NesterDC SE - Hard Release Date

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

NesterDC SE - Hard Release Date

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Check the NesterDC SE website

If you're using Mozilla you should see a fairly cool pulsing effect on the page. You IE guys are SOL. Your browser sucks because it doesn't do CSS background positioning the right way.

But, anyways, yeah... That's the date. No backing out of this one. It's really close right now. I've even had one person do some testing already.
Dutchdude
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dutchdude »

Nice one Scherzo. Finally something to look forward to 8-) I hope the Pal timing thingy worked out well.....anyway fantastic news ! :)
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Dutchdude wrote:Nice one Scherzo. Finally something to look forward to 8-) I hope the Pal timing thingy worked out well.....anyway fantastic news ! :)
PAL timing is a real tough problem for an NTSC Dreamcast. You've gotta display 50 frames within 60 frames. And they've gotta be as evenly distributed as possible. No matter what though, the outcome is choppy. Also, the music plays too fast and I haven't been able to fix that.

I have made a correction so that at least the game action is "correct" speed. But, like I said, it's choppy. Of course, If you have a PAL Dreamcast everything will work just fine for PAL games, but then NTSC games will be choppy in a different way. Instead of spreading less NES frames (50) over more DC frames (60), the opposite has to occur. 10 frames need to be skipped every second to have correct speed for NTSC roms on a PAL DC, not to mention the sound probably being too slow.

Solution is... If you've got a PAL DC, just put PAL roms on it and you'll be all good. There's really no perfect solution for region crossovers.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Page seems fine under Opera too.

So what is this update supposed to be all about exactly? Aside of the PAL NTSC issue that is?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Check this page to get an idea of what new features to expect in NesterDC SE:

http://www.sch3rz0.com/nesterdcse/wip_features.php

Besides lots of bells and whistles, SE fixes compatiblity issues in 7.1b. It also sports true fullspeed for 99.9% of games, and stereo separation of NES sound channels. Of course there's a lot more. Check around the NesterDC SE status topics here and you'll get feel for what this new version is all about.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Page works fine in Safari :kiss)

nice work Scherzo.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

XDelusion, you've been away for a long time, eh ? :o

There are bilions of topics discussing the new features. You could also download this CDI and watch the included DivX video of an early version:
http://www.dcevolution.net/goto.php?id=65

EDIT: Didn't notice Scherzo's reply :oops:

---

Scherzo, regarding the PAL timing: PAL DC's do have a 60Hz mode, it's just that some very very old or old & cheap TVs do not support 60Hz. My TV is from the 80s and it supports 60Hz :wink:
Insane homebrew collector.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

Woohoo!

And all those people who said it would never get released. :roll:
Dutchdude
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Dutchdude »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:
Dutchdude wrote:Nice one Scherzo. Finally something to look forward to 8-) I hope the Pal timing thingy worked out well.....anyway fantastic news ! :)
PAL timing is a real tough problem for an NTSC Dreamcast. You've gotta display 50 frames within 60 frames. And they've gotta be as evenly distributed as possible. No matter what though, the outcome is choppy. Also, the music plays too fast and I haven't been able to fix that.

I have made a correction so that at least the game action is "correct" speed. But, like I said, it's choppy. Of course, If you have a PAL Dreamcast everything will work just fine for PAL games, but then NTSC games will be choppy in a different way. Instead of spreading less NES frames (50) over more DC frames (60), the opposite has to occur. 10 frames need to be skipped every second to have correct speed for NTSC roms on a PAL DC, not to mention the sound probably being too slow.

Solution is... If you've got a PAL DC, just put PAL roms on it and you'll be all good. There's really no perfect solution for region crossovers.
Yes I do have a Pal DC and will use (mainly)Pal roms so there shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for the quick response man....you're the best! :)
Smiles
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Smiles »

What sort of display modes/options have you implemented for use with the VGA box?

I'm suprised you didn't submit this in the Dream On Contest.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Smiles wrote:What sort of display modes/options have you implemented for use with the VGA box?

I'm suprised you didn't submit this in the Dream On Contest.
I test with a VGA box. It works at 640x480.

As for Dream On, I was seriously considering to enter this as a private release. But in order to have entered, I needed to get approval from one of the former Nester or NesterDC authors. No matter who I write to I never get a response. So it didn't look like I was able to do it.

In fact, it's the Dream On contest that sparked me to do some key development in a hurry and made the public release more of a short term reality. So basically the possibility of entering got me off my ass.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Yay, your laxy ass did some work. :P

Works in Konqueror and regular Mozilla.
Clean your room, take out the trash, and scoop your kitty-litter box. HEHE
I dont have a kitty-liter box, but will it take the box I use for trash out?

Looks good, I really do hope it turns out to what you thought it would be and that adding one feature wont f up the whole thing. Nice work.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

This is great news Scherzo, I'll spread the word on other forums, it never hurts to let others know that don't frequent dcemulation.

I'm really looking forward to the release date!! :D

About the 50/60 hz issue, how will PAL DC's handle NTSC games if your tv can support 60Hz? Most PAL tv's can handle 60Hz nowadays, I've only seen one that didn't. My own tv is almost 8 years old and can handle it all easily.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Smiles
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Smiles »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:I test with a VGA box. It works at 640x480.
Does it stretch the image to take up the entire 640x480 or is it displayed as a 512x448 image centered inside the 640x480 screen (preferably).
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Smiles wrote:
Does it stretch the image to take up the entire 640x480 or is it displayed as a 512x448 image centered inside the 640x480 screen (preferably).
You have the option of both. :)
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters

Post by lackofsense »

awesomeness of the highest order
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:
Smiles wrote:
You have the option of both. :)
Is there the option to have the same thing but on a 320x240 screen?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

One word.

Sweet. :D
*The Cadillac of signatures*
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Nice going scherzo, your releasing it on my and my girlfriends 7 year anniversary. How do I get out of somehting like that to test your release? Of all the days........
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

Awesome job man! :D

What games do you know of that don't run full speed/have compatibility issues? And if you can get all of that "not started" stuff done in under a month then I'll hail you as my new god. :wink:
"and if your kids don't obey you, you can always beat them with a sack of Valencia oranges. They don't leaves bruises and your kids will always know who's boss."