Retro Sonic Engine For Dreamcast

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by MetaFox »

WindowsCE has been open source for years now. DCiberia's method requires the use of the old CELoader program from boob! This loader requires the WindowsCE library to be present in order to run on the Dreamcast. Since it's illegal to distribute the WindowsCE library, this puts us back at square one.
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Darksaviour69 »

ron really thinks that is legal, and posted a load of links here
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31893
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

something dumb for awhile wrote:Since it's illegal to distribute the WindowsCE library, this puts us back at square one.
Is there any license that states it would be illegal to distribute the libraries ? - as I am pretty sure that there's no problem with free distribution as long as no profit is gained from distribution of programs using these libraries.

As far as I know The Gypsy send his Lik-Sang Edition of GypPlay to Lik-Sang.com back in 2001 and SEGA didn't exactly throw him into prison for that. ;)
Insane homebrew collector.
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tekkaman1 »

ok I wanna try this game so if anyone would be so kind to send it to my email. It'll be really apreciated. My email is tekkaman(at)mail2world(dot)com
Last edited by tekkaman1 on Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

You must love getting spam e-mail, tekkaman. I would never post my e-mail address in the clear public internet. There are tons of bots out there that just fish the internet for e-mail address to spam to death.
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tekkaman1 »

whatever. There's a block option you know.I want to play the game that's all. I have other email addresses.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

You could atleast do it like this tekkaman(at)mail2world(dot)com or something similar. Just to make your life easier ;)
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Skynet wrote:You could atleast do it like this tekkaman(at)mail2world(dot)com or something similar. Just to make your life easier ;)
Listen, maybe he is in need of Peanis eLaregment and VlGra and bigger Bo0bs to halp him in bead.

As for the liberaries wouldn't it me MS going after people, and not Sega? I really think they have better things to worry about vs a freeware game using some 8 year old code.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:
Skynet wrote:You could atleast do it like this tekkaman(at)mail2world(dot)com or something similar. Just to make your life easier ;)
Listen, maybe he is in need of Peanis eLaregment and VlGra and bigger Bo0bs to halp him in bead.

As for the liberaries wouldn't it me MS going after people, and not Sega? I really think they have better things to worry about vs a freeware game using some 8 year old code.
I never thought of that. :lol:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Christuserloeser

Re:

Post by Christuserloeser »

Quzar wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:
Quzar wrote:the download links should be removed
I have to say that I agree. Whether or not this "hurts anybody" can be debated, and since it is using libraries ripped from a game (and that the authors have no legal right to distribute), the entire thing is illegal. While this may be an interesting project, I think that until it is rewritten with KOS, the downloads should NOT be linked to.

If I had moderator powers in this forum, I would take the links away.
I removed the links from dcemu.co.uk, which this linked to, so i think that's that for now at least.
^ To me personally this was the absolute worst day of being a Dreamcast fan since its discontinuation.

Anyway, some five years later the author of Retro Sonic went on to become officially endorsed by Sega. He's responsible for the enhanced Sonic CD and Sonic 1 ports on mobile devices:
Insane homebrew collector.
sunchangping
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re: Retro Sonic Engine For Dreamcast

Post by sunchangping »

Even for a "test build" this plays perfectly. When they start using the legal libs, i most likely will start a site/scene devoted to this and its mods.