defense, fame is quite a bit less buggy than CZ80. I'll see about doing a runtime switch for z80 cores (or just tossing cz80) for the next release, aside of course from fixing the sound speed.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Salamander2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Salamander2 »

i couldnt run this.
neither bootdreams or sbi run on my computer.
and when burned with nero or alcohol or even cdrecord,
a track 01 appears.

anyone who have this...
GLAY LANCER and CONTRA(jp) are playable?

when someone will post a version without the need for programs
listing the roms?

thx and sorry for the inconvenience...
"...they are carrying the last hope: to save planet Gradius...on their wings..."
GRADIUS TRIBUTE for Dreamcast!
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

Quzar wrote:Try it with C68k. In general c68k is fast enough to play everything fullspeed anyways. In fox68k's defense, fame is quite a bit less buggy than CZ80. I'll see about doing a runtime switch for z80 cores (or just tossing cz80) for the next release, aside of course from fixing the sound speed.
Okay, just tried it. In c68k HW, The prog reports:
Illegal Instruction $ 19c20032
I tried all other combinations, only way sonic1 plays at all is in FAME HW, with the problems mentioned in my previous post.
Thanks.
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

Salamander2 wrote:i couldnt run this.
a track 01 appears.

anyone who have this...

listing the roms?

Hear me out and try the SBInducer4 program which is contained in the following download.
http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelopmen ... -tools.zip
I had the same problem with SBInducer.exe from ANY other source...don't ask why, but this one works for me. Uninstall / delete your current SBI soft.
The idea of a version without futzing with roms is simply not possible? The only way would be to make available an image with roms and you just burn....but we can't do that since roms are "a grey area".
Follow my tutorial at viewtopic.php?t=89720&highlight=gpwt verbatim, and confidence is high that it will work. Then using the same concepts, make one of Quzar's off the .SBI just posted here.
Hope that helps....sure it will if followed verbatim.
And Oh, yes to the playable ?

PS: Make sure nothing else within reason is running in background on your system...IE: unmount any virtual drive images, close out of daemon manager, close out DVD43, etc...etc... before you begin.
Last edited by TechnoWolf on Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Christuserloeser

Quzar wrote:
Christuserloeser wrote:Until the sound problems in Quzar's build are fixed, I'd recommend using BlackAura's build.
lol, you beg me to release it, then advise against using it =P
:oops: ...I swear that the games I tested do run great.
Quzar wrote:(i was gonna release it anyways, and I'll fix it eventually).
Glad to hear that. Maybe you could try and enable 24khz sound and see how good it will run with the new FAME version... That should also fix the sound problems as eke-eke mentioned that the won't work with low sample rates.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

TechnoWolf wrote:
Salamander2 wrote:i couldnt run this.
a track 01 appears.

anyone who have this...

listing the roms?

Hear me out and try the SBInducer4 program which is contained in the following download.
http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelopmen ... -tools.zip
I had the same problem with SBInducer.exe from ANY other source...don't ask why, but this one works for me. Uninstall / delete your current SBI soft.
The idea of a version without futzing with roms is simply not possible? The only way would be to make available an image with roms and you just burn....but we can't do that since roms are "a grey area".
Follow my tutorial at viewtopic.php?t=89720&highlight=gpwt verbatim, and confidence is high that it will work. Then using the same concepts, make one of Quzar's off the .SBI just posted here.
Hope that helps....sure it will if followed verbatim.
And Oh, yes to the playable ?

PS: Make sure nothing else within reason is running in background on your system...IE: unmount any virtual drive images, close out of daemon manager, close out DVD43, etc...etc... before you begin.
Boy dude do I feel like a dumb shit....I ran DVD 43 while burning these programs >_< when I disable it, I got it working alright. This version is...ok but still I have a few CD-Rs left and will save them for the next version. Damn dvd 43......even though its a great thing if you know what i mean.