I don't know where you get your information, but pretty much everything in that post was wrong. I use a release of fame that is almost a year newer than the one in BA's last release, the post you reference discusses an issue common to FAME in general, not to the specific version I used. The only way you could possibly get 20fps difference is with c68k+software vs fame+hardware. Neo4all works because the rendering system can be faked with 20 lines of code (I should know). I'd bet that genplusdc can play more games percentagewise than Neo4allCD can considering it doesn't do scanline emulation (which means that it can only properly play about 90% of it's software).Christuserloeser wrote:One thing is that in your release, C68k performs noticeably slower than in BA's. That's a big problem as your build is using a beta version of FAME from 2006 that doesn't work half as good as the earlier one used in BA's build (Fox68k explained why here: viewtopic.php?p=938607#p938607).
So all in all, your version isn't that bad but it doesn't fix the issues that BA's "official" release had, broke most of those games that needed FAME to work at all, and introduced a slight decrease in C68k's performance (no idea why, maybe because of something simple as slightly different compiler flags).
Yes, I've never had many severe problems when using c68k so I've always assumed fame was the issue. I don't know if you've looked at any of my bits, but more recently I was able to tune up the twiddling thing a bit more (one of the more apparent todos in your code). If you're interested I could foward that bit over to you. The last large chunk of work I did was to write in an interface that I had worked on for another emulator for z80 emulation. The idea is an interface that works just like the API for a z80 emulator but with a function to change the core being used. The end goal would be to have cz80, mame's z80, and crabz80 all running transparently.BlackAura wrote:What I always found even more surprising is that I've not been able to get FAME to work at all. I got pretty much the same problems you guys had with Quzar's build - virtually nothing works, and those games that do work are full of all kinds of strange bugs.
Yep. Restoring MAME's CPU emulator fixes a lot of games, but causes an even bigger slowdown when sound is enabled.both cores also depend on CZ80 which likely is the reason for most of the incompatibility issues with many games in BA's build
That's pretty much how I've felt. About my own changes to it, that is. It's an absolute bastard to improve further - there's nothing that can really be sped up without rewriting huge chunks of the emulator again, it's too slow to spend extra CPU time improving video / audio quality, and it's so fiddly, brittle and difficult to debug that improving compatibility is nearly impossible. Same problem with trying to add features - even adding GUI stuff to it increases memory usage and causes random crashes as it exhausts the heap.Quzar wrote:was extremely dissapointed by my attempts at it though
Not to mention that, as the codebase diverges further from the original, it becomes much more difficult to incorporate fixes from other branches (such as all the compatibility fixes from the GameCube version).
I'm glad to see though that you're still around at all.