Best Genesis/Mega Drive emulator for DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DcSteve »

Very Awsome. I wonder why Fame isnt working well for BA in his devving.
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Just played Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Shinobi III, Shadow Dancer & Rocket Knight Adventures and they all seem to work perfectly :)

Quackshot doesn't have music, but sound and seems to work great otherwise. Streets of Rage II suffers from the 'sprite flickering bug' (as in PVR3).

I feel like doing a compatibility list ^ ^

Btw: 4 players is not supported, but 2 players is.
Insane homebrew collector.
Christuserloeser

DcSteve wrote:I wonder why Fame isnt working well for BA in his devving.
I think BA got FAME working, but IIRC half of the games were broken... In GPWT-3c you can choose between FAME and C68K and you'll notice that there definitly are some games that seem not to work with FAME :|

So, for best performance choose FAME, for better compatibility choose C68K.
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

umm I have burned 5 cds of this now and it hasn't worked.

It boots to the sbiffy screen, I press A to choose emu, then I press A again on the gen emu and it resets back to the Dreamcast logo screen.

I have no clue as to what i am doing wrong. I have yet to get anything to work properly with SBI, I'd rather just have the files and use Susa's Self Boot cause SBI has wasted too many of my cd-r's.

Sorry, I am venting as I can't figure out why this isn't working.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

johnson wrote:umm I have burned 5 cds of this now and it hasn't worked.

It boots to the sbiffy screen, I press A to choose emu, then I press A again on the gen emu and it resets back to the Dreamcast logo screen.

I have no clue as to what i am doing wrong. I have yet to get anything to work properly with SBI, I'd rather just have the files and use Susa's Self Boot cause SBI has wasted too many of my cd-r's.

Sorry, I am venting as I can't figure out why this isn't working.
Hmm. That sounds almost as though the bin file is scrambled.

Chris - I'm curious - how did you burn this? Did you unzip the SBI and burn it with BootDreams (which automatically detects whether or not the bin is scrambled), or did you use SBInducer?
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Christuserloeser

Yes, I've burned it with BootDreams (still had to test v1.0 :) ). Though I manually scrambled the .bin with Fackue's BinChecker first...

Johnson, please read the following info and see if it helps:

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... esisPlusDC
http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... ow-to-burn
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

fina and dandy, but SBI doesnt even recognize the sbi file...I have to manually extract, and when i do it still doesnt work. I have no idea what you did different, but obviously SBI hates my ass cause it has never worked right.
Christuserloeser

curt_grymala wrote:Hmm. That sounds almost as though the bin file is scrambled.
No, it isn't scrambled but it's using a "-" within the file name... Wasn't there a problem with that in DreamInducer ? :o
johnson wrote:fina and dandy, but SBI doesnt even recognize the sbi file...
Sounds like your browser is renaming it to '.zip'. Rename it back to '.sbi'.

With above mentioned possible problem you'll be on the safer side if you really follow my tutorial and use the 'SBI2Boot' feature in SBInducer v4.
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

I have tried four different methods of burning this thing. None have worked. I rename the file to SBI and Inducer still does not recognize the file at all. I have even tried extracting the BIN file with IP and renaming the bin to 1st_READ.Bin and using it in Susas...nogo...this thing does not work. What exactly did you do Chris?
Christuserloeser

Here's a quick list of things I did:
Extracted the SBI into a folder called gpwt3, moved the .bin from /emus/ into that folder, scrambled it with BinChecker, added a few games, edited ROMS.TXT, pointed BootDreams to the folder and burned it.

Anyway, if you follow that tutorial I've just put up it will work too ;)
Last edited by Christuserloeser on Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

the method you gave in the tutorial DOES not work. It was the first and most easiest option to use. I wasted my first 2 cd-r's trying it that way. The thing is Inducer NEVER recognized the SBI...not even after renaming etc....I manually extracted. This SBI has never worked properly with my PC. NEVER. Not one damn thing has ever worked right with it. Sorry for my anger but I have 4 cd-r's left and am afraid to try anything else with this thing.
Christuserloeser

The method described in my tutorial definitly works.

Anyway, if SBInducer never worked for you, you should try the method I've described above using BootDreams. Make sure you keep the /gpwt-3c/ folder (incl. subdirs) intact.

What exactly was the problem with SBInducer for you ? Did it show the menu but without anything to select ?
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

now I am livid...I tried the boot dreams method and this time it didnt even make it to the logo screen...it went to the screen with thew options...

This damn thing is really pissing me off now.

No, nothing shows up in the menu. I cant get anything to work with this thing.
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

I dont want to seem ungrateful or ridiculous but these cd-r's are like gold for me right now and I've wasted 6 now. I dont get this thing. I have burned probably more emus and BoR' s than anyone here prolly...just this thing does not work. No matter what I do nothing works.
Christuserloeser

Hm, you're giving me a hard time. I understand that you got that problem with getting this emu to work and you're running out of CDRs but all info I recieve is "it doesn't work. I tried everything"... How exactly should I (or someone else) help you ? What's the structure of your folder that you're trying to burn ? Have you used BootDreams successfully before ? What version of BootDreams are you using ? Have you edited ROMS.TXT properly ?
johnson wrote:No, nothing shows up in the menu.
I had that too once. It's odd... I'll have a look into uploading a different version of SBInducer v4 for you. For now I'd recommend SBInducer v3 for your SBIs.... But -not- for GPWT-3c, as SBInducer v3 is missing the 'SBI2Boot' feature which one'd need here as a walkaround for the possible '-' problem... (not sure if it actually is a problem, I think Curt knows more about that)
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

LMAO!!!! I got Inducer to recognize the SBI finally, loaded it up, did the txt like I should etc....guess what? Went straight back to the Dreamcast logo screen. This thing does not work. I cannot believe you got this to work.
Christuserloeser

Did you use the 'SBI2Boot' feature ?

Anyway I'm uploading a new SBI and plain files for GPWT-3c :wink:
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

and here is what I did:

put the sbi file in the SBI folder in inducer...right clicked and chose RENAME..renamed it

then I ran Inducer and it unloaded the files to where they go...then I put my roms in the roms folder...I edited the txt file then chose DJ Image....burned....

put the disc in my DC, chose emu, then gen plus, then the DC rebooted back to the Dreamcast logo....
Christuserloeser

Plain files download:
http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelopmen ... _files.zip

Fixed SBI (removed all '-')
http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelopmen ... armtoe.sbi

Tested version of SBInducer v4:
http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelopmen ... ducer4.exe

johnson wrote:chose emu, then gen plus, then the DC rebooted back to the Dreamcast logo....
Okay, that's definitly because of the '-' within the file names. If you would have followed my tutorial and thus used the 'SBI2Boot' option you'd have saved a CDR there... :P
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

mkay, got it to work...thanks dude for all your efforts. This emu is quite good. I have played Ranger X so far and it runs quite smoothly with very good sound. Nice work to the authors.