Best Genesis/Mega Drive emulator for DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by johnson »

Change Ghouls and Ghosts to the FAME core and everything is fixed...it still runs a tad fast, but the graphics run right.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I studied this against each other side by side and was wondering if maybe the fix you stated might not be a fix but maybe a possible break
The mono fix does nothing but change the panning of the sound channels. In stereo mode, it has absolutely no effect. The timing fix is, at least on my system, 100% correct, and it required no code changes to the emulator itself anyway. It's just an updated version of the sound driver from the current version of KOS.

On my system, the sound output is pretty much perfect, and indistinguishable from Warmtoe's builds. I have no idea what's going on with other people's machines. Maybe because they're NTSC, and both mine and Warmtoe's machines are PAL?
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

it is completely odd. The sound breaks and there are missing instrumentals in the music here and there and it is very low volume-wise. I used Mega Turrican and Strider for my testing and Warmtoes version had far better sampling. Like I said, this isn't me ragging on you, this is a legitimate thing. The sound in stereo is awful on this update. If I turn the DC to mono the sound is complete but of course very bland. There isnt any alterations in the sound...in stereo it just breaks apart...the music keeps beat, but instrumentals and sound effecvts come up missing and the volume is low...

I don't know what else to say. It is an odd thing, but it doesn't affect play, this emu still is the best thing this year for me...so I am not unsatisfied. :D
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

johnson wrote:it is completely odd. The sound breaks and there are missing instrumentals in the music here and there and it is very low volume-wise. I used Mega Turrican and Strider for my testing and Warmtoes version had far better sampling. Like I said, this isn't me ragging on you, this is a legitimate thing. The sound in stereo is awful on this update. If I turn the DC to mono the sound is complete but of course very bland. There isnt any alterations in the sound...in stereo it just breaks apart...the music keeps beat, but instrumentals and sound effecvts come up missing and the volume is low...

I don't know what else to say. It is an odd thing, but it doesn't affect play, this emu still is the best thing this year for me...so I am not unsatisfied. :D
This may be silly, but do you have the Dreamcast plugged into a stereo source? If you're playing sound in stereo, and you only have a mono TV and thus leave one of the plugs disconnected, then yeah, it's not gonna come out right.

Not to be insulting or whatever; just wanted to make sure you hadn't overlooked this. It's the old "is it plugged in?" check, which solves more problems than you'd think.
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

Na, this isn't the case. I even swapped out discs on both my DC's to each source. Both had the same effect. The previous Warmtoe version had complete sound in stereo whereas the current release had breaks and missing instrumentals. It didn't matter which source I played it thru...and no I don't have a mono tv, both are stereo and both are correctly hooked up. The sound on this release is just wierd. It is very quiet in places and it misses sounds...I wish you could be here and listen to it.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

This bulid is awesome. I beat lots of games tonight with it. Golden axe and golden axe 2,Sor,Shinobi 3 and Risky woods. I am happy the way it works.
Have you played dreamcast today?
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

Do not MISTAKE me reporting a bug for not LOVING this emu! I love everything so far! I, myself, have passed STrider, Golden Axe, and most of Subterrania. Blackaura, I trully hope you do not take offense to this, I am just trying to help you make this the best emu possible...it already is my favorite Dreamcast emu as the Genesis is my second favorite system behing the Saturn. Even Nester SE(which is damn good) isn't as fun for me. So please people, do not mistake my reporting of bugs as dissatisfaction. :D
alb3530
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by alb3530 »

Juan wrote:ISS Deluxe hangs after pressing start in the title.
This is what i was afraid of.Have you tried changing to the FAME core?
Http_user_agent:
NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0623.0.41) Series60/3.0
Profile/MIDP-2.0
Configuration/CLDC-1.1
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

johnson wrote:Change Ghouls and Ghosts to the FAME core and everything is fixed...it still runs a tad fast, but the graphics run right.
But, remember? FAME is broken in this release, so that doesn't really help. I tried software mode, and even THAT was blue! What the hell is this bizarre glitch? lol.

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

No it isn't.

FAME works fine for me. It runs like in the older versions. I just played Ghouls and Ghosts. It works under FAME.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

hey johnson, that ticking noise only occurs when the volume is turned up all the way. Turn it up to about 1/3rd of the max and the ticking sound is eliminated. The only other sound glitches i notices would be like in sonic 3, if u keep pressing A to do the spin dash, as you keep pressing it, the higher the pitch gets, the weirder the noise sounds. Other than that, this emu is perfect.
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

Yes I noticed that it doesn't sound as bad with low volume, but it doesn't always happen either. I would like to see the shmups fixed tho...a lot of vertical shmups don't work or have very garbled graphics. The software renderer fixes them and all, but at a huge hit to speed and smoothness. Overall, like I said, this is my favorite emu on DC and I have just about every one of them from (D)Colem to SMS v.2 to Nester SE to NEOAES (loaded too hehe)to all 3 of the Bleem discs. I love all the emulators as they have enabled me to sell much of my gaming rig. I can now survive off of just my Saturn, Dreamcast, and PC...although I prolly will get a PS3.

Anyways, like I said, I am not complaining, just trying to help out the authors.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I managed to reproduce the ticking. It happens when you run a game that uses the DAC (like a Sonic game, for example), stop the emulation while something's being played through the DAC, and then run a game that doesn't use the DAC (most games). Basically, it's not clearing the DAC buffer when the DAC is disabled.

Hmm... I don't think I used the term "DAC" enough in that paragraph. DAC DAC DAC. DAC DAC DAC-DAC. DAC DAC DAC, DAC DAC DAC DAC, DAC - DAC DAC DAC. DAC DAC DAC ice cream DAC.

Still can't reproduce the stereo thing though.
johnson
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by johnson »

That's cool BA, don't waste your time with it as the sound is still good. If everyone else is happy(and I am too) then don't let it bulk up any of your time. Whatever you can do is now bonus enjoyment for me. :D Many of the games I love work great and that makes me happy. If you can do better or more than it is just extra whip cream on the Dairy Queen Blizzard...ya know?
cristfc
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by cristfc »

DcSteve wrote:Dreamcast4life- WT= Warmtoe's release. Just download the plain files release of warmtoe's on the previous pages and replace the 1st_read.bin with BA's gp.bin (make sure to rename to 1st_read.bin).

About roms.txt, i personally did have to rename them one by one otherwise they wont appear in the menu. Im not sure if this latest release still does that.

FYI- there are programs mentioned in previous pages on this thread that can help you deal with that problem.
i will burn two 1st read in one CD, but without selfboot, for comparisons only... ;)
Again, Legendary Levels return!!
alb3530
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by alb3530 »

jessman wrote:
johnson wrote:Change Ghouls and Ghosts to the FAME core and everything is fixed...it still runs a tad fast, but the graphics run right.
But, remember? FAME is broken in this release, so that doesn't really help. I tried software mode, and even THAT was blue! What the hell is this bizarre glitch? lol.
jessman and johnson, are you both speaking about the latest release, that one posted by BlackAura?If yes, i wonder if the FAME issue has something to do either with PAL, or NTSC systems.What is the region of your Dreamcasts, jessman and johnson?
DcSteve wrote:hey johnson, that ticking noise only occurs when the volume is turned up all the way. Turn it up to about 1/3rd of the max and the ticking sound is eliminated.
Does the emulator feature volume adjustment?
Http_user_agent:
Profile/MIDP-2.0
Configuration/CLDC-1.1
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

alb- it does not feature volume adjustment, we have tv's for that. Id rather push a button on my tv remote instead of going to some kind of options and manually set volumes.
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
alb3530
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by alb3530 »

So would i, DCsteve.I just thought it weird that volume level can affect the sound quality in the emulator, assuming the players won't put their tvs in max volume level to play.
Http_user_agent:
Profile/MIDP-2.0
Configuration/CLDC-1.1
XxFilthEOnexX
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by XxFilthEOnexX »

Here's a strange one...I recently burned 2 different copies of the latest build and had some games work on one but not the other. The game Air Diver, for one, worked on the first burn but wouldn't do anything on the second. The game Dragon's Fury worked on both and did the same thing when switching the CPU, glitches on one CPU but not the other. I'm still waiting, however, for my favorite series of all Sega games to be playable and those are the Phantasy Star games. PS 2 works on both burns too but neither 3 nor 4 do as of yet. Hopefully this will be solved soon enough though because if the Star series can be played I'll be hooked.
cristfc
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by cristfc »

PS 3 and 4 dont work in both releases?? because i burn it with all ps roms... :)
Again, Legendary Levels return!!