Release of 1st platform engine demo

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
iggydrake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Release of 1st platform engine demo

Post by iggydrake »

Well, here it is....
I've been learning as much as I can on DC to make games for it, and after about a week or 2, I'm ready to show a demo.

I'm not used to dc very well, cuz it's so much harder than PC development, which I've been doin' for about 18 years. (I started on a CoCo 3 and C64 ^^!) But I tried my best.

I still have problems....the text window as you will see in screenshot is screwed because I 1) can't get an equiv to allegro's rest() function (usleep doesnt work, freezes game) so the text scrolling will happen instantly,
and i simply CANNOT find a way to space the letters correctly, as I cant
get the size of each letter written as I do on PC. if anyone knows how I can fix this, please help me if you would.
The music is only a short piece, mainly cuz I make my own songs on guitar and other instruments recorded into cpu, and I didnt have time right now.
Also, the gfx could have been much better; it's hard to hand draw chars
for such low resolution (I'm used to 1024x768) and the tiles were a quick job---aaa! sorry, i'm critisizing myself @___@ not my best, but they look nice, really.

also note this is a very early release. the char, Skippy, cannot attack
and stuff yet, and I was gonna add another of my chars, a japanese girl
named Natsu, but didnt have time to finish her ether. I am thinking of makin' this into an engine everyone can use sometime.

anyway, onto screenshots! Downloads are below.

the text prob.....><
Multi layers, with alpha tiles adds an interesting effect, dun ya think?
even the snow falls very smoothly (weather fx)

these pics don't do it much justice, so give it a try!
there are 2 Downloads:

DC Version (I assume it's known how to make this boot on dc of course)
http://fluffypuppystudios.com/malrourke ... emo_dc.rar

EMU version (runs on chankast)
http://fluffypuppystudios.com/malrourke ... mo_emu.rar

please note, this game may not run perfectly on chankast. seems
sluggish to me sometimes. on DC tho it's perfectly smooth.

Well, that's all. Let me know how it works and what y'all think of it.
(please be a lil' easy on me..... for all these years I have never shown anyone in gamedev communities my work cuz I was too self-conscious....i know it's silly, but.....still.....)

That's all for now!
~Mal

if i told you that the next thing I say will be true, but that the last thing I said was a lie, would you believe me?
skar
how powerful i am!

Post by skar »

those screenshots look amazing :-)
JS Lemming
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JS Lemming »

Hey! Looks great! I'll give it a shot when I get home.

One thing though.... dogs who dress like humans and try to be cool scare me....
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

amazing game. This looks like it could be graphically on par with the Alice Homebew.
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Nice! Will try it soon...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Awesome ! Looks fantastic !

Will this be a moddable engine to add your own scenarios and characters ? If so will there be a 324x240 mode ?
Insane homebrew collector.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

Christ- he already addressed your question here
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=72031
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

Whoah, who does your graphics? Niceness.
D-Roc
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by D-Roc »

Wow! Looks Awesome Iggydrake! I'm gonna have to try this one out..
Born to lose. Live to Win.
JS Lemming
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JS Lemming »

I just tried it. Very nice work. I liked the music and graphics!

Random sugestions:
- Make the snow so that it doesn't follow the person (like make it scroll with the map)
- Maybe make the snow 2 different layers with the furthest one falling slower than the closest one. With the furthest one also scrolling slower left and right than the closest one. Like the paralaxing background you have. Would give the effect of better depth possibly.
- Maybe give the chars in the text box a black outline so it's easily read with the snow behind.

Keep up teh koo-ness.
Last edited by JS Lemming on Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iggydrake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by iggydrake »

JS Lemming wrote:Oh Pooter. I tried to un rar the rar and got this here error yo.
Your Mama/WinRAR - skippydemo_dc.rar wrote:! C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\skippydemo_dc.rar: CRC failed in 1ST_READ.BIN. The file is corrupt
! C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\skippydemo_dc.rar: Unexpected end of archive
What up wit'dat?
Dang! I tried em myself, and they're workin'

hmm.....I'll try reuploadin' em as a zip file

http://fluffypuppystudios.com/malrourke/skipdemo_dc.zip

and....Skippy? scary? LOL He is kinda, cuz in the stories he appears in he's kinda wierd. but he's allways been one of my favs so now he gets his own game! Muhahah! He's one of 4 of his kind that were created in a way it would take a lot to explain. fortunately the other 3 aint as wierd as he is. lol but thay wont be in this game. all my dozens of characters will appear in a puzzle game i'm also makin' As as for Natsu, I always believe she was the one with the sense.....
her sister, Mikado takes the cake on ALL of them LOL XD I should post a pic of Mika wit' the ramen noodles. disturrrrbing! heheheh

anywho, I hope this will work. I'll upload a zip of the other as well if anyone needs it. if that dun work, i'll just redo the bin files over again.
~Mal

if i told you that the next thing I say will be true, but that the last thing I said was a lie, would you believe me?
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters

Post by lackofsense »

i am beginning to doubt your sanity
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
iggydrake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by iggydrake »

lackofsense wrote:i am beginning to doubt your sanity
...eh...? =/
~Mal

JS Lemming
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JS Lemming »

Sorry about that. My connection caused the corruption and downloading again fixed it. I went ahead and edited my post about that corruption thingy cause I thought no one had seen it yet. Sorry. The rar does work.
iggydrake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by iggydrake »

JS Lemming wrote:I just tried it. Very nice work. I liked the music and graphics!

Random sugestions:
- Make the snow so that it doesn't follow the person (like make it scroll with the map)
- Maybe make the snow 2 different layers with the furthest one falling slower than the closest one. With the furthest one also scrolling slower left and right than the closest one. Like the paralaxing background you have. Would give the effect of better depth possibly.
- Maybe give the chars in the text box a black outline so it's easily read with the snow behind.

Keep up teh koo-ness.
yah thats what I was going to do, but I was afraid using too many layers would make it go slow......am I underestimating the pvr again?

*EDIT* and i forgot to say, I havent even finished sprucing it all up and adding stuff. it's just as basic as I'd like it for now*

the text box will never work. I used to add a shadow effect on the PC but I gave up on it here because I cant seem to get any help wit' better ways of doing text....I want it to scroll from left to right like it does in my PC games and many rpgs, but I need the char width of each char i'm drawing or it'll appear all messed up as it does. :(
Last edited by iggydrake on Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Mal

iggydrake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by iggydrake »

GyroVorbis wrote:Whoah, who does your graphics? Niceness.
Myself, and my best friend Dylan do the graphics ourselves.

I'm not as good as he is, but he is teaching me gfx and hand drawn techs so
I can get better. I'm glad everyone likes it! I thank everyone for the encouragement. ^^
~Mal

iggydrake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by iggydrake »

JS Lemming wrote:Sorry about that. My connection caused the corruption and downloading again fixed it. I went ahead and edited my post about that corruption thingy cause I thought no one had seen it yet. Sorry. The rar does work.

ahh, okies. that's ok. ^^
~Mal

JS Lemming
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JS Lemming »

iggydrake wrote:yah thats what I was going to do, but I was afraid using too many layers would make it go slow......am I underestimating the pvr again?
I felt the same way about worrying if speed would be an issue with the PVR.... Boy was I wrong. That baby can crank out some poly's.
iggydrake wrote:the text box will never work. I used to add a shadow effect on the PC but I gave up on it here because I cant seem to get any help wit' better ways of doing text....I want it to scroll from left to right like it does in my PC games and many rpgs, but I need the char width of each char i'm drawing or it'll appear all messed up as it does. :(
I don't understand. Why don't you just make a file that contains the width of each char and make calculations based off that? Matter'o'fact, I think there is a program that does that for you. But the name slips me at the moment.
iggydrake
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by iggydrake »

JS Lemming wrote:
iggydrake wrote:yah thats what I was going to do, but I was afraid using too many layers would make it go slow......am I underestimating the pvr again?
I felt the same way about worrying if speed would be an issue with the PVR.... Boy was I wrong. That baby can crank out some poly's.
iggydrake wrote:the text box will never work. I used to add a shadow effect on the PC but I gave up on it here because I cant seem to get any help wit' better ways of doing text....I want it to scroll from left to right like it does in my PC games and many rpgs, but I need the char width of each char i'm drawing or it'll appear all messed up as it does. :(
I don't understand. Why don't you just make a file that contains the width of each char and make calculations based off that? Matter'o'fact, I think there is a program that does that for you. But the name slips me at the moment.
Man! In that case, I'll do ALL of those effects! XD I did that before wit' rain from a castlevania clone I made. Ok im gonna push PVR ta it's limits! XD

Oh yah! I thought of that! Yes! I shall try that! but the other txf fonts still dont draw...and that font is ugly. XD
can I really use this site: http://celestia.teyssier.org/ttf2txf/index.html
ta make thr txf's? it was all I could find, but so far the ones made from there dont draw.

and lastly.....
<---------Mika and the Ramen! XD Was perfect for an avatar! Hahahahah!
~Mal

JS Lemming
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JS Lemming »

I really don't know how a txf works or ever used one. I'd just make a function that draws the characters from a png. Easy as one two corn.