DOSBOXDC released

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by GPF »

mount a /vmu/a1

should mount the vmu in controller port 1, I havent tried it and would recommend a spare vmu, just in case.
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

now i have a question, can we change the defalt Z: drive of the emulator ?

bacause i have a game that need a free leter drive Z: to run.... is it possible ?
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by GPF »

only if you recompiled the code probably.

Otherwise how do you do it on the windows version? Check the dosbox website and forums for information on how you do it on the windows version for that game. Then duplicate the instructions for the dreamcast.
DARKGATE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKGATE »

:| excuse me boy but now i don't understand more nothing.

GPF i have put my keyboard in dreamcast, start the emu, but the keyboard don't work.
O_o don't think i can play, i have a dreamcast PAL and KEYBOARD PAL.
But you have tested in your dreamcast, ?!?

Hope of yes, today are 3 cd wich drop in the WC, now use chankast =\ first of made a cd.
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by GPF »

oops, yeah I guess the one I released doesn't work with a dc keyboard, I added hardcoded controller->keyboard mappings for Commander Keen, and I guess this broke the keyboard code. Ill have to fix that and release a new version later.

Troy(GPF)
Smiles
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Smiles »

The keyboard works fine for me. I have a standard controller in port 1 and the keyboard in port 2 and can use it just fine.
DARKGATE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKGATE »

:? smiles, to you work perfect?
O_O only to me don't work?
I put normal controller at port 1 and keyboard in port 2 but when start the emu, i can not use nothing.
O_o. Is strange, all the emu with keyboard work me perfect only this don't work.
:| boh, hope of see a fixed version, i can not use DOSBOXDC .
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

I just tried my favorite DOS game of all time: Stunts / 4D Sports Driving. And I was suprised that it even loaded. Great to see the game on the television running trough the Dreamcast. Without modifications, I could directly play the game with the controller! It was also nice to see how the game loaded with the autoload feature. It just felled like a console game (or port) without having nothing modified.

Unfortanly I could not a drive a track yet, because I think the game needs to write something to a file before start racing. Also the game run very slow, but I didn't try any optimizations yet.

Anyway a great port, GPF. Is there any room for futher speeds improvements with the emulator? Or is this the maxium the Dreamcast can handle. With wich PC speeds can we compare it with currently? I think about a 286 right now.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

Captain Skyhawk wrote:Unfortanly I could not a drive a track yet, because I think the game needs to write something to a file before start racing. Also the game run very slow, but I didn't try any optimizations yet.
Nice to know that Stunts may be possible on the DC. I used to love playing that game. Maybe if you mount the VMU like GPF suggested above it could work. I wonder if the VMU could be mounted as a hard drive as well as RAM?
Captain Skyhawk wrote:Anyway a great port, GPF. Is there any room for futher speeds improvements with the emulator? Or is this the maxium the Dreamcast can handle. With wich PC speeds can we compare it with currently? I think about a 286 right now.
For the most part on a top of the line PC, dosbox acts like a low-end 486. I think if we can get a 286 out of it for the dreamcast then that's pretty damn good! I'd be happy to play some old tandy games on this thing. :D
"and if your kids don't obey you, you can always beat them with a sack of Valencia oranges. They don't leaves bruises and your kids will always know who's boss."
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Syd wrote:Maybe if you mount the VMU like GPF suggested above it could work. I wonder if the VMU could be mounted as a hard drive as well as RAM?
Yeah, or using the ramdrive method mentioned by GPF. Gonna try that soon.
For the most part on a top of the line PC, dosbox acts like a low-end 486. I think if we can get a 286 out of it for the dreamcast then that's pretty damn good!
Indeed, I have seen Stunts run on a 286 with fairly good speed. :)
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters

Post by lackofsense »

one game that i would like to try provide i had some cdrs would be raptor: call of the shadows
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

lackofsense wrote:one game that i would like to try provide i had some cdrs would be raptor: call of the shadows
That's an amazing game, and would be great to try, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. That game runs slightly sluggish on Dosbox on my PC (a 1.8GHz AMD Athelon), so I'm not sure it would be very playable on the DC. :?
"and if your kids don't obey you, you can always beat them with a sack of Valencia oranges. They don't leaves bruises and your kids will always know who's boss."
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

GPF wrote:mount a /vmu/a1

should mount the vmu in controller port 1, I havent tried it and would recommend a spare vmu, just in case.
Can anyone confirm that this worked for them, and without frying a VMU?
If so, where exactly in config do you put the command? Just before the cd drive mount?
I just came across this and got excited to put Bard's Tale 1 on a cdr, but then I thought...wait, if I can't save BARD'S TALE, forget it. (Anyone who's played BT1 would understand the importance of saving often.)

Also, need someone to help with a 'menu'
Let's say I have Game A, Game B, and Game C folders on the CD-R. Each folder has respective GAME A.EXE, etc.. files. Is there a way to have dosboxdc load to a menu screen, and you hit a,b,x,y on controller, or a,b,c,d on keyboard to load that particular game with dosbox in a subroutine? If so, how would the autoexec look?? Thanks in advance!!
zman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by zman »

It would be great to see all three bard's tales on the dreamcast. If any one cares to figure this one out. Please post the results.
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

zman wrote:It would be great to see all three bard's tales on the dreamcast. If any one cares to figure this one out. Please post the results.
I second that!!!!
I just wonder if "Devil Whiskey" would run on DosBoxDC?
It's deved by coders who were BT fanatics, and it's just excellent. It stays true to BT gameplay, but with modern graphics, and loads more classes, races, etc.
Check out the demo:
http://www.devilwhiskey.com/goods.html
Last edited by TechnoWolf on Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

According to people who've used this it's not really worth (in my opinion) playing. It's slow and doesn't really have any sound. Don't get me wrong though, it's very cool.
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

Hmm, That's a shame. A fully working (at least 80-90% speed & sound) would be a big deal. Thanks for saving me a cdr. :(
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 »

yeah basicly mid to late 80s games where only playable, early 90s games ran but very slowly

compatibility list
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showth ... ght=dosbox