Dream Inducer source

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dream Inducer source

Post by LyingWake »

I was looking through some old backup files on Consolevision and came across the Dream Inducer source that was thought once lost. I'm not exactly sure if this is the current version's source, since this source is marked as "1.1", and from the files I've seen there's a 1.1.4. It's possible that it IS the current version but I am not positive.

Anyway DCGrendel didn't mind if it was open for public consumption, so if you're interested in checking it out download inducer-1.1.tgz.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

LyingWake: if it isn't the current version it doesn't matter, we've been trying to get hold of the source for ages, many thanks for the find and the link.
Across the Universe
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

W00t! This means it might be updated!
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Fantastic find! Thanks a thousand times! :D
Insane homebrew collector.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Sweet in so many ways. now that bug can be fixed where if you hit 'start' at the inducer screen, it would just go black and freeze up.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

I.M. Weasel wrote:Sweet in so many ways. now that bug can be fixed where if you hit 'start' at the inducer screen, it would just go black and freeze up.
From what I understand, that was a debugging tool for use with DC-Tool.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

interesting. but regardless, this is a huge find. i am very excited.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

I.M. Weasel wrote:Sweet in so many ways. now that bug can be fixed where if you hit 'start' at the inducer screen, it would just go black and freeze up.
Yeah. LyingWake is correct. That's not a bug. Every coder in the scene gets all upset when people complain about that, because it's actually the only way to exit DreamInducer when you're using a coder's cable, apparently. :D

This is incredible news. I hope something can be done with it.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Has anyone tried compiling this code? I wonder if this fix I have will remove the start button nusence.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

fackue wrote:Has anyone tried compiling this code? I wonder if this fix I have will remove the start button nusence.
Perhaps there could be a coders cable-only version?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

I just took a look at it. What we don't have in this archive is libdcdivx, so we'd need to fill that gap. That part shouldn't be too hard for somebody who knows what he's doing--I imagine it's just DCDivX without the menu, and at any rate, we could make it be that if we want. I have the source to DCDivX beta 3 and 4 on a hard drive someplace, and it should still be available for download (I don't know if the one on Mark Dukette's website is the latest version or not). The binload.bin stuff might need to be rewritten. Some of the code needs to be rewritten to use the newer KOS API (from what I can see, mainly the old TA stuff) and DCDivX would also need to be rewritten to do the same, and I believe it also uses the old KOS sound system, so that would need some fixing too.

So... it should be doable, at least to get rid of the Dreaded Start Button Issue, but it'll take a bit of work unless somebody feels like getting set up with an old version of KOS.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

OneThirty8 wrote:I just took a look at it. What we don't have in this archive is libdcdivx, so we'd need to fill that gap. That part shouldn't be too hard for somebody who knows what he's doing--I imagine it's just DCDivX without the menu, and at any rate, we could make it be that if we want. I have the source to DCDivX beta 3 and 4 on a hard drive someplace, and it should still be available for download (I don't know if the one on Mark Dukette's website is the latest version or not). The binload.bin stuff might need to be rewritten. Some of the code needs to be rewritten to use the newer KOS API (from what I can see, mainly the old TA stuff) and DCDivX would also need to be rewritten to do the same, and I believe it also uses the old KOS sound system, so that would need some fixing too.

So... it should be doable, at least to get rid of the Dreaded Start Button Issue, but it'll take a bit of work unless somebody feels like getting set up with an old version of KOS.
I'm sure somebody here can fix it. :D
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Was there ever source released for uDCDivx? If so, then, if someone's going to work on updating DreamInducer anyway, they might as well build in uDCDivX instead of DCDivX.
DreamZone Forums

OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

curt_grymala wrote:Was there ever source released for uDCDivx? If so, then, if someone's going to work on updating DreamInducer anyway, they might as well build in uDCDivX instead of DCDivX.
I don't think it ever was. I've searched for it. I hope I'm wrong, as DCDivX was released under the GPL.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

OneThirty8 wrote:
curt_grymala wrote:Was there ever source released for uDCDivx? If so, then, if someone's going to work on updating DreamInducer anyway, they might as well build in uDCDivX instead of DCDivX.
I don't think it ever was. I've searched for it. I hope I'm wrong, as DCDivX was released under the GPL.
That's what I thought, which means that Mekanizer has to release the source for uDCDivX at some point, right?
DreamZone Forums

OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

curt_grymala wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:
That's what I thought, which means that Mekanizer has to release the source for uDCDivX at some point, right?
Technically, yes. But whatever, I guess. If I decide to take it on (I'll have to see how much work it's really going to be--probably not too bad, I hope) I'll just use DCDivX beta 4. Something tells me it might be worth it for me to take on the project, but I also need to be working on a few stories this summer, so we'll see. I tend to get to stuff eventually. My two most recent projects, which haven't officially seen the light of day, have been fermenting for over a year.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

Hey, this is great. The exit feature should be remapped to L+R+Start or ABXY+Start and plain Start should do the same as the A button. That would make Dream Inducer quite a bit more inuitive and friendly. The other thing I'd really like to see is sound effects and possibly background music (S3M should be easy if not MP3). Maybe some of DI's pickiness about illegal font characters could be fixed up, too, as that has caused me some problems in the past. Make it so that it just displays any unknown character as a space or something.

What version of KOS is this built with?

Has the DreamHakker source ever surfaced, by the way? I asked for it a couple years ago and someone said they had it but didn't want to release it without DCGrendel's okay, but of course nobody could find him.

...word is bondage...
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Sweater Fish wrote:Has the DreamHakker source ever surfaced, by the way? I asked for it a couple years ago and someone said they had it but didn't want to release it without DCGrendel's okay, but of course nobody could find him.
Weird. If I knew about this it wouldn't have been a big deal to get a hold of him. Grendel's on #consolevision on Xelium quite a bit.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Sweater Fish wrote:Hey, this is great. The exit feature should be remapped to L+R+Start or ABXY+Start and plain Start should do the same as the A button. That would make Dream Inducer quite a bit more inuitive and friendly. The other thing I'd really like to see is sound effects and possibly background music (S3M should be easy if not MP3). Maybe some of DI's pickiness about illegal font characters could be fixed up, too, as that has caused me some problems in the past. Make it so that it just displays any unknown character as a space or something.

What version of KOS is this built with?

Has the DreamHakker source ever surfaced, by the way? I asked for it a couple years ago and someone said they had it but didn't want to release it without DCGrendel's okay, but of course nobody could find him.

...word is bondage...
Not sure what version of KOS it was built with, but I think I'm going to try to get it working with KOS 1.3.x. I don't think it'll be too much of a headache as long as I can update DCDivX to the same version of KOS I'll use for DI. Your suggestion for the Start button is pretty much what I was thinking. Whenever I pressed Start, I meant to press A, so that makes the most sense. Some of your other suggestions are things I've considered as well. MP3 or OGG background music shouldn't be too hard.
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SiZiOUS »

OneThirty8 wrote:Not sure what version of KOS it was built with,
KOS 1.1.6.

Btw, this source retrieval is a great news.