VMZip v1.0.0 Released

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
bucanero
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

VMZip v1.0.0 Released

Post by bucanero »

Based on RockinB's idea, I've created this new Dreamcast tool called VMZip.

The idea behind VMZip is simple but powerful: compress & decompress VMU save files using BZip2 compression, and save the result file on a target VMU.

For example: you have a Quake 3 Arena save that takes 25 blocks, but you don't want to erase it to have free blocks for another game save. You can use VMZip to compress the Q3A file, and the result will be a 3 blocks file. Now you've 22 free blocks, provided that you erase the original Q3A save and keep the compressed file.

Take a look at the screenshots here.

Dowload VMZip v1.0.0 unscrambled binary (.BIN), selfboot inducer (.SBI) and source code from my site or SourceForge.net

Controls: (A) selects, (B) cancel, (X) calculate compressed/decompressed file size, (Y) credits

post your comments!
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I had to think about it a while, but this is pretty cool. The zipped save is not usuable, but it's not lost either. Nice for people who don't have a lot of VMUs or don't have a means of backing up saves to their PC.
bucanero
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by bucanero »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:I had to think about it a while, but this is pretty cool. The zipped save is not usuable, but it's not lost either. Nice for people who don't have a lot of VMUs or don't have a means of backing up saves to their PC.
Yes, that's the exact idea behind it: the save isn't lost, and will be usable when you need it after you decompress it.

Of course, for those with serial cable, BBA or Nexus card there's no need to use this tool. But for those who have a few VMU's and don't want to erase files to make room for new saves, this app will be useful.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Been thanked: 0

Post by LyingWake »

Definately a cool idea. Now why commercial games didn't do this in the first place is beyond me.
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SiZiOUS »

YOU ROCKS.

Nice idea. I'll post this news on DC-France.

Thanks bucanero. :)
bucanero
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by bucanero »

Now why commercial games didn't do this in the first place is beyond me.
Yeah, I don't know why so many games save raw data, wasting a lot of blocks... they could have implemented data compression for sure... maybe it was a marketing idea to sell more VMU's... :roll:
YOU ROCKS.
Nice idea. I'll post this news on DC-France.
Thanks bucanero.
Heheh cool! :D It's nice to see comments about my work in fran?ais! ;)
btw, thanks a lot for SBIBuilder & the IP.bin creator. Really nice tools, they saved me a lot of time! :)
Pale Rider
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Pale Rider »

this is very useful for saving a TON of DP/PW html vmu saves to vmu.you can backup an entire websites html to the vmu with this sweet ass tool and still have a ton of blocks left over.

i love this tool.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

After they're compressed, do they still show up on the BIOS VMU menu?
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Bucanero, usted esta loco!! Tremenda idea hecha realidad! Yo tengo nexus, pero casi no la puedo usar, porque el XP SP2 no es compatible con el software que trae la tarjeta... pero con VMZip ya resolvere todos estos problemas!!!!

Muchisimas gracias!!!!!
bucanero
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by bucanero »

LyingWake wrote:After they're compressed, do they still show up on the BIOS VMU menu?
Yes, the saves will be shown fine in the DC bios menu. You'll see a "Zip" icon in the bios menu for the compressed save.

The format of any VMZIPDAT.??? file is a standard dreamcast header (title, description, icon, etc = 640 bytes) followed by the bzipped data.
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SiZiOUS »

Heheh cool! Very Happy It's nice to see comments about my work in fran?ais! Wink
btw, thanks a lot for SBIBuilder & the IP.bin creator. Really nice tools, they saved me a lot of time!
Thanks ;)
Btw, I posted this nice news on Metagames too :)

Cya :)
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

bucanero wrote:
LyingWake wrote:After they're compressed, do they still show up on the BIOS VMU menu?
Yes, the saves will be shown fine in the DC bios menu. You'll see a "Zip" icon in the bios menu for the compressed save.

The format of any VMZIPDAT.??? file is a standard dreamcast header (title, description, icon, etc = 640 bytes) followed by the bzipped data.
Cool idea. I definately gotta try this thing out.
zyloj
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by zyloj »

Thank you very much for your work Bucanero. It's fantastic. I've posted this news at several Spanish DC webs.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

very nice. i cant tell you how many times ive reformatted my vmu just to have space for other games. this will DEFINITELY be a big help.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Con lo que cuesta conseguir una VMU por estos lados, esto viene impecable! Gracias flaco! :kiss)
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Bucanero, the tool is fantastic!!!
I tested it with just a couple of games and its amazig, nevertheless, is seems that some of the developers used some kind of compression on the saves already, here are just a couple of results i got (just for general info)

Code: Select all

name                         original save                      compressed
- hydro thunder                         8                                      4
- TXR2                                    40                                      8 
- sonic adv. 2                          18                                      20 
- magnetic neo                        3                                         3
- TXR1                                   15                                        5 
- soulcalibur                            12                                       10
- virtua tennis                          2                                         3 
i havent trid shenmue yet, but i'll be happy to get rid of the 80 blocks save.

Bucanero es el barbaro!!!

sorry for the ugly chart!!!
bucanero
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by bucanero »

I did some compression "benchmarks" too and I've found that the best compression ratio is usually found in save files with more than 20 blocks of data.

Most of the smaller files (2 , 3, 5 blocks for ex) can't get any better and probably you'll get a bigger file.

I also found with some saves like Sonic Adv. 2, that Sonic Team probably already used compression and that's why you get a bigger file.

My suggestion, press "X" over a save and you'll get the estimated compressed size without having to save the VMZipped file. If you like the compression ratio, then you can press "A" and save it to the vmu you want.

btw, if other users have tested VMZip, please post your compression ratios so we can build a list of "best saves" to compress.
bucanero
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by bucanero »

Bucanero, usted esta loco!! Tremenda idea hecha realidad!
Jajajaja no estoy tan loco, solo lo suficiente para dedicarle un buen tiempo para programar a mi querida Dreamcast! :mrgreen:
Thank you very much for your work Bucanero. It's fantastic. I've posted this news at several Spanish DC webs.
Thanks for spreading the news! There's a big DC fanbase in Spain! :)
Con lo que cuesta conseguir una VMU por estos lados, esto viene impecable! Gracias flaco!
Aqui en Argentina no es tan dificil conseguir memory cards para Dreamcast, creo que es uno de los pocos paises donde todavia se pueden conseguir muchos accesorios para la DC y muy baratos. Lo unico que no pude conseguir en Argentina y tuve que comprar por eBay en USA fue el broadband adapter y el mouse para jugar al Quake 3. :mrgreen:
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Sorry I had to make a better list.

Code: Select all

Name        Original Save    Compressed
Hydro Thunder       8                4
TXR1                15               5 
TXR2                40               8 
Sonic Adv. 2        18               20 
Magnetic Neo        3                3
Soulcalibur         12               10
Virtua Tennis       2                3
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

anyone test MSR yet? cuz i know that is a big space hog.