Game Engine

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Sal001
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Game Engine

Post by Sal001 »

Are there any Game Engines that are ported to Dreamcast that can be used to build a 3D game. The first one that comes to mind is Crystal Space (http://crystal.linuxgames.com). I am sure there are others.

I don't know if anyone has started the effort. I might be available to help (with basic C++ knowledge) in the summer.
reptilezero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by reptilezero »

i'd LOVE to see a clean version of the quake source ported to the DC. There's also that Genesis 3D engine that's open source ( http://www.genesis3d.com/ ) Wish i had the skills to port programs, but i'm far too lazy :)
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

They have trouble making 3d engines using the dev. tools that are available.

BTW, shouldn't this be in the what I want people to make me during their free time forum?
reptilezero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by reptilezero »

if it belongs anywhere, i would have to say the DC FPS Forum.
Sal001
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Sort of.

Post by Sal001 »

It's a games engine, and one that facilitates Homebrew game development.

However, this really isn't a request for - here is what I want people to make me. It was to get discussion going to see if, and why not. If there was interest and no other projects started to do this, I was going to start up a porting effort and try to recruit some DC developers to help out (since currently my time is limited until April).

So, I have no interest in making a blind request - I want to help out.
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

It's mighty selfish to think of just yourself, then again not thinking of the possibilties so far with what KOS has to offer.

I would say that KOS is getting better each day/week/month, as each free lance coder decides to improve its code each day/week/month.

So the best thing to do, is to just try to enjoy it on the PC for a while, if you can not get to porting it yourself.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
Sal001
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Sal001 »

It's mighty selfish to think of just yourself, then again not thinking of the possibilties so far with what KOS has to offer.
Ummm, maybe I miscommunicated wrongly. I want to port this engine to the Dreamcast using KOS so other game developers can use it to develop games. I am not sure where that is exactly selfish, though I do confess that I have a few small game ideas that I might write using one of these engines.