DreamChess 0.1.0 released.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Phantom »

Saiyan Eye wrote:This is great, if I were to draw and color you guys some new characters would you use them if they were good enough?
Ofcourse we would. ;) Right now the avatars are linked to a theme, but in the future, when we have network play, the player should be able to choose their own avatar (or even use a photo of himself if he wants to, etc).
Saiyan Eye wrote:I think one thing that don't really matter would be facial expressions from these characters depending on moves, blinking and such too. What do you think about that? :?:
I think facial expressions would be great to have. Many things in DreamChess "don't really matter", but that's part of the fun. ;) However, currently the core team is just me and MrSiggler and we're not artists, which brings me to the following:

We're still looking for 2D artists, 3D modellers and sound/music people to join the team. ;)

On another note... there's a tiny easter egg tucked away in the game. Has anyone found it yet?
"Nothing works" - Catweazle
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Phantom wrote:However, currently the core team is just me and MrSiggler and we're not artists, which brings me to the following:

We're still looking for 2D artists, 3D modellers and sound/music people to join the team. ;)
Hey, I'm still here if you need anything. I told you guys all you had to do was ask.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

melancholy wrote:
Phantom wrote:We're still looking for 2D artists, 3D modellers and sound/music people to join the team. ;)
Hey, I'm still here if you need anything. I told you guys all you had to do was ask.
And we appreciate that, but it doesn't change what I just said. ;) We'd like for people to join the team and handle the graphics (on their own accord).
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Phantom wrote:
melancholy wrote:
Phantom wrote:We're still looking for 2D artists, 3D modellers and sound/music people to join the team. ;)
And we appreciate that, but it doesn't change what I just said. ;) We'd like for people to join the team and handle the graphics (on their own accord).
Well, I'd like to really get into more projects like this, to be honest. I feel like I'm not doing anything for the scene and I just want to dedicate some time to help out. So I guess my previous statement didn't really communicate my desire to be on the team. I don't know how much time I have to do stuff, but I really want to try.
MrSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by MrSiggler »

melancholy wrote:
Phantom wrote:
melancholy wrote:
Well, I'd like to really get into more projects like this, to be honest. I feel like I'm not doing anything for the scene and I just want to dedicate some time to help out. So I guess my previous statement didn't really communicate my desire to be on the team. I don't know how much time I have to do stuff, but I really want to try.
Me and Walter had a rather trying time with our graphics for this first release. Both in the design, and actually coming up with the graphics to use. It distracted us a fair bit near the end from the code itself, which is what we do.. not art ;) After having you look it over, and give me your suggestions, the final release was much better looking than the version I had sent you initially. Which would have likely wound up the final 'look'. We have you to thank for the nudge in the right direction, so I'm quite glad that you are on the team now ;) So, welcome! And as for time, don't forget, this first release took us three years. ;) There's never any rush.
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

melancholy wrote:So I guess my previous statement didn't really communicate my desire to be on the team. I don't know how much time I have to do stuff, but I really want to try.
That would be great. :) If you register an account at http://developer.berlios.de/, we can give you access to the repository.
MrSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by MrSiggler »

Phantom wrote: On another note... there's a tiny easter egg tucked away in the game. Has anyone found it yet?
Come on people! hunt hunt!
First person to post proof of finding it gets a special cookie ;)
F8
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by F8 »

Want original royalty-free instrumental soundtracks for the game? I have a slew of instrumental tunes perfect for video games.

http://www.captivatinguitar.com

Email me: fingercruncher@gmail.com if interested.
curtis_ray
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by curtis_ray »

games like this are an insult to the dreamcast's power. this would be great for snes dev..but dc? please...
Phantom
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Phantom »

curtis_ray wrote:games like this are an insult to the dreamcast's power. this would be great for snes dev..but dc? please...
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Comments like those are an insult to the Dreamcast scene. Go away.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

curtis_ray wrote:games like this are an insult to the dreamcast's power. this would be great for snes dev..but dc? please...
Stop being such a baby. Just because we won't host xdp or whatever anymore doesn't mean you have to get all pissy.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
MrSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by MrSiggler »

You must have had one hell of a powerful SNES.
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

clearly he has not even tried this release, MrSiggler and Phantom you doing a great job
segajoel
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by segajoel »

First person to post proof of finding it gets a special cookie
Nobody has found the "secret " yet?
XBOX 360 Gamercard:
SEGA DREAMCAST Gamercard:
Mazamitla 360°
MrSiggler
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by MrSiggler »

segajoel wrote:
First person to post proof of finding it gets a special cookie
Nobody has found the "secret " yet?
Not that I am aware of.. I suppose I will give a hint.
"Analog up."
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

OMG CHESS HILL ZONE
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

:headbash:

Want to hear a second opinion ? Here we go:

:guffaw:

Quzar wrote:Stop being such a baby. Just because we won't host xdp or whatever anymore doesn't mean you have to get all pissy.
It seems I somehow fail to miss the point where it does have anything to do with "xdp or whatever".

Isn't he like the one who posted the accussations that in the end were the reason for the ban on xpd/psd here at DCEmulation?
Insane homebrew collector.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

This game being released harms no one. If you don't like it, spare us your opinion. It's obvious, however, that you're just trolling, because this looks nothing like an SNES game.

Consider yourself warned.
It's thinking...
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Phantom wrote:We're looking for new developers to lead DreamChess in 2007. The current team will be too busy with other projects to put a lot of time into DreamChess. We're hoping to find some new developers to keep the project development from stalling. If you're interested, please drop us a line
http://www.dreamchess.org/