SNES4ALL alpha compatability list!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

SNES4ALL alpha compatability list!

Post by Green Ranger » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:32 pm

Yup, time to see what this baby can do :wink:

This thread is for testing various snes games with the new SNES4ALL emulator realsed by Chui. I have tested a few games and am quite surprised by its abilities so far. The speed and music playback on the games I've tested are amazing, considering that this is just an alpha release.

Please note, the various games I've texted have the following settings:
Frameskip: 0 (and also tested in auto)
Sound: On

Being an RPG fan, I thought I'd start off with the various games:

Chrono Trigger -Game speed is great, music plays great, no graphical glithces. This game is definitely playable on your DC!

Tales Of Phantasia -Great speed, sound effects echo periodically, but worse of all this title causes the emulator to crash in just a few minutes from starting the game up:(

Star Ocean -Major graphical glitches, but music sounds perfect.

Sailormoon Another Story - The only flaw is that music slows down somewhat when entering or exiting rooms. However game speed is almost perfect, music otherwise plays perfect, no graphical glitches that I have noticed. Definitely playable on the DC!

Super Mario RPG - Music is slow, game crashes during the game's intro. :(

Terranigma - Game speed is somewhat slow, music is somewhat slow, sounds effects sound a bit off, minor graphical glitches. Music sounds better and gamespeed somewhat improved when frameskip is on auto. Quite playable on the DC!

Tenchi Muyo - Game speed slow (by 40%), music slow (by 40%). No graphical glitches that I am aware of.

Treasure Hunter G - game speed somewhat slow, music somewhat slow, game crashes early on during gameplay though.

Clocktower (not an RPG but more survival horror) - music slow (by 40%), gamespeed slow (by 40%), no graphical glitches that I am aware of.

Treasure of the Rudas - gamespeed is great, music somewhat slow, however english text is hard to read once you've patched the rom with an english patch.

Overall, this emulator is able to emulate music and overall gamespeed rather well! Some games have graphical glitches and some crash the emulator, but if this is only the alpha release, I am sure future releases will be more stable. Chui, if you are reading this thank you for taking the time and effort into making this emulator for the Dreamcast community. We look forward to seeing much more of your work in the future.

Everyone please feel free to add any games to the this list that you have tried on this emulator. I will periodically return to add more to the list as well.
Last edited by Green Ranger on Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Go Power Rangers!!!
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:15 pm

Nice list. I'll try and get my tests done when my Dreamcast is fixed.
IceRoseDivinegon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by IceRoseDivinegon » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:02 pm

I'm also impressed with what SNES4All can do so far. There are only two major things I've found that need to be fixed in the next release:

Every single Shanghai game/Super Uno--freezes or eventually freezes in-game

Please fix X and Y on the controller!--A lot of games are a pain to play because of this (The DKC trilogy :x)

And on a (slightly) positive note, I've tested Yoshi's Island (v1.2) (J) and it plays as fast as it did on DreamSNES (except for a few missing backgrounds...and I didn't get very far in World 1-1 before it eventually froze...) The only reason I'm mentioning this game is to point out that if it's already at this point on the first release, with a little more patience it is capable of running fullspeed (eventually). Keep up the good work!
Sigs are for losers who crave attention. Cigarettes are for losers who crave nicotine. I'd rather crave nicotine than attention.
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters

Post by lackofsense » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:35 pm

what about A and B?
Also the transparencies seem to be missing in a few games.
One more thing, the options in the menu do nothing.
Regardless of the setting, the games run with sound and auto frameskip.

Most game I have tried have run well, but at a slow skipping pace. This was to be expected in this particular release. I can see the why for most of these problems, save for the mislaid button configuration.

Now for a few game specific crashes

DBZ hyper-dimension "english-hack" The emulator froze during the story mode introduction.
X-men: mutant apocolypse The emulator froze immediately after character selection.
Yu Yu Hakusho Final The emulator froze at the end of a fight when a slow-motion effect is usually applied.

I find that most games from konami work well, but I haven't tested Gradius 3 yet.
Overall, this is a good release and I can't wait for the next one.
Thank You
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:44 pm

I know the emulation isn't perfect but I have to say that the sound code is really clean and has that interface on the emulator that is as great as chuis previous emulators. Cheers to chui for trying to complete the impossible. Amiga was something that made me crap myself!
Have you played dreamcast today?
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Green Ranger » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:54 pm

lackofsense wrote:One more thing, the options in the menu do nothing.
Regardless of the setting, the games run with sound and auto frameskip.
Really? As far as the frameskip is concerned I only tried it on 0 and auto, but I could've sworn Terranigma ran better on the auto setting...

I agree with you on the other options though. When I try to reset the emulator to play another rom from the options menu nothing happens, thus forcing me to reboot my dreamcast so to select another game.

More games to add to the list are as follows:

The Adventures of Batman and Robin - Gamespeed slow (by 30%), music slow as well (by 30%)

Donald Duck in Maui Mallard - Great speed, music somewhat slow, but terrible graphical glitches.

Inspector Gadget - Great Speed, music somewhat slow, if frameskip is on 0 the music will not sync with the rest of the game. On Auto the music syncs to gameplay.

Starfox 2 - Does not boot up, causes emulator to crash.

Rendering Ranger 2 - Great speed, music somewhat slow, minor graphical glithces

Jelly Boy 2 - Speed somewhat slow, music somewhat slow, no noticeable graphical glitches.
Go Go Power Rangers!!!
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:49 pm

OK, I finally dug up my Dreamcast and gave this emu a shot... here are the results of my testing:

Super Mario World - Speed: 40% (FS=0) - Not bad with zero frameskip. It's definately playable, but definately slow. :|
Donkey Kong Country - Speed: 30% (FS=0) - Really slow for a game that usually runs well... you can still play it at this speed, but it's not very fun!
Kirby Super Star - Speed: 15% (FS=0) - Don't bother trying this one... unbearably slow at the time being.

Keep in mind, all my tests were done on Frame skip = 0, mainly cause I can't stand frame skip! If you don't mind it though, results might be a little better for you.

That's all for now... maybe more later. :)