Video freezes while audio plays

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
USCHAMP
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Video freezes while audio plays

Post by USCHAMP »

When I try to play a .avi file the video freezes but I can hear the audio meerily playing along in the background. The video doesn't catch up either, it just sits on one image. Does anyone know what the prob is? Maybe it is teh Office Depot CD's and I just need better ones or maybe it is something I am doing wrong. So please reply... :roll:
mirrorsaw_2000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mirrorsaw_2000 »

Are you using Beta 2? Did you re-encode with the proper settings?
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

I had this happen with some of my divx videos, it still happens but if you wait like a few seconds or so, the video will jump into play and it will sync up and everything. Its happened on a few episodes of DBZ that i didn't encode myself.

I used the last beta that was out btw... i haven't tried the newest one yet.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
An0nym0usWebmaster
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by An0nym0usWebmaster »

its a problem with the video. goto like http://www.divx-digest.com and search for like divfix or divxfreeze. one of those should fix the problem.
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by 999 »

I've spent the better part of the day working with avi encoding settings, and I've encountered the exact same problem when my video framerate is set too high.

For some reason, video over 24fps lock up if they're encoded higher than 500kbps. To fix that, reencode the file in Tmpeg @ 23.976 fps, then reencode to divx @ 700kbps + 64/22050 audio :)
gottahavit
DCDivX Creator
DCDivX Creator

Post by gottahavit »

999 wrote:I've spent the better part of the day working with avi encoding settings, and I've encountered the exact same problem when my video framerate is set too high.

For some reason, video over 24fps lock up if they're encoded higher than 500kbps. To fix that, reencode the file in Tmpeg @ 23.976 fps, then reencode to divx @ 700kbps + 64/22050 audio :)
This is simply due the the fact that the decoder cannot keep up with the audio and is attempting to drop frames. However with the Dreamcast the display routines are very fast and therefore dropping frames has little effect since we need to decode all frames anyway. If you are encoding for both your desktop and the DC try encoding using Divx 5.0 pro and using B Frames. Crrently our player just skips B-frames and therefore can playback much higher framrate/samplerate video, since B-frames do not need to be decoded at all if they do not need to be displayed. A future version will be able to actually decode B-frames, but these types of frames allow the player to catch up and stay up with audio much better. Of course for ow if you are encoding strictly for the DC then you should not use B-frames and simply pick a bitrate and framrate that the DC can handle.
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by 999 »

Thanks for the FYI Gottahavit :)

I'm a PocketPC DivX veteran, and am aware of the requirements, just not the programmer "lingo" or the technical reasons as to why some encoding methods work the way they do.

700kbps works great on the DC provided you encode at specific settings. I don't have DivX 5.0 pro, nor do I care to pay for it, or sport some ad-aware banner software on my comp. That said I'll have to continue encoding the way I know works best for me.