Best Genesis/Mega Drive emulator for DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
XxFilthEOnexX
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by XxFilthEOnexX »

Well according to the compatibility page PS 3 works but not 4, however on my burns neither work just PS2.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

BlackAura:yeah I think you used enough DAC in your post :P

I am probably going to make another disc with shorter rom names and short names on the list. some game that I really wanted to try had a messed up name like "isky woods.smd Risky woods" lol. I fogot how much of a bitch streets of rage 3 is! I got to the samurai boss at the end of stage 4 (?) and he whooped my @$$ with that stupid jump slash move he does >_<. but its cool if you hold B down after defeating shiva you can play as him on your next continue! Shiva owns........ sorry a little off topic. Keep up the great work,team!
Have you played dreamcast today?
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

XxFilthEOnexX wrote:Well according to the compatibility page PS 3 works but not 4, however on my burns neither work just PS2.

My PS4 works just fine, just set your region to US (unless you have the jap version)
XxFilthEOnexX
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by XxFilthEOnexX »

I just tried burning with BA's latest update and all it did was reset itself. Where is the bin supposed to be replaced at the Emus folder or the first read bin in the inducer folder?

Update:
Figured it out, however so far the Star series doesn't seems to work all that well. In PS2 after Rolf leaves the house and goes to the town center the game stops. Then again this is still a beta test and hopefully that problem will be fixed. Other than this little problem all seems pretty good with GPDC.
alb3530
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by alb3530 »

I'm just guessing: You have to replace the bin of this file http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ian_edward ... 090406.sbi with the bin inside this zip http://files.frashii.com/~sp00nz/Doom/f ... 060726.zip

Or maybe wait for christuserloeser shows up anytime with the compilation ready-to-burn
Http_user_agent:
NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0623.0.41) Series60/3.0
Profile/MIDP-2.0
Configuration/CLDC-1.1
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

It is pretty simple actually...

You download any of the .sbi releases, then run sbi and let it place the files in the inducer folder. Then take the BIN from Blackaura and place it over the BIN in the emu folder of the Inducer folder. You'll have to rename Blackauras BIN to GPWT.BIN. It really isn't that hard.
cristfc
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by cristfc »

Dreamcast4life wrote:BlackAura:yeah I think you used enough DAC in your post :P

I am probably going to make another disc with shorter rom names and short names on the list. some game that I really wanted to try had a messed up name like "isky woods.smd Risky woods" lol. I fogot how much of a bitch streets of rage 3 is! I got to the samurai boss at the end of stage 4 (?) and he whooped my @$$ with that stupid jump slash move he does >_<. but its cool if you hold B down after defeating shiva you can play as him on your next continue! Shiva owns........ sorry a little off topic. Keep up the great work,team!
the roms with filenames messed that you said, work perfect in genesis plus? because i have filenames larges too, but up to 32 chars... some emulators dont run games with filenames too large, is genesis plus one of them?
Again, Legendary Levels return!!
XxFilthEOnexX
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by XxFilthEOnexX »

I didn't use sbinducer to create the file, I used bootdreams and after I replaced the bin it had to scramble the bin to create the cdi image. The end result was still the same though, it stopped playing after Rolf went into the town center, otherwise its simply remarkable.
alb3530
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by alb3530 »

cristfc wrote:the roms with filenames messed that you said, work perfect in genesis plus? because i have filenames larges too, but up to 32 chars... some emulators dont run games with filenames too large, is genesis plus one of them?
Still speaking about ROM files, does the emulator support zipped .bin and .smd ROMS?
XxFilthEOnexX wrote:it stopped playing after Rolf went into the town center, otherwise its simply remarkable.
What did you mean exactly?
Http_user_agent:
NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0623.0.41) Series60/3.0
Profile/MIDP-2.0
Configuration/CLDC-1.1
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

GUYS! Use underscores instead of spaces! :P You're gonna have to rename your roms so that there's no spaces and then you won't get garbled rom names when selecting a game. And yes. Zipped roms DO work. Has anyone gotten Gunstar Heroes or Yu Yu Hakusho working?

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Gunstar Heroes works perfectly! :D
Dreamcast4life wrote:I fogot how much of a bitch streets of rage 3 is! I got to the samurai boss at the end of stage 4 (?) and he whooped my @$$ with that stupid jump slash move he does >_<. but its cool if you hold B down after defeating shiva you can play as him on your next continue! Shiva owns........
Try Bare Knuckle III. It's the original version of Streets Rage 3. BK3 is about twice as good as SoR 3 :)

Edit: I typed "BK4" instead of "BK3".. .Doh!
Last edited by Christuserloeser on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insane homebrew collector.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

cristfc wrote:

the roms with filenames messed that you said, work perfect in genesis plus? because i have filenames larges too, but up to 32 chars... some
emulators dont run games with filenames too large, is genesis plus one of them?
if the entire file name is too long it wont load the roms for instace say you wanted to play "dinosaurs for hire* you would type the name of the rom (dino4hire.smd or .zip) you would then type the name of the file you want it named like "Dinohire" or something, if you were to let it be Dinosaurs for hire, it would appear like this in GP "saurs4hire.smd Dinosuar" something like that so it would be wise to shorten both the rom name what it will appear as in GP. hope that makes sense.
christuserloeser wrote:Try Bare Knuckle III. It's the original version of Streets Rage 3. BK4 is about twice as good as SoR 3
thanks, I will check that out. wait, isn't that fag "ash" in that game, I remember seeing that in the SOR fan site or something.
cristfc
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by cristfc »

Dreamcast4life wrote:
cristfc wrote:

the roms with filenames messed that you said, work perfect in genesis plus? because i have filenames larges too, but up to 32 chars... some
if the entire file name is too long it wont load the roms for instace say you wanted to play "dinosaurs for hire* you would type the name of the rom (dino4hire.smd or .zip) you would then type the name of the file you want it named like "Dinohire" or something, if you were to let it be Dinosaurs for hire, it would appear like this in GP "saurs4hire.smd Dinosuar" something like that so it would be wise to shorten both the rom name what it will appear as in GP. hope that makes sense.
christuserloeser wrote:Try Bare Knuckle III. It's the original version of Streets Rage 3. BK4 is about twice as good as SoR 3
thanks, I will check that out. wait, isn't that fag "ash" in that game, I remember seeing that in the SOR fan site or something.
Ok, thanks for info, you referer to GP...but in DC, the efect is the same?
All roms have underscores in rom names ( i have rename manually and remove all spaces... ), i make this before to burn disc with emu and roms.. disc is burned now, then i hope sucess running genesis plus :)
Again, Legendary Levels return!!
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Gunstar Heroes makes the emulator freeze RIGHT before the level starts under C68K mode. It works with FAME, but the music is too fast! Any ideas?

<^_^>
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

cristfc wrote:
Dreamcast4life wrote:
cristfc wrote:

Ok, thanks for info, you referer to GP...but in DC, the efect is the same?
All roms have underscores in rom names ( i have rename manually and remove all spaces... ), i make this before to burn disc with emu and roms.. disc is burned now, then i hope sucess running genesis plus :)
well at least you don't have a problem with converting programs, if it wasn't for fackues help I would still be sitting here annoying everyone about how I couldn't play it. I have to use Alcohol to burn because cd recordthats on Bootdreams freezes after the part it says "wanting for user burner to (blah can't remember) and then it hangs. so once I make the Disc jugglar image and not knowing how to do the romlist thing, I made 5 coasters. I mean the emu booted but the roms didn't. I hope you got it working. also bootdreams 1.0 was being used but that uses bin2boot to convert images. whats strange is I never had a problem with bin2boot.oh well I got genesis goodness now, so I am not complaining.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

jessman wrote:Gunstar Heroes makes the emulator freeze RIGHT before the level starts under C68K mode. It works with FAME, but the music is too fast! Any ideas?
Use FAME.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

But the music is too fast. How is that "perfect" like everyone says it is?

<^_^>
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

have you tried all four combinations? c68k/fame hardware/software renderer?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Insane homebrew collector.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

You should really specify to only post results of a single release of this there, because if not the chart will be muddled with lots of false reports from all over.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man