xdp?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mankrip »

Well, copyright is about copying. It says under which conditions you are allowed to make copies of a copyrighted work, and what you can do with the copies you make. It doesn't matter if it's a commercial product or not.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Moi
QuakeDev Respected
QuakeDev Respected

Post by Moi »

May I remind you that the Java technology is under the GPL/open source license now? 8-)
Create your own Dreamcast games using the Quake-Engine:
http://quakedev.dcemulation.org/develop/getstarted.htm
curtis_ray
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by curtis_ray »

seems to me the copyright is very clear in dreampassport and planetweb.(although the japanese in dreampassport's copyright is hard to read! seeing as it is japanese..that still dont make it any less valid...and yes its there..load up a copy of dreampassport 2 or any other dreampassport and the main title screen shows the copyright notice.)

i understood later on what i didnt when i helped on all the browsers i helped work on...the copyrights are there and valid.i believed the arguments and help spread and support them.but when i realized more about the issue i came to see that i was wrong.

so im not getting involved in it any further.

as for the posters info on dp java..that is mainly for the display of the interface in dp..not web content.the display engine for the gui is java based.

also to az you cant lay the blame for dcemulation removing xdp on me. ie: Nightstalker...it wasnt my doing..staff removed of there own doing.i had no say whatsoever.

either way last i saw it was all thriving and doing very well outside dcemulation.so whats the deal with the ideas behind it being here? makes no sense.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

curtis_ray wrote:also to az you cant lay the blame for dcemulation removing xdp on me. ie: Nightstalker...it wasnt my doing..staff removed of there own doing.i had no say whatsoever.
You told other members of staff that Excalibur007 intended to sell versions of XDP, complete with a copy of the game "4x4 Evolution".
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
curtis_ray
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by curtis_ray »

which was very much true,in fact i posted a link to the old psd.com where they had maps and modified binaries to run it from a modded xdp.there wasnt any untruth in it.and there were several(if not more) discs sold that had 4x4 evo and other things on it.i dont see what made posting that info wrong.The entire project was never meant to be sold for profit,only at cost of disc and shipping,and definately not with modified games or any non browser related content.im pretty sure there are a few members like APE left who remember the links to the directory on psilocybindreams.com where the 4x4 file for xdp where located.

either way it really doesnt matter any more.the browser and it's abilities are well out of step with the internet today..outside a few sites that still support it.it wont be long it will be a defunct way of being online.without the changes we did make to it..it would have already been outdated.

the community would be better of to have its on homebrew browser.and maybe with enough time and skill.someone will come along that will see the use for it.only time will tell.but as for xdp..it needs to stay where it is.where those who are over it are free to do as they wish.which they did anyway.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

curtis_ray wrote:im pretty sure there are a few members like APE left who remember the links to the directory on psilocybindreams.com where the 4x4 file for xdp where located.
To be honest I'd totally forgotten until just now, and all I remember is something about 4x4 and XDP in the same sentence. I can't find anything through Archive.org but they only go back so far.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
curtis_ray
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by curtis_ray »

well at that point i * think* psd.com was being hosted on chasergame.org,or a similar address.metafox for sure knows about the links and the content described.

but what does it really matter know anyway?people are flocking this thread like its some type of saviour for the dcemulation.org community.like it would bring some type of user base it never did in the past.it makes no sense.i wouldnt really care if dcemulation did host it with 4x4 or whatever else could think to be hacked into it.i just dont care anymore...lol
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

curtis_ray wrote:which was very much true,in fact i posted a link to the old psd.com where they had maps and modified binaries to run it from a modded xdp.there wasnt any untruth in it.and there were several(if not more) discs sold that had 4x4 evo and other things on it.i dont see what made posting that info wrong.The entire project was never meant to be sold for profit,only at cost of disc and shipping,and definately not with modified games or any non browser related content.im pretty sure there are a few members like APE left who remember the links to the directory on psilocybindreams.com where the 4x4 file for xdp where located.
The downloads available on the official PSD website were user-created tracks that could be downloaded onto the VMU - this was a feature included in the original release of the game by its developers. There is absolutely nothing suspicious about hosting user-created tracks for a game designed to support user-created tracks.

No released version of Psilocybin Dreams has ever included the commercial game "4x4 Evolution", or any other commercial game for that matter. There was originally a suggestion of including demos of Metropolis Street Racer and 4x4 Evolution - but Excalibur007 decided against it.

Excalibur007 has never sold any version of Psilocybin Dreams. A while ago, a number of people enquired as to whether they would be able to pay a few dollars to cover the cost of a CD-R and shipping, as they were having difficulty downloading it - but those requests were refused.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Are there any news from staff about supporting this project here at DCEmulation ?

I mean, given the interesting points posted on page 2 by az_bont and fatheadpi, this should be revalued.
Insane homebrew collector.
Nachtholm
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Nachtholm »

I agree. A Dreamcast browser that works would be really nice.

That aside... Someone mentioned that you could get the PlanetWeb browser by just asking... Just who would I ask?
If a person does not know what evil is, how can that person define good?
If one has no concept of good, how can they understand evil?
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

PlanetWeb I suppose.
Nachtholm
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Nachtholm »

I have never met a version of Planet Web that worked as well as it should...
'Course... I've only used the first release.....
If a person does not know what evil is, how can that person define good?
If one has no concept of good, how can they understand evil?