DC Homebrew

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
ccb_v2
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC Homebrew

Post by ccb_v2 »

Whats some good DC Homebrew games? The only "homebrew" i've touched is Beats of Rage and Quake.

Crap... someone wanna move this to "DC Emulation & Homebrew Games Forum"
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Aside from the commercial releases I'll recomend a couple:

Digimine. It's a minesweeper clone with chars from some anime (digicharat or something).

And if you like Burger Time, Burger DC might just be your thing.

Also you could check some of DCevo's homebrew colections, so you get lots to try for yourself.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Re: DC Homebrew

Post by melancholy »

ccb_v2 wrote:Crap... someone wanna move this to "DC Emulation & Homebrew Games Forum"
Yeah, I'll do it.

Moved
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

As Juan suggested, some of the DC Evolution releases are definitely a good place to start, though the majority of their releases are Beats Of Rage based. Dream Selection Vol. 1 has most of the good earlier Dreamcast homebrews on it, though, and the Tetris 2 Overclocked and DC Squares Cubed images are great ways of getting two of the better later homebrew games.

I'd also recommend dRxLax, which is a phenomenally cool multiplayer shooter. Only downside is that it has no AI, so it's multiplayer only. You can actually have some fun just flying around as a lone ship because of the trippy graphics and excellent controls and techniques, but the real fun is definitely with more players, preferably three or four.

Alice Dreams is another great homebrew, sort of a cross between a platformer and a Lucas Arts style adventure game. It has a beautiful visual style and is probably the most ambitious and polished homebrew on the Dreamcast. It's currently only two levels and development is on haiatus, unfortunately, but the levels are pretty large and there's some good fun to be had with it as it is. It even has a couple mini-games built in.

Joggle is really cool if you're into word games and puzzles, though I wish there were more levels to it.

Among the ports, I'd especially recommend Giana's Return, Noiz2sa Over Dreamcast and Super Mario Wars.

...word is bondage...
SeGaFrEaK NL
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SeGaFrEaK NL »

Sweater Fish wrote: Joggle is really cool if you're into word games and puzzles, though I wish there were more levels to it.
I wish Warmtoe would get back to me about that.. :|
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Juan wrote:Aside from the commercial releases I'll recomend a couple:

Digimine. It's a minesweeper clone with chars from some anime (digicharat or something).

And if you like Burger Time, Burger DC might just be your thing.

Also you could check some of DCevo's homebrew colections, so you get lots to try for yourself.
:D I wrote the soundtrack for that.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Sweater Fish wrote:As Juan suggested, some of the DC Evolution releases are definitely a good place to start, though the majority of their releases are Beats Of Rage based.
>_<

http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=79428
We already would have done a compilation with all the best homebrew games out there but there's a special agreement that I can't and wont get into any further that keeps us away from doing that. Don't worry, you will soon enough know why and you'll then understand.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=36050
DCEvolution.net (and this includes me) was not able to release a compilation of those homebrewn games that are available due to some agreement with MetaFox who is working on publishing the DreamOn magazine which will include the Sandman Demo Disk. The agreement was that we wouldn't release something that would have a similar content than the Sandman. - Due to the DreamOn project taking such a long time, we couldn't and still cannot release a compilation of homebrew games for Dreamcast...

http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewto ... 3&start=80
Well, if everyone would be interested I could actually release a download for the Sandman demo disk. It's been pretty muched finished since Q3/2005 and I took the time since then to improve it (add more games / new versions).
[...]

I really feel bad about having this finished disc with some of the best and most ambitious games the scene has to offer included and not beeing able to release it - or something similar like that for DCEvolution...
Insane homebrew collector.
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

Alice is great and so is Drill, Also there is the Feet of Fury demo and an early version of Inhabitants, just to name a few

you can find all dreamcast homebrew game release here (if there are any missing please tell me and i will upload asap)
ScampDoodle
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by ScampDoodle »

Is there a full version of Alice Dreams? I've got the demo, its great! wondered if there is a full one available (to buy even?)
- SD

Keeping the Dreamcast Alive!
Christuserloeser

No, but they are working on Dynamite Dreams (which started as a bonus game in Alice Dreams demo 3)

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=95115

ScampDoodle
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by ScampDoodle »

Oooo.. Looks good.

As i have just got my DC back from my brother - have had it since it was released, and just discovered 8 years on that there was the 'homebrew' games - Late I know, but nevermind.

I've got the homebrew games working as well as the genesis emulator (Mac user, the burn process is a bit weird). An am quite suprised that it is still going, So far i've got Alice Dreams, Sonic Robot Blast.. both games I think are great - all the time people have put in.

Though I don't know why there is no sound on the emulator, but there is on the Homebrews?

I've got the Golden axe homebrew downloaded. Just need to burn.

Question: What others would you recommend for someone who loved Shenmue, Sonic, Worms Armageddon - any platform based games really, as well as RPG?

Thanks
- SD

Christuserloeser

Try this link for a list of interesting downloads: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=96359

Though I don't know why there is no sound on the emulator, but there is on the Homebrews?
I think you are using GPDC v01, the very first release from 2003. Try this one: http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... esisPlusDC
ScampDoodle
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by ScampDoodle »

Hi Christuserloeser,

Thanks for the links. Do you know if the emulator supports the 32x games as well - there are a few games that I had with the 32x that i'd love to play on my DC.

Thanks.
SD
- SD

az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

ScampDoodle wrote:Hi Christuserloeser,

Thanks for the links. Do you know if the emulator supports the 32x games as well - there are a few games that I had with the 32x that i'd love to play on my DC.

Thanks.
SD
The emulator does not support 32X games, and almost certainly never will--the Dreamcast is not really powerful enough to emulate them properly.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!