quick, probably dumb, question

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
angelsdontkill
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

quick, probably dumb, question

Post by angelsdontkill »

when burning, which do you use - CD-R's or DVD-R's? or does it not matter? I just don't want to waste any discs. thanks.
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

There's no such thing as a dumb question. :wink:

Use cd-r's, dreamcasts can't read dvds. And make sure you use a decent brand such as Verbatim, Maxell, etc. Crappy brands make the laser work a lot harder and may not even work at all.
"and if your kids don't obey you, you can always beat them with a sack of Valencia oranges. They don't leaves bruises and your kids will always know who's boss."
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Syd wrote:There's no such thing as a dumb question. :wink:

Use cd-r's, dreamcasts can't read dvds. And make sure you use a decent brand such as Verbatim, Maxell, etc. Crappy brands make the laser work a lot harder and may not even work at all.
Well, a lot of that has to do with your Dreamcast. In fact, one of mine seems to do better with cheaper CD-R's.

Anyway - Syd is perfectly correct. CD-R's are the only thing you can use in your DC. The DC is incapable of reading DVD's at all, and is also incapable of reading CD-RW's (unless you make a potentially dangerous modification to the laser).
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

There's no such thing as a dumb question
I can think of one that loads of people have asked... but then I'd need to bring this out...

But to bring this on topic I use any old nonsense CD-R's, even ones that look like footballs (soccer balls) and it works just fine. And I've used 3 different burners including a DVD-R and loads of software too.

I think it depends more on your Dreamcast whether it's fussy or not rather than certain CD's not being good in general.
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

curt_grymala wrote:The DC is ... incapable of reading CD-RW's (unless you make a potentially dangerous modification to the laser).
Some Dreamcasts can/could read CD-RW media out of the box. But, yeah - that's directly related to the laser's intensity being greater than that of a standard Dreamcast's laser.