Best Genesis/Mega Drive emulator for DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Juan »

jessman wrote:EDIT: Wait! How would you go about using the ROMLST tool again? I don't get it.
You run the romlst.exe, choose the dir with your roms, make the roms.lst, rename it to roms.txt, and replace the ":" for " " (space).
Christuserloeser
Been thanked: 0

Post by Christuserloeser »

Plain files version. Just burn with BootDreams:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30042

PS: Juan, I've added the info on using krypt's ROM List Creator for gpwt to the DCS Wiki :)
Insane homebrew collector.
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Has thanked: 0

Post by johnson »

WOW!!! Strider is back plays perfect!!!!! SAound and all...

What did you do? :D

In fact more games work properly now. This is sweet. Thanks for keeping it up.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

This emulator is magnificent and a worthy followup to pvr3.
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Is the source around somewhere?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Quzar wrote:Is the source around somewhere?
That was my question too. Genesis Plus is GPL after all, IIRC.
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

I have been playing this emu for hours now...it is quite astonishing!!! The compaitibility is very good, the sound rocks, and the games are near spot on. Great job to BA and Warmtoe. Thanks. :D
alb3530
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by alb3530 »

Christuserloeser wrote:Streets of Rage II suffers from the 'sprite flickering bug' (as in PVR3).
What when you hit a enemy?Is the score indicator alright, or it's still jumping to 9999999 like in PVR3?
Http_user_agent:
NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0623.0.41) Series60/3.0
Profile/MIDP-2.0
Configuration/CLDC-1.1
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

there isnt anything wrong with SoR2. Use C68K core and it runs perfect. PERFECT! This emulator is the best emu of the year even over Nester SE to me. There is a few disappointments(Raiden, Fire SHark etc) but overall evrything else BIG runs great. Streets of Rage, Sonic, Vectorman, Shinobi series and Gunstar Heroes...you name it more than likely it runs nicely. This last fix they did was incredible. The 6 button support is nice, the region support is extra sweet, and the graphic glitches have been repaired.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

If only Megaman and Yu Yu Hakusho worked... :cry: lol. Well, maybe you guys should look into making a GUI similiar to NesterDC SE. I could help with various things if anyone was interested.

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
JohnnyB
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by JohnnyB »

Oh wow this looks very promising, if any system deserves to be emulated properly on the Dreamcast it's the Genesis. If you guys need any help in terms of non-technical UI design I'd love to help, I have professional experience in the field. :wink:
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

Yep - on my hard drive.
BlueCrab wrote:
YRC - it's GPL.

Look - it's a work-in-progress, call it a beta if you want. Patience is a virtue. Why is everyone so grabby, grabby?

When BA and I get synchronized on the source, we'll make it available.

Neither of us is Reaper.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Christuserloeser wrote:It's the sound emulation that's slowing things down, right ?
Yep. Turn that off, and it's 100% full speed. Even the software rendering is fast enough in that case. Most games just aren't as enjoyable in total silence.
I remember you have been working on the sound code back in 2004, do you think it would be worth trying again to get it working?
Actually, this version's sound code is very similar to PVR5's. The main differences are that it's slightly simpler, uses frameskipping to keep the audio and video in sync, and that it works properly.

There's a whole heap of optimisations that could be done on the sound code without radically altering it.
I wonder if FAZE (once it's finished) could provide at least a little speed boost...
Maybe, but it won't be very much.

If you remember back when the original GP/DC was released, it had an option to adjust the Z80 clock. Changing the clock to the lowest possible speed sped things up significantly. That option is no longer there, because it makes no noticeable difference anymore.
Also, what's with that compiler flag (-no-gcse) that Quzar found? Would it increase C68K & CZ80 performance noticably ?
I dunno. It potentially speeds up code that uses computed gotos, which C68K uses extensively. The only way is to try it out.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

many graphical issues are fixed, yet there are some new ones. Sparkster has completly garbled gfx with both cores. This problem did not occur in pvr3. Another semi-issue is that sometimes when you exit back to the menu, the noise from the last secs of the game you are exiting is shreaking out.
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Warmtoe wrote:
Yep - on my hard drive.
BlueCrab wrote:
YRC - it's GPL.

Look - it's a work-in-progress, call it a beta if you want. Patience is a virtue. Why is everyone so grabby, grabby?

When BA and I get synchronized on the source, we'll make it available.

Neither of us is Reaper.
Nobody was accusing that, we were just protecting the rights of the authors who put their code under the GPL. I personally GPL all of my code, and I know what the GPL states about redistrobution, and source code and all. I don't mean to offend you in any way, but I get very upset when I see GPL violations. That's why I tried to get reaper to release everything he was legally responsible to do, or at least have an outstanding offer to furnish source code (as the GPL allows).
I didn't mean any harm at all, and I'm sure Quzar didn't either.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

As long as the sourcecode is furnished if a request is made, the program's not in violation of the GPL, and no harm is done.

I'm sure Warmtoe would have no problem furnishing the source if someone REALLY wanted it, but it's probably best if we all wait until BA and Warmtoe synchronize their sources first.
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

I didn't mean any harm at all, and I'm sure Quzar didn't either.
No problem - I just thought I'd go off on one ;-)

The source will come.
Last edited by Warmtoe on Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I was simply wondering if I had missed a link to an already released source code download. I wasn't questioning when the source is coming out or anything.

also BA: When I used the computed gotos speedup I got about 5-10% of a performance boost out of the core (not the whole program of course) with C68k, I can't remember if I ever benchmarked cz80 with it, I'm fairly sure I just used it. It basically, usually shaved almost a ms off the runtime of each frame's 68k emulation.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

Source it up... source boys...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ian_edward ... 06.src.zip

That's everything up to today - with the enhancement that the LTrigger is not picked up when you return from emulation....

I've also sent this directly to BA - he was going to maybe add an enhancement or two more.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

As long as the sourcecode is furnished if a request is made, the program's not in violation of the GPL, and no harm is done.
The GPL provides for two basic options:

1) Supply corresponding source code (this means the source that was actually used to build your binaries, including any modifications you've made) on the same site or medium as the binaries, or actively make an arrangement with another site administrator to host the source (this means that you actually have an agreement, not that you link to gnu.org and assume they'll always keep sources up for your version) and link to it from the site hosting the binaries.

2) Supply a written offer to supply source code for the cost of distribution valid to any third party along with the binaries, or pass along such an offer that you received

There is no "supply binaries only until someone bugs you about releasing the source" option. You must actively commit to supplying the source code.

However, it's also worth noting that unless someone distributing a GPL-licensed program chooses option 2, they're under no obligation to give the software to anyone on demand. The GPL does not require that sources be generally available to the public, only that they be available to anyone who receives the corresponding binaries.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer