Best Genesis/Mega Drive emulator for DC?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lyris »

I haven't tried this new build yet but it sounds great. Since I use an HDTV I'm connected using the VGA box - does it work using that?

Also, how would I go about getting my theme into it (if you guys are interested, that is)!

BTW, Dreamcast4life:
must be nice to enjoy genesis on the DC right now but SINCE MY COMPUTER IS GAY, I CANT
:roll: Find it a nice boyfriend and cheer it up for me will ya?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Should work with a VGA box. KOS supports them automatically, and we haven't done anything to break it.

I have it working again, and I'm currently fixing a few things up.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

FYI to all- this latest version using C68k plus CZ80 appears to run fullspeed with full sound. Fame is broken but im sure that takes seconds to remove that option from code so that the button it takes up to switch engines can be used for something else.
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
cristfc
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by cristfc »

DcSteve wrote:on my wishlist:

1) Working SRAMtoVmu Saving

2) Adding the genesis plus dc best menu theme out there right now (Lyris in the art forums)

3) Clearing sound buffer after each game is exited. (Sound continues from game upon exit).
4) File Browser/Disc Swap ;)
Again, Legendary Levels return!!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

OK, here's another build to play with...

gpdc-20060726.zip

Drop that .bin over the top of Warmtoe's last release, and it should be good to go.

Only five changes worth mentioning, most of which aren't that important...

1 - Palettes are now double-buffered. That gets rid of all of the palette tearing effects, or weird blocks of colour on screen when a game was supposed to change the palette mid frame.

2 - Sound channels are now properly synchronised. They were very slightly out of sync before - the right channel was a few samples behind the left. Should result in a slight increase in sound quality. This was needed because the mono output sounded terrible without it (see below)

3 - For those of us who still have to put up with a mono TV, there is now a mono sound output mode. Don't get too excited - it doesn't speed things up, because it's still stereo. It just gets the sound hardware to do a mono mix, rather than a stereo one. It's enabled from the Dreamcast's BIOS (set the sound mode to mono). If you have a mono TV and some sounds were missing (like every other ring "ding" noise in Sonic), check this setting and try with this version.

4 - The sound looping bit from the menu has gone (I never noticed it because it was only the right channel, and I have a mono TV), as has the momentary blip of audio when you start the second (or later) game.

5 - SRAM support has been hooked up. Only works with C68k, and has only been tested with Sonic 3. Seems to work pretty well though - the SRAM save for Sonic 3 takes up a single block, and it still has about 200 bytes free in that block out of 512 total. Loads from and saves to the first VMU only. Error handling is crap, so it might occasionally destroy a save file. The saves from all your other games should be safe though.

No icons though. If anyone wants to draw some (32x32 pixels, 16 colours), feel free. A different one for each game that supports SRAM would be pretty cool. Eyecatch images (the little pictures that appear on the BIOS VMU manager when you have a file selected) might be cool too - they're 72x56 pixels, and can either be 16 color (adds 4 blocks), 256 color (9 blocks), or true colour (16 blocks). Considering their size, I'd probably make them optional.
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

Man, I got a feeling that this is gonna be incredibly awesome when it gets a final release. Can't wait.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

Wow, a new authentic release from BA with possibly working saving. Cant wait to try this when i get home from work.
alb3530
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by alb3530 »

DcSteve wrote:Wow, a new authentic release from BA with possibly working saving. Cant wait to try this when i get home from work.
you're lucky.I can only test it weekend, cause i don't have pc.I have to wait for my brother to bring it to me after he has burned it in his work
Http_user_agent:
NokiaN80-1/3.0 (4.0623.0.41) Series60/3.0
Profile/MIDP-2.0
Configuration/CLDC-1.1
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

BlackAura wrote:Only five changes worth mentioning, most of which aren't that important...
lol? Seriously, great job!
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

Fackue, I am in your debt, I made an image and I am going to try to burn it now. Wish me luck and thank you again. I never ever had a problem with bin2boot though wonder why all of a sudden I have......
no matter if this works I will be extremely happy.
Have you played dreamcast today?
alb3530
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by alb3530 »

BlackAura wrote:OK, here's another build to play with...

gpdc-20060726.zip

Drop that .bin over the top of Warmtoe's last release, and it should be good to go.
What do you mean by dropping the .bin over the top of that WT release?Is it only to burn this new build without worrying about the other, or something more has to be done?
Http_user_agent:
Profile/MIDP-2.0
Configuration/CLDC-1.1
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

one mor question and I will stfu, do you have to sit there and name all your roms under ROMS.txt or its it 100% optional? thanks.
Quote:
must be nice to enjoy genesis on the DC right now but SINCE MY COMPUTER IS GAY, I CANT
Find it a nice boyfriend and cheer it up for me will ya?
I did, its called cdi4dc. now my computer is happy now.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

Dreamcast4life- WT= Warmtoe's release. Just download the plain files release of warmtoe's on the previous pages and replace the 1st_read.bin with BA's gp.bin (make sure to rename to 1st_read.bin).

About roms.txt, i personally did have to rename them one by one otherwise they wont appear in the menu. Im not sure if this latest release still does that.

FYI- there are programs mentioned in previous pages on this thread that can help you deal with that problem.
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

BlackAura wrote:OK, here's another build to play with...

gpdc-20060726.zip

Only five changes worth mentioning, most of which aren't that important...
OK - how do I put this? I love you!

Can you stick a source delta out somewhere? I'm saying nothing about GPLs or anything - just want to play with it some more.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

DcSteve wrote:Dreamcast4life- WT= Warmtoe's release. Just download the plain files release of warmtoe's on the previous pages and replace the 1st_read.bin with BA's gp.bin (make sure to rename to 1st_read.bin).

About roms.txt, i personally did have to rename them one by one otherwise they wont appear in the menu. Im not sure if this latest release still does that.

FYI- there are programs mentioned in previous pages on this thread that can help you deal with that problem.
really? what can help me make a romlist? the only one i found was the dreamsnes one, how can that work if its made for Dsnes?
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

I still don't get the whole Romlst thing at all. I tried using it and it said it found zero roms. My games are in ZIP format, but how do you get the DSNES one to recognize the roms?

EDIT: Just tried your newest release, BA, and I must say, the compatability is a MILLION times better! Even Rockman Megaworld runs! It didn't on Warmtoe's release! And you got rid of the weird video glitch in Sonic 2 that when the stars sparkled at the title screen, the screen was like pink instead of black. You are truely the greatest! But you already knew that, didn't you? You even added saving! {somewhat} My only complaint now is the lame way to add roms, but I guess it's not so bad...seeing as how you program BETTER than Sega THEMSELVES could! Ha! Thank you for EVERYTHING, BA! And thank you Warmtoe for helping us get to this point!

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

emu boots but roms won't run, I tested them in gens plus so they do work.
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

The ROM list stuff isn't all that complicated, is it?!

It is a bit simplistic, but it means you can have game descriptions simply...

What is so complicated about it?

ZIPNAME Description as long as you want
ZIPNAME2 Description 2 as long as you want

Is the problem one of typing here?

1) copy your roms to gpwt\data\ROMS
2) dir gpwt\data\ROMS /B > gpwt\data\ROMS.txt
3) Edit gpwt\data\ROMS.txt and put descriptions against each name
4) Burn.

Sure, step 3 has some typing (lots of typing) - but you have to suffer for your art!
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

why couldn't this be like the old GPDC, where you just add the roms to the damn folder, make a self boot image and burn?
alb3530
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by alb3530 »

DcSteve wrote:Just download the plain files release of warmtoe's on the previous pages and replace the 1st_read.bin with BA's gp.bin (make sure to rename to 1st_read.bin)
Why does one need to replace .bin file of Warmtoe's release with that from Black Aura, if the zip file Warmtoe gave us has only one .bin file inside?
Isn't it just to download the last file BA posted and the thing is ready to go?Can someone assist me with it, please?
Http_user_agent:
Profile/MIDP-2.0
Configuration/CLDC-1.1