NinCast64 (N64 emu)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Segata
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Segata »

Again, NEO4ALL AES loads 64 megabyte, unencrypted, roms; if i'm right.

If this emulator had a 32 megaBIT limit, it wouldnt be able to load a 64 megaBIT rom such as Super Mario 64.

I really don't have any particular interest in defending the coders of this emulators, but they've showed that they're real programmers and have showed what they can do in several occasions.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

While I don't doubt that it's possible to get Nintendo 64 emulation up to 12FPS on the Dreamcast, I should point out that it could be an early prank for dia de los inocentes.

Though, ron and the rest of the crew at DCiberia have proven themselves to be trustworthy before, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

Yeah they always post the news at dcemu uk and this time neither commented.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

)()( wait and see !
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

That'd be one hell of an early prank (D?a de los Inocentes = Dec. 28)
Segata
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Segata »

Yes, it'd be completely stupid from them or from anyone else to do it 15 days before the actual day.

Ron's msn screenname says something like "please stop asking about nincast".
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Juan wrote:That'd be one hell of an early prank ( D?a de los Inocentes = Dec. 28 )
It wouldn't be the first time someone pulled a prank half a month before their nation's respective "fools day".

I honestly doubt that it is a prank, but I'm just pointing out that it has been done before. I'm not doubting the authors, I'm just keeping my reservations on this one.
JohnnyB
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by JohnnyB »

I'm sure someone with enough time and skill could get N64 running smoothly on the Dreamcast. I mean look at Bleemcast!, it's silky smooth AND has all kinds of graphical enhancements.

There are only a handful of 'complete' emulators at this point though and they're for 8-bit stuff(NES, SMS, GBC). I don't even see the 16-bit stuff being finished, let alone the 32/64-bit. Neo Geo and Genesis look promising but TG16 and SNES seem dead in the water.
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

JohnnyB wrote:I'm sure someone with enough time and skill could get N64 running smoothly on the Dreamcast. I mean look at Bleemcast!, it's silky smooth AND has all kinds of graphical enhancements.

There are only a handful of 'complete' emulators at this point though and they're for 8-bit stuff(NES, SMS, GBC). I don't even see the 16-bit stuff being finished, let alone the 32/64-bit. Neo Geo and Genesis look promising but TG16 and SNES seem dead in the water.
Keep in mind that Bleemcast! used a lot of different game specific enhancements. In other words, it couldn't run every psx game smoothly, just one or two in particular. This could probably be done for Mario 64, for example.

As for TG16 and SNES, the quick answer is that it is quite difficult to get fullspeed on either of those systems unfortunately. :?
"and if your kids don't obey you, you can always beat them with a sack of Valencia oranges. They don't leaves bruises and your kids will always know who's boss."
Damon Plus
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Damon Plus »

Wasn?t the original plan for Bleemcast to release some CDs that could emulate about 100 games each?
Segata
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Segata »

Yes, that was the idea. Those "hacks" are kind of dirty tricks, but in emulators like Bleemcast!, which were made to run psx games as realistically as possible, they're perfect. We're not talking about MAME; which intends to emulate all those machines as accurately as possible.

Aanyway, anything will be welcome (except the confirmation that it was complete vapourware).
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

JohnnyB wrote:I'm sure someone with enough time and skill could get N64 running smoothly on the Dreamcast. I mean look at Bleemcast!, it's silky smooth AND has all kinds of graphical enhancements.
Not only is the Playstation quite a bit less powerful than the N64, it also has a much simpler architecture. I can't imagine a playable N64 emulator on the Dreamcast short of some sweeping revolution in programming, not just on the Dreamcast but through the whole software world.

Of course an emulator doesn't have to be playable to be an emulator. Like Rand Linden always said, a Dreamcast could emulate a PS2 (and most people, it seemed missed the point of that comment, too).

And yeah, of course 12fps is unplayable. Anyone who plays a 30fps game at 12fps is a fool. Even a turnbased RPG or simulator would be ridiculous at 12fps. Though personally, I won't even touch an emulator where the framskip has to be up over one or two. It just ruins the kind of fine mechanics that make video games enjoyable in the first place.
That's because of the good cores written for M68000 and Z80 processors. It was sensible to put the work into those cores since they can be used in emulating so many systems like the Neo Geo, Genesis, Amiga and quite a lot of other arcade and computer architectures that haven't been implemented on the Dreamcast yet. Whereas I think the CPUs in the SNES and TurboGrafx were custom and only used in those specific systems, or at least they weren't used anywhere near as widely as the 68000.

But I, too, really really hope to see the SNES and TurboGrafx coming to my Dreamcast someday soon. I'd sure as hell take either of those over the even a flawless N64 emulator any day.

...word is bondage...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Sweater Fish wrote:Like Rand Linden always said, a Dreamcast could emulate a PS2 (and most people, it seemed missed the point of that comment, too).

...word is bondage...
when was that? unless I missed something it wasn't on these forums...
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Quzar wrote:
Sweater Fish wrote:Like Rand Linden always said, a Dreamcast could emulate a PS2 (and most people, it seemed missed the point of that comment, too).

...word is bondage...
when was that? unless I missed something it wasn't on these forums...
I think he just meant that PS2 can be emulated on DC, in a way of just converting the way DC handles PS2 games, just don't expect to see a high framerate. Even the most modern pc's still have trouble with PS2 emulation. But who knows what next year may bring :D
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

I don't recall specifically saying that a DC could emulate a PS2 -- although if I did, it likely would have been in the context that Sweater Fish describes it.

I do recall that many years ago at an E3 I said something relating to the possibility of emulating the PS2 and/or PS2 games: The early PS2 titles were barely using the capabilities of the hardware, thus making it possible to emulate them.

If someone were to find references / links / examples of either of those comments, I could certainly take a look and verify them.

Rand.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

The comment was along the lines of
Rand Linden wrote:And after seeing the games of the Playstation 2, I'm not entirely sure that the Dreamcast couldn't emulate them
Note that that comment was from memory, so it's probably not 100% accurate, but I do remember reading it when the bleemcast forums here were still going strong.
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

Rand Linden wrote:I don't recall specifically saying that a DC could emulate a PS2 -- although if I did, it likely would have been in the context that Sweater Fish describes it.

I do recall that many years ago at an E3 I said something relating to the possibility of emulating the PS2 and/or PS2 games: The early PS2 titles were barely using the capabilities of the hardware, thus making it possible to emulate them.

If someone were to find references / links / examples of either of those comments, I could certainly take a look and verify them.

Rand.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

MetaFox wrote:The comment was along the lines of
Rand Linden wrote:And after seeing the games of the Playstation 2, I'm not entirely sure that the Dreamcast couldn't emulate them
Note that that comment was from memory, so it's probably not 100% accurate, but I do remember reading it when the bleemcast forums here were still going strong.
That quote sounds like something I'd have written -- it matches what Sweater Fish recalls and what I remember about the early PS2 titles as well.

In any event, I agree with the quote.

Thanks,

Rand.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

dr apocalipsis wrote:It uses MMU, and a ASM x86 port to SH4 of MIPS R4300i 64-bit RISC (93.75MHz) , and RCP (Reality CoProcessor 62.5MHz).

It runs at 12 without sound. For now can only handle a maximun of 32MB Roms.

Amazing!
How do you port x86 to SH4? Not Possible right? Lock
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.