Help! Discs not working!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
lukin321
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help! Discs not working!

Post by lukin321 »

OK everyone, i'm new at this. Just picked up a Dreamcast today and i'm trying to make a roms disc. I've followed instructions and burned discs using both FrNES and NesterDC. But everytime I try to get the disc running on the DC, the system resets itself. Is there a certain way to get the discs up and running? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
JohnnyB
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by JohnnyB »

There's a chance that your Dreamcast can't read CD-Rs, you are using CD-Rs right? Try burning a CDI release with BootDreams just incase it's user error.
lukin321
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by lukin321 »

JohnnyB wrote:There's a chance that your Dreamcast can't read CD-Rs, you are using CD-Rs right? Try burning a CDI release with BootDreams just incase it's user error.
Well I scrolled down the list of compatible DCs that read cdrs and mine matched so I don't think that's the problem. I'm sorry i'm not familiar with CDI. Any help with that? Also my cousin had given me a cdr with nothing but ROMs on it and a cd called "Sega Smash Pack Volumn 1" Is there some way to get the roms to play with that or something?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

We can't help you get the Smash Pack working, as that was a commercial product. As for NesterDC, the method JohnnyB suggested should work for you. I haven't used BootDreams (slacker I am) but others have had success with it. It should make the disc image for you and everything. Check DCHelp for all the apps you'll need, as well as helpful tutorials.
lukin321
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by lukin321 »

OneThirty8 wrote:We can't help you get the Smash Pack working, as that was a commercial product. As for NesterDC, the method JohnnyB suggested should work for you. I haven't used BootDreams (slacker I am) but others have had success with it. It should make the disc image for you and everything. Check DCHelp for all the apps you'll need, as well as helpful tutorials.
OK i'll definitely give everything another go. Maybe something happened in the process that caused it to not load. Is there any specific trick to getting it running? Or do you just pop the disc in, turn on the machine and it loads like a normal game would? Thanks again for the help guys.
lukin321
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by lukin321 »

hmm it's doing the same thing...as soon as i start the disc up the machine resets. maybe it's something i'm doing wrong. this might be a stretch but would anyone be willing to make a disc for me if i send them the roms to use??
robotecha5
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by robotecha5 »

Are you trying to put the roms and emulator on the same disc?
If so put them on seperate ones its easier.
SEGA FOREVER
lukin321
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by lukin321 »

robotecha5 wrote:Are you trying to put the roms and emulator on the same disc?
If so put them on seperate ones its easier.
oh really? so would i just skip the step that puts the roms into the image i'm going to burn and just burn the emulator that way? do i have to run the emulator disc in the dreamcast first and then switch to the roms disc?>
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Insane homebrew collector.
lukin321
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by lukin321 »

Christuserloeser wrote:I made a tutorial, hope it helps:

http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=82700