NesterDC SE - All is ready

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by impact135 »

if and when there is an update would i have to redownload all the library stuff ?

also im downloading stuff now.. and it says california raisins not found in db.. will that rom be on my cd?
DARKGATE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKGATE »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I don't know what tell, is a marvelous work.
Scherzo Thank you!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
You have made an incredible work.
THANK YOU from the SICILY :wink: .
P.S.
I not found the scanner boxs of DONKEY KONG, DONKEY KONG JR, and DONKEY KONG 3.
user6336
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by user6336 »

When i'm building, after its done compiling and everything it says this:
First making ISO... OK!
Now making CDI from ISO... OK!
CD build process completed!!!
Launching appropriate cd burning program.
...and no burning program loads. I go into the NesterDCSE directory and there are no image files there (no data.iso - it deleted itself, or anything .cdi or .nrg), and when i try to make the datatemp directory selfboot (using selfboot inducer), it says it "Cannot Execute Bin2Boot.exe". What is the problem? I reeeeeeealy want this to work! :D
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

I had no problems building the cd image, I liked everything in the automatised program and I appreciate the effort of collecting all the scans, manuals, etc but there where somethings I didn't like on the Nester DC SE:

Negative aspects:
Analog <- + Start to access the menu. Really bad, can't use saturn pad to play. I would prefer to use the X or Y button, or R+ Start. Or use the second pad, keyboard...
No Low-Res video mode.
UI could be better, I found a bit hard to browse the games list, positive aspect on this one is the favorites so it's not so bad. Plus custom UI.
Loading is a bit long for start up of the emu.
2nd player can't use the emu menu.

Positive aspects everything else really, great job overall.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
JS Lemming
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JS Lemming »

In the process of building. It looks sharp so far Scherzo!
Travis of the Cosmos
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Travis of the Cosmos »

Make sure you have enough space on your hardrive.

I only had 120 MB of roms unzipped, but I needed more than 1GB for the downloads and disc images. The game manuals are the biggest part of the downloads by far, about 250MB v. 10MB for the other stuff.

And if the database doesn't have extras for a given game, the game is still included on the disc, but there will be no box cover and etc. shown for that game on the menu.
Wise fwom your Gwave!!!!
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

thanks for the release. i will build my disc later..! :)
DC FoReVeR.!!!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

user6336 wrote:...and no burning program loads. I go into the NesterDCSE directory and there are no image files there (no data.iso - it deleted itself, or anything .cdi or .nrg), and when i try to make the datatemp directory selfboot (using selfboot inducer), it says it "Cannot Execute Bin2Boot.exe". What is the problem? I reeeeeeealy want this to work! :D
You seem to have the problem with bin2boot that a few people have been having, but nobody else has been able to reproduce or work out what's causing it.

You could try using LyingWake's BootDreams, which should be able to burn the disc directly using cdrecord.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

erreth wrote:I'm having similar issue as well. All my roms are renamed and have had the extensions dropped off. The builder doesn't pick up anything but the two i left .nes on.

I know I can rename them in DOS but cannot find the command to do it. I also know goodNES could do it but I can't get that to start up on my system. I thought there was a front end version available aswell which I cannot find only the DOS version.

Anyone know the DOS command to get it done?
You can try Renamer. That's what I used to add the extentions all about 700+ ROMs at once.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

I kinda like how some of the manuals have little hand written scribbles on them, reminds me of when i did it in the good old days :)
4lyes
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Problem with Nesterdc

Post by 4lyes »

Tried 3 discs already, none seem to be working all the manuals etc. upload to the image fine however during the image creation i get the message wince flag not found in ip.bin. & ip.bin not hacked. I am burning the cd using alcohol raw dao. When insert the cd in the DC its says please insert game cd and just shows the music cd. Any help will be greatly appeciated thanks.
Live, enjoy and love life.
Don't forget to excerise thanx ddr :)
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

Scherzo... you're a good man.
Christuserloeser

Re: Problem with Nesterdc

Post by Christuserloeser »

4lyes wrote:Tried 3 discs already, none seem to be working all the manuals etc. upload to the image fine however during the image creation i get the message wince flag not found in ip.bin. & ip.bin not hacked. I am burning the cd using alcohol raw dao. When insert the cd in the DC its says please insert game cd and just shows the music cd. Any help will be greatly appeciated thanks.
Try Alcohol's TAO mode :wink:
Insane homebrew collector.
Darkfalz
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Darkfalz »

Does this have zapper support with light gun?! If not I wouldn't really bother with it... if so, I'll download right now!
JohnnyB
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by JohnnyB »

Where can I download this?
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

tog et his page address check the topic about the hard release date.

question though. is there no "frameskip" like fast forwarding?

Overall I love this emu! best thing to hit the dcemu scene in a LONG time.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
4lyes
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by 4lyes »

it worked perfecty Thanks :)
Live, enjoy and love life.
Don't forget to excerise thanx ddr :)
Christuserloeser

At first I have to thank you for this fantastic release! :iluvu: This thing is incredible!

I think it'll only show its full beauty if you actually got all the bonus stuff for your games on the disc, but then it should look absolutly amazing! A good reason to start a public request for contribution to your database! ^^

I got an incredible lot of (translated) Japanese games in my collection so for now my library looks a bit empty here and there but I guess it's just a matter of time to get rid of the empty places ^^ For now an optional plain file browser would be nice... ;)

To find out all the features this thing offers and how incredibly customizable it is it will take me some time I guess ^^

However, I noticed that a lot of things from your personal To Do list didn't make it into this release - does that mean that we can expect something like weekly/monthly builds in the future ? :D

LacanZZ wrote:This emu is awesome, but anyway I discovered something. Your right that Castlevania III doesn't run full speed, but thats the USA version that does that, the Japanese version however runs at full or near full speed. I wonder why, since the Japanese version used a more advanced chip then the USA version?
The Japanese version (Akumajou Densetsu) runs at exactly 50 FPS out of 60 which isn't too bad. Enabling some tiny little frameskip for the game should do the job I think.

Strapping Scherzo wrote:I realize that some NSFs are bunk. Most of these NSFs came from a very large archive I found on a p2p network. I didn't get a chance to verify them all.
We released our DCEvolution DEP: NES Edition a while ago. It included the probably most complete NSF collection around spanning several impressive archives. Just insert the disc in your PC! Beside the complete Zophar archive, you should definitly check out Kevin Horton's collection which is also included - it's probably the finest selection of high quality NSF rips available!

http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=71270

Download: http://www.dcevolution.net/cgi-bin/down ... DEPNES.rar

Allow me to post some feature requests to hopefully contribute some ideas to improve an already very impressive piece of software:

Disc Builder:
  • Allow to save a log file so it's easier to keep track of games that weren't recognized and properly renamed during the disc building process
  • Add an option to prevent the disc builder from actually compiling the CDI/NRG so it's possible to add or adjust things and to use your favorite selfboot utility with custom IP.BIN logo, Joilet support, etc. (BootDreams).

In-Game-Menu:
  • Add 'Next/Previous Game' option (similar to DSNES)
  • Add quick link to the Options menu
  • Allow to highlight "Return to Main Menu" by pressing Up once the In-Game-Menu has been entered ("Return to game" is highlighted) so you do no have to press Down ten times before you finally can select "Return to the Main Menu"

NSF Player:
  • Allow free file/archive/disc browsing to listen to all those great original NSF compositions, remixes and your complete games' rips archive.
  • I agree with a loop limit but also to have the unlimited loop still available as an option cause it's nice :)
  • Additioal "Remote" controls would be cool: L/R - Previous tune/Next tune, A - Play, B - Stop, X - Next NSF, Y - Previous NSF, Start - File browser/Back to Mainmenu (or something like that). This allows to turn off your TV and use your DC in combination with your Stereo as a full blown NES media player :)
  • I noticed that if you exit the NSF player with an NSF running and go ahead to select a game, the browsing slows down a lot, maybe it'd be cool to auto-enable a plain game listing instead to 'hide' this. That way the user still can look at the manuals etc while the NSFs are running. Otherwise the NSF playback should auto-stop when exiting the NSF player. Then again this could be optional too.

Additional Options:
  • Option to seperatly deactivate Box/Cart/etc previews for game browsing so only e.g. title-shots or e.g. a plain game listing remain as browser. Other media then still could be viewed once a game is selected.
  • (Re)Enable a 'Respect screen ratio aspect' for screen resizing. SMSplus & Nester6.0 used the Y-Button.
Does NesterDCSE save settings (like e.g. Screen size) to VMU ?

Controls:
  • Additionally to L+R it would be cool to use the Analoge Stick for faster browsing of the library's entries. It should be slower than L+R but faster than the D-Pad.
Pyrite wrote:Analog <- + Start to access the menu. Really bad, can't use saturn pad to play. I would prefer to use the X or Y button, or R+ Start. Or use the second pad, keyboard...
I second that. Like I already posted in the 'Hard Release' thread, it'd have my vote to use a key kombination like e.g. L+R+Start instead of using the Analog stick at all to activate the in-game-menu which would also allow my beloved Arcade-Stick to be used :)

Sorry for the looooong list of features that I requested, but I think your emu would deserve to have those implemented.

PS: I noticed one wrong entry in the database: SkyKid displays the boxart of SkyShark too. All other entries seem to be correct.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

One thing I would like to see is random nsf playing on startup of the emu.

Also it would be cool to see some kind of template in place of games that are missing box-art etc instead of just a blank spot maybe.

Great great work. I was also thinking it would be cool to add a section for classic nes commercials from the past that would be cool. Maybe someone could come up with some cool interactive screensavers when the nsf player is playing.
Christuserloeser

The template idea is nice!

Hey, we got quite a lot of NES commercials in our NES DEP release. Check the link above ;)