Best Genesis/Mega Drive emulator for DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Quzar »

Christuserloeser wrote:Still, I assume that many compatibility problems in the builds from 2006 are related to CZ80, so once it's replaced with FAZE these could be history.
The key word is could. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest faze is any better than cz80. I'm holding out hope for the 'other' C z80 core
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
eke-eke
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by eke-eke »

hello,
I have released a new version of the Genesis Plus port for Gamecube. You can access the changelog and source code here (don't know how to attach file in this forum):

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthre ... #post14299

Besides the FM timers fixes, I also added serial eeprom emulation (megaman willy wars, wonderboy 5) and made so fixes to improve game compatibilty.
I thought you perhaps like to add some of these in your port, so have a look to the generic code if you want ;)
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

eke-eke wrote:I have released a new version of the Genesis Plus port for Gamecube. You can access the changelog and source code here (don't know how to attach file in this forum):

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthre ... #post14299
Oh, nice :) Allow me to post the changelog and your source code here too:
eke-eke wrote:So here the latest release, with all the modifications (mainly compatibility improvment) I made so far.
I think we could also release the binary as there is no rom included but i'm not sure, so, here's only the sourcecode:
CHANGES:

- fm timers fixed (fix music in castle of illusion, quackshot, undead line, wonderboy in monster lair, cal 50, turbo outrun, thunderforce 4 and maybe more)

- added serial eeprom emulation (save support now works fine in wonderboy5, megaman, nba jam...) (credits to Notaz, adapted from Picodrive code)

- added dma timing emulation (fix bottom screen in Legend of Galahad, disabled by default because it makes a lot of other games hanging, enable this in option menu ) (credits to Notaz, adapted from Picodrive code)

- hack: clear Vint pending after Hint (INT level 4) acknowledge (fix fatal rewind)

- hack: modify read_bus16 to return a different value at each read (fake fetch) (fix time killers)

- modified cpu execution timings, with more correct hblank and interrupts timing (fix iss deluxe, double dragon 2 and certainly more) (Based on Gens source code)

- modified busreq mechanism: better synchro between z80 & 68k (no need to dejitter anymore) (Based on Gens code)

- added sprite collision detection (fix Strider 2)

- modified byte writing in VDP DMA Fill operation to take the endianness in account (fix Contra Hardcorps graphics)

- added CPU type detection (50hz or 60Hz) according to game region (can be forced in option menu) and also added PAL timings support. Please note that it's still buggy, as there is a strange repeating noise in sound playback when playing a PAL game, I must have miss something.

Download here. (2007-02-06)
Insane homebrew collector.
leyanna
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re: Best Genesis/Mega Drive emulator for DC?

Post by leyanna »

hello everyone!
I've got a problem with genplus for Dreamcast.
I followed this manual

Using SBInducer:

1. Download the SBI from here:
http://consolevision.com/members/sbiffy ... rowse&Emus - [The file is called 'Genplus3_bO.sbi']
Make sure your browser didn't rename the file to a '.zip'-file. If so just rename it back.

2. Get SBInducer v4 from
http://consolevision.com/members/sbiffy/files/ - [The file is called 'Sbindv4.exe']

3. Install SBInducer and put the 'Genplus3_bO.sbi' in your C:/SBInducr/SBI/ folder.

4. Start SBInducer. Select 'SBI2Boot' and click on 'Extract SBI'.

5. Switch back to Explorer and put your Genesis/MegaDrive games into a subdirectory in C:/SBInducer/Inducer/, e.g. C:/SBInducer/Inducer/Games/. The games could be zipped or unzipped.

6. In SBInducer, you click on the DiscJuggler or Nero icons to create the image. I personally prefer DiscJuggler.

7. Burn the DiscJuggler image with BootDreams' CDI-burner or Alcohol120% in TAO mode.

I burned the .cdi with Alcohol 8x RAW/DAO and DAO/SAO mode,
also with Nero Disc at once, 8x.
I also tried creating a TAO image and burn it with Nero Track at once.

All times the cd mounted and also loaded some of the games, but not all.
One game wouldn't boot and two keep crashing down.
I tried them on pc emulator and they worked fine - so I don't know what I do wrong.
Could someone please help me???
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

leyanna wrote:All times the cd mounted and also loaded some of the games, but not all.
One game wouldn't boot and two keep crashing down.
I tried them on pc emulator and they worked fine - so I don't know what I do wrong.
Could someone please help me???
Not every single game will work. Try changing the configuration parameters.
leyanna
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by leyanna »

Juan wrote:Not every single game will work. Try changing the configuration parameters.
how?? and which parameters?
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

leyanna
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by leyanna »

I don't really understand the text, but I have problems with the following games -
Shining Force 1 + 2
Tojeam & Earl Panic on Funkotron
Landstalkers
Pirates Gold

What can I do with them? Is there any Emulator with wich I can play them on my DC?
I don't know how to change parameters.
I'd like to create on cd with emulator and games on it.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Just browsing old posts for some help, for those who want to know the answer to last post...
I had the same problem with Landstalkers, and I made it playable by adjusting the settings. Also make sure your ROM isn't a bad dump...

From "www.dreamcast-scene.com"

CPU Settings, here are some details about the different settings:

Pressing (B) at the menu changes the CPU emulator.
You can select either use
FAME - Fox68k's great SH4 M68K emulator for fastest emulation, or
C68K - Stef D's fast and accurate M68K emulator for better compatibility.

Press (A) to toggle the graphics renderer.
You can select either:
HW - Hardware renderer written by BlackAura, using the Dreamcast's PowerVR II DC, very fast but inaccurate in a few games, or
SW - Standard software renderer of GenesisPlusDC by Charles MacDonald, 100% accurate but much slower.

Recommend Settings:
Recommend settings would be 'Render: HW' with 'CPU: FAME' - if this doesn't work for your game, try 'Render: HW' with 'CPU: C68K' (which is the default setting).
ImageImageImageImage
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

BlackAura's build of GPWT is probably about the fastest, but Quzar's plays music better in some games. At any rate.....I agree on the playing with the settings in the menu. It's as good as it gets with Genesis for DC at the moment.