NesterDC SE - Hard Release Date

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Post Reply
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
Posts: 2285
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:37 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

NesterDC SE - Hard Release Date

Post by Strapping Scherzo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:05 am

Check the NesterDC SE website

If you're using Mozilla you should see a fairly cool pulsing effect on the page. You IE guys are SOL. Your browser sucks because it doesn't do CSS background positioning the right way.

But, anyways, yeah... That's the date. No backing out of this one. It's really close right now. I've even had one person do some testing already.
Image
User avatar
Dutchdude
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:13 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Dutchdude » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:13 am

Nice one Scherzo. Finally something to look forward to 8-) I hope the Pal timing thingy worked out well.....anyway fantastic news ! :)
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
Posts: 2285
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:37 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Strapping Scherzo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:27 am

Dutchdude wrote:Nice one Scherzo. Finally something to look forward to 8-) I hope the Pal timing thingy worked out well.....anyway fantastic news ! :)
PAL timing is a real tough problem for an NTSC Dreamcast. You've gotta display 50 frames within 60 frames. And they've gotta be as evenly distributed as possible. No matter what though, the outcome is choppy. Also, the music plays too fast and I haven't been able to fix that.

I have made a correction so that at least the game action is "correct" speed. But, like I said, it's choppy. Of course, If you have a PAL Dreamcast everything will work just fine for PAL games, but then NTSC games will be choppy in a different way. Instead of spreading less NES frames (50) over more DC frames (60), the opposite has to occur. 10 frames need to be skipped every second to have correct speed for NTSC roms on a PAL DC, not to mention the sound probably being too slow.

Solution is... If you've got a PAL DC, just put PAL roms on it and you'll be all good. There's really no perfect solution for region crossovers.
Image
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD
Posts: 915
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:44 pm
Location: Ohio
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by XDelusion » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:07 am

Page seems fine under Opera too.

So what is this update supposed to be all about exactly? Aside of the PAL NTSC issue that is?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
Posts: 2285
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:37 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Strapping Scherzo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:18 am

Check this page to get an idea of what new features to expect in NesterDC SE:

http://www.sch3rz0.com/nesterdcse/wip_features.php

Besides lots of bells and whistles, SE fixes compatiblity issues in 7.1b. It also sports true fullspeed for 99.9% of games, and stereo separation of NES sound channels. Of course there's a lot more. Check around the NesterDC SE status topics here and you'll get feel for what this new version is all about.
Image
User avatar
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....
Posts: 3429
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:44 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Matisfaction » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:27 am

Page works fine in Safari :kiss)

nice work Scherzo.
User avatar
Christuserloeser
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5936
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:16 am
Location: DCEvolution.net
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Christuserloeser » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:31 am

XDelusion, you've been away for a long time, eh ? :o

There are bilions of topics discussing the new features. You could also download this CDI and watch the included DivX video of an early version:
http://www.dcevolution.net/goto.php?id=65

EDIT: Didn't notice Scherzo's reply :oops:

---

Scherzo, regarding the PAL timing: PAL DC's do have a 60Hz mode, it's just that some very very old or old & cheap TVs do not support 60Hz. My TV is from the 80s and it supports 60Hz :wink:
Insane homebrew collector.
User avatar
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:16 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by TyBO » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:27 pm

Woohoo!

And all those people who said it would never get released. :roll:
User avatar
Dutchdude
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:13 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Dutchdude » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:36 pm

Strapping Scherzo wrote:
Dutchdude wrote:Nice one Scherzo. Finally something to look forward to 8-) I hope the Pal timing thingy worked out well.....anyway fantastic news ! :)
PAL timing is a real tough problem for an NTSC Dreamcast. You've gotta display 50 frames within 60 frames. And they've gotta be as evenly distributed as possible. No matter what though, the outcome is choppy. Also, the music plays too fast and I haven't been able to fix that.

I have made a correction so that at least the game action is "correct" speed. But, like I said, it's choppy. Of course, If you have a PAL Dreamcast everything will work just fine for PAL games, but then NTSC games will be choppy in a different way. Instead of spreading less NES frames (50) over more DC frames (60), the opposite has to occur. 10 frames need to be skipped every second to have correct speed for NTSC roms on a PAL DC, not to mention the sound probably being too slow.

Solution is... If you've got a PAL DC, just put PAL roms on it and you'll be all good. There's really no perfect solution for region crossovers.
Yes I do have a Pal DC and will use (mainly)Pal roms so there shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks for the quick response man....you're the best! :)
Smiles
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:14 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Smiles » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:47 pm

What sort of display modes/options have you implemented for use with the VGA box?

I'm suprised you didn't submit this in the Dream On Contest.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
Posts: 2285
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:37 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Strapping Scherzo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:00 pm

Smiles wrote:What sort of display modes/options have you implemented for use with the VGA box?

I'm suprised you didn't submit this in the Dream On Contest.
I test with a VGA box. It works at 640x480.

As for Dream On, I was seriously considering to enter this as a private release. But in order to have entered, I needed to get approval from one of the former Nester or NesterDC authors. No matter who I write to I never get a response. So it didn't look like I was able to do it.

In fact, it's the Dream On contest that sparked me to do some key development in a hurry and made the public release more of a short term reality. So basically the possibility of entering got me off my ass.
Image
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight
Posts: 3652
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:26 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Sir Savant » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:27 pm

Yay, your laxy ass did some work. :P

Works in Konqueror and regular Mozilla.
Clean your room, take out the trash, and scoop your kitty-litter box. HEHE
I dont have a kitty-liter box, but will it take the box I use for trash out?

Looks good, I really do hope it turns out to what you thought it would be and that adding one feature wont f up the whole thing. Nice work.
User avatar
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Posts: 674
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:11 am
Location: The Netherlands
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Cid Highwind » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:46 pm

This is great news Scherzo, I'll spread the word on other forums, it never hurts to let others know that don't frequent dcemulation.

I'm really looking forward to the release date!! :D

About the 50/60 hz issue, how will PAL DC's handle NTSC games if your tv can support 60Hz? Most PAL tv's can handle 60Hz nowadays, I've only seen one that didn't. My own tv is almost 8 years old and can handle it all easily.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Smiles
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:14 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Smiles » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:58 pm

Strapping Scherzo wrote:I test with a VGA box. It works at 640x480.
Does it stretch the image to take up the entire 640x480 or is it displayed as a 512x448 image centered inside the 640x480 screen (preferably).
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
Posts: 2285
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:37 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Strapping Scherzo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:59 pm

Smiles wrote:
Strapping Scherzo wrote:I test with a VGA box. It works at 640x480.
Does it stretch the image to take up the entire 640x480 or is it displayed as a 512x448 image centered inside the 640x480 screen (preferably).
You have the option of both. :)
Image
User avatar
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:50 pm
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by lackofsense » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:16 pm

awesomeness of the highest order
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
User avatar
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
Posts: 7488
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:14 am
Location: Miami, FL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times
Contact:

Post by Quzar » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:25 pm

Strapping Scherzo wrote:
Smiles wrote:
Strapping Scherzo wrote:I test with a VGA box. It works at 640x480.
Does it stretch the image to take up the entire 640x480 or is it displayed as a 512x448 image centered inside the 640x480 screen (preferably).
You have the option of both. :)
Is there the option to have the same thing but on a 320x240 screen?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
User avatar
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Posts: 3820
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:44 pm
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Nico0020 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:44 pm

One word.

Sweet. :D
*The Cadillac of signatures*
User avatar
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
Posts: 2601
Joined: Sat May 11, 2002 5:21 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by arrowhead » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:37 pm

Nice going scherzo, your releasing it on my and my girlfriends 7 year anniversary. How do I get out of somehting like that to test your release? Of all the days........
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
User avatar
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue May 04, 2004 7:45 pm
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Syd » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:40 pm

Awesome job man! :D

What games do you know of that don't run full speed/have compatibility issues? And if you can get all of that "not started" stuff done in under a month then I'll hail you as my new god. :wink:
"and if your kids don't obey you, you can always beat them with a sack of Valencia oranges. They don't leaves bruises and your kids will always know who's boss."
Post Reply