NesterDC SE - All is ready

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Segata Sanshiro wrote:I made an image with 879 Roms with all the extras, excluding only the Instruction manual and the CDI is 155Mb... had a lot of Japanese roms though (theres on cover and cartridge scans for those).
That actually sounds about right. The entire extras library is 390 MB. The manuals portion of the library take up 315 MB. So if you choose not to have manuals, the build should go pretty fast and you can definitely fit every ROM you've got.
rastaman33
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by rastaman33 »

i made a image with 2291 games with all the extra stuff and it ended with a 714 mb discjuggler file.
im going to test it right now. thank you scherzo for this wonderful thing! )()(
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

First of all let me congratulate you!!! Excellent work. It sets a new standard for emulators.

A question:
None of the features
such as screenshots, Game Genie codes, etc. require you to
have anything other than NES ROMs
so i guess that your program takes the screenshots directly from the rom. is that right?

if so why doesn't it take shots from the Japanese roms?
is there a setting i'm missing?
if not, is it possible to add this feature to a future release?
It would be good to have them since they're missing the manual scans and leave a empty space in the otherwise excellent looking menu.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Segata Sanshiro wrote:First of all let me congratulate you!!! Excellent work. It sets a new standard for emulators.

A question:
None of the features
such as screenshots, Game Genie codes, etc. require you to
have anything other than NES ROMs
so i guess that your program takes the screenshots directly from the rom. is that right?

if so why doesn't it take shots from the Japanese roms?
is there a setting i'm missing?
if not, is it possible to add this feature to a future release?
It would be good to have them since they're missing the manual scans and leave a empty space in the otherwise excellent looking menu.
No ROMs have screenshots in them. The screenshots are downloaded from my website. I got my screenshots from screenshotarchive.com. They have an archive of screenshots for 1179 Japanese games. I just didn't bother with that the first time around. That's a lot of data entry. Do you guys have any idea how much time I spent with just data entry on this project? Matching up screenshots, boxes, and such with GoodNES entries. There's a whole database that you guys don't see that makes the extra features work as well as they do and not have duplicates for different dumps of the same game.

Bottom line, one day I will put in all the screenshots for Japanese ROMs as well. Just not today.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Strapping Scherzo wrote: No ROMs have screenshots in them. The screenshots are downloaded from my website.
Ah, ok, sorry for the stupid question.
I got my screenshots from screenshotarchive.com. They have an archive of screenshots for 1179 Japanese games. I just didn't bother with that the first time around. That's a lot of data entry. Do you guys have any idea how much time I spent with just data entry on this project? Matching up screenshots, boxes, and such with GoodNES entries. There's a whole database that you guys don't see that makes the extra features work as well as they do and not have duplicates for different dumps of the same game.
Man i imagine that is an insane amount of time and patience!!
Thanx again for making it easy and good looking for the lazy bastards that we are :)
Bottom line, one day I will put in all the screenshots for Japanese ROMs as well. Just not today.
Don't worry, by 'next update' i didn't mean to push you... we have enough entertainment for at least 6 months.

Again great stuff... and thanx for sacrificing your bandwidth:)
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Like Segata said, you have six months. jk.

I will burn right now. Man, hope I can get all the stuff on dial-up.

:kiss)
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

how does the builder know what rom to attach everything to if we named our roms something odd? Like lets say my "dusty diamond's all star softball" was just softball?
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

how does the builder know what rom to attach everything to if we named our roms something odd? Like lets say my "dusty diamond's all star softball" was just softball?
It's called a Cyclic Redundancy Check otherwise known as a CRC (Wikipedia Article). It's the same algorithm used by ROM auditing programs like GoodNES. Basically what's important is the data in the ROM not its filename.
Again great stuff... and thanx for sacrificing your bandwidth:)
LOL Check out my website's network graph for the past 24 hours. You can see that a little after hour zero (midnight) it shot up big time. I've served out 29.45GB in the past 12 hours alone. Yikes. If it gets close to my limit I'll just pay for the extra bandwidth. No problem.

See that little spike around 8 o'clock (hour 20)? That was my personal final building test. Worked OK for me. Too bad some people have had problems.
erreth
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by erreth »

I'm having similar issue as well. All my roms are renamed and have had the extensions dropped off. The builder doesn't pick up anything but the two i left .nes on.

I know I can rename them in DOS but cannot find the command to do it. I also know goodNES could do it but I can't get that to start up on my system. I thought there was a front end version available aswell which I cannot find only the DOS version.

Anyone know the DOS command to get it done?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Like I said, I have the bandwidth if you need it. No point in spending any extra if it's not needed.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

I thought there was a front end version available aswell which I cannot find only the DOS version.
The GUI frontend for the Good Tools is called GoodWindows. It works well.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Or just use Romcenter with no-intro dats.

Sooooooooo much cleaner than GoodNES.
erreth
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by erreth »

Thanks Scherzo, however I get the same problem with GOodNES. Won't pick up the rom without the extensions. Which I removed to use on Nester for a cleaner look. Looks like I'm gonna need the DOS command to add an extension. Back to searching google I guess.

BTW how does your emu display the names. I hate when it's like:

Super Mario Bros (E) [a1].NES

Can't wait to get this running
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

hi. ok i have a few important questions before i start the download.

first of all.. i am on 56k and the manuals are like 300mb? i dont have a problem downloading that much but it will take some time. my internet kicks me off after about 4 hours or so. So i would have to reconnect then start again.. if i do this will all the stuff i already downloaded be there or will i have to start from scratch again.. because if i have to start from scratch again theres no way i can download hundreds of MB. is there something you can do to compress the images and everything or are they already compressed?

ok.. now my second concern.. my roms are in several directories already or what you would call folders. i think i remember you saying i couldnt do that.. but i really need my roms in the seperate folders that they are in now. i have favorites folder.. i have folder for usa a-l m-z japan 3 folders ... etc..famicom disc system folder and now a VS folder.. so if i just put all the roms together it wouldnt be a very fun process to select my game as i would have to sift thru thousands of games.

Can i keep my roms in these folders or is the only way to do the emu is to put the roms all in one folder?

One last question.. i wanted to know if i could keep my megaman background.. when i start up nester its got a picture of the title screen from megaman 2.. can you change skins on this emu?

thank you

also.. i dont have a problem downloading a lot of MB.. as i did that with my NES roms it took several days.. but i wanna know if it will work. and if you havent done it already please please please please... compress some of those library things for all us poor 56kers.

or is there any way you can send me a disc with all the library stuff already on it for every game? i would pay you 10-20 bucks for your time and effort. im talking to scherzo.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

first of all.. i am on 56k and the manuals are like 300mb? i dont have a problem downloading that much but it will take some time. my internet kicks me off after about 4 hours or so. So i would have to reconnect then start again.. if i do this will all the stuff i already downloaded be there or will i have to start from scratch again.. because if i have to start from scratch again theres no way i can download hundreds of MB. is there something you can do to compress the images and everything or are they already compressed?
If you get kicked off and have to start the process over again, it wil use the stuff previously downloaded instead of starting complete from scratch.

ok.. now my second concern.. my roms are in several directories already or what you would call folders. i think i remember you saying i couldnt do that.. but i really need my roms in the seperate folders that they are in now. i have favorites folder.. i have folder for usa a-l m-z japan 3 folders ... etc..famicom disc system folder and now a VS folder.. so if i just put all the roms together it wouldnt be a very fun process to select my game as i would have to sift thru thousands of games.
Sorry, but the builder current requires the roms to be in a single, flat folder. I will definitely fix this in the future. Sorry.

One last question.. i wanted to know if i could keep my megaman background.. when i start up nester its got a picture of the title screen from megaman 2.. can you change skins on this emu?
After you've unzipped everything, you could try changing "precd/graphics/Splash01.jpg" to something you like more. Just make sure it is a 640x480 jpg. That's all.
LacanZZ
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by LacanZZ »

This emu is awesome, but anyway I discovered something. Your right that Castlevania III doesn't run full speed, but thats the USA version that does that, the Japanese version however runs at full or near full speed. I wonder why, since the Japanese version used a more advanced chip then the USA version?
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Getting ready to make my first cd of this, I haven't burned a thing for my dreamcast in such a long time i am happy i finally have a good reason, hoping a new version of taov comes out soon.
Last edited by law56ker on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

i just tried castelvania 3 on nesterdc 7.1 and it works fine.. is this a game that is now worse in se?

if i download all this stuff then later on you add subdirectory support then would i have to redownload everything or could i just use the files i already downloaded?? thank you.

also i dont mean to be rude in asking but do you think you are going to add in directory support anytime soon? thank you. i know you are doing all this for free and we all appriciate it thank you.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

Strapping Scherzo wrote: Image
:o

Holy crap, thanks man.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

impact135 wrote:i just tried castelvania 3 on nesterdc 7.1 and it works fine.. is this a game that is now worse in se?

if i download all this stuff then later on you add subdirectory support then would i have to redownload everything or could i just use the files i already downloaded?? thank you.

also i dont mean to be rude in asking but do you think you are going to add in directory support anytime soon? thank you. i know you are doing all this for free and we all appriciate it thank you.
Maybe CV3 is something that managed to be worse in this version. Of course I'll look into it.