Sega CD on Dreamcast?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
neoknux_009
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sega CD on Dreamcast?

Post by neoknux_009 »

pretty straight foward. any info on sega/mega cd emulated on the dc? or it its even possible to place it while over its own genesis emulation?
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

possible? yes/maybe.

there are no sega cd emus at the mo, but "Heart of the Alien" was ported and "Monkey Island" works on ScummVM.
neoknux_009
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by neoknux_009 »

ok. so im curious one what allows some games to be ported while some cant, or is it possible to port all games. im honestly soely interested on getting sonic cd on my dc. and other good games if possible.
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zman »

Make an interpreter instead of a full emulator that takes advantage of the dreamcast hardware to run the cd's. More of a port that an emulation.

I often wonder why this is not done more often to emulate. It seems to me the best approach is the way that bleemcast was developed. One game at a time with hopes of all the games in the future. Interpret each games capabilities indivually to speed up emulation.
neoknux_009
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by neoknux_009 »

well i guess it would be much more complicated to make a different coding for each different game then to make an emulator for all games. then again, it its just for one game (sonic cd!) then i agree. (i dont have much experience with this programming stuff, honestly)

not to nag, but is there anyone willing to try and remake sonic dccd. i hate running emus on my com, it dosent feel right. emulators should run on proper succesors, ie dreamcast.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Interpreters can only be made when there are extremely clear distinctions between the engine and data in a game. Also, it helps to a HUGE degree if there are multiple games using the same engine (with multiple scripts or just different data) or if the same engine was simply ported to different platforms.

In general it's usually easier to find info on the hardware than on the software (which requires either guessing or extevsive reverse engineering).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man