Coders: DCS need your support // concerning Games Convention

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Coders: DCS need your support // concerning Games Convention

Post by Freeze » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:53 am

Hey guys,

after 2003 we (Dreamcast-Scene) will present the DC scene again at the Games Convention (http://www.gc-germany.de) on our own, official booth (which is in the same hall as the Sega booth!).

The Games Convention became the world's thrid largest and important videogame convention after the E3 in Los Angeles and the Tokyo Game Show. Not only Sega will be in the same hall, Yuji Naka (CEO of the Sonic Team) will attend to the Games Convention as well (see http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... 8#YujiNaka).

To get to the point: We need your support and sadly very quick. We need exclusive games, mods, applications, which aren't released yet or still in production to present. We leave our hometown on this Friday evening, so we need to hurry. I'm sorry that it comes that all of sudden, but the confirmation for the booth came very very late.

Hope you can help us out.

Cheers,
-Max
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:32 pm

Holy crap. I'll be the one to reply. I wish to god that I could help. Null isn't anywhere near completion (it's more like running through a NES MegaMan level, atm). Viva La Samba would be something that I'd do anything to have somebody like Yuji Naka see, but it couldn't ever be ready in time.

I wish there was more that I could do to help. I'm bogged down with mounds of AP class homework, and I've only been getting around to devving on weekends.

Hopefully some more experienced devvers can have something awesome ready?
Elysian Shadows - "Next-Gen" 2D/3D RPG coming to Sega Dreamcast, Steam, OUYA, and Smartphones
http://www.elysianshadows.com
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:32 am

I begin to understand that this really is a neat thing. Something that would be ace would be to show some examples of this new Holly 3D engine. That would probably raise some eyebrows.
If I knew a bit earlier, I might have been able to attend, even though I have nothing but ideas for comming games to show. But I do wish you all luck! It would be so nice to show the Scene to Yuji Naka!
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:51 am

Imerion wrote:It would be so nice to show the Scene to Yuji Naka!
YES. I can't quit thinking about what his reaction would be.
Elysian Shadows - "Next-Gen" 2D/3D RPG coming to Sega Dreamcast, Steam, OUYA, and Smartphones
Roel
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Roel » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:18 am

Hey Max!
Please read your mail, we've sent you a video of Age of the Beast.
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:22 am

Thanks so much guys.

We're now leaving early Sunday morning GTM+01.00 (Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna). If someone is really interested to show his production on the GC, you can spent the whole Saturday on it. ;)

And by the way... we're going to meet Yuji Naka on the upcoming Wednesday. You even can sent prods to us while the convention!
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:39 pm

Maybe, just maybe, I might be able to get enough of Viva done to show it off.

How badass would that be for Yuji Naka of Sonic Team (creators of Samba De Amigo) to see it?
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:05 pm

Okay, I have got a very important call from the convention director 5 minutes ago. The carpet for our booth won't be available until upcoming Wednesday, which means we are going to drive there on Wednesday morning.

The con will still take place between Thursday and Sunday.

Which means: You can still work on projects for the GC until Wednesday morning. :)

We would really apprechiate every single submission!
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:35 pm

Excellent! I can't wait to see what the booth looks like. What are the main homebrew games/apps you'll be showing?
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:45 pm

I am guessing whatever the dc scene can cough up.

If ever there was a time to impress them with an emulator filled with homebrew roms, now would be the time, scherzo.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer
Been liked: 10 times

Post by MetaFox » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:14 pm

Dark Savant0 wrote:I am guessing whatever the dc scene can cough up.

If ever there was a time to impress them with an emulator filled with homebrew roms, now would be the time, scherzo.
In today's world, emulators wouldn't impress industry insiders in the least - especially for a system that's been emulated on everything from the Sega Genesis to cell phones.

Gyrovorbis' idea would probably do the trick though. Independent games using Dreamcast peripherals like the maraccas would most likely turn a few heads.

I just wish I could have gotten my idea done in time, as it definately would have turned the heads of just about everyone who attended (but seeing as it's a mixture of hardware and software, there's no hope of making it in on time).
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:44 pm

Actually, there is hope for Viva then.

There is just no way that it'd actually be done by that time, but there might actually be time to get a song or so playable. It already works with the maracas (didn't get around to controller though, doh).

Anyway, I worked late into the night last night getting the background all nice and trippy like Samba De Amigo was.

Backgrounds will be fully customizable depending on your song. This particular song I used some ripped Zelda sprites/tiles for. Viva is also making use of the engine from DCPart2.0 for confetti and other neat looking affects.

This game is really trippy. I'm talking Rez material here. I'm hoping to make the background and scenery get trippier depending on how good you're doing (rank, amigos, etc.)

Here's a screenshot of just the background of the Zelda theme:

Is there any chance that you guys will have access to maracas? If not, then maybe 2 fishing rods? (crazy, I know, but I think I've figured out a way that 2 fishing rods can be "poor man's maracas").
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:46 am

GyroVorbis wrote:Is there any chance that you guys will have access to maracas? If not, then maybe 2 fishing rods? (crazy, I know, but I think I've figured out a way that 2 fishing rods can be "poor man's maracas").
Darn, I had severals (about 6 sets) two years ago, but we gave it all away at a party.

We have almost everything at the booth - DreamEye, Karaoke System, Limited DC Editions... but no Maracas. But let's see if I could get some in time. I bet I can also manage this (after all the probs we got in the last weeks).
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:21 pm

:o

OH MY! I wish I had been at that party...
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:42 pm

Gyro, if you are getting a G Con demo ready and it does make it, will that demo be downloadable, or strictly to the convention?
Christuserloeser
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Christuserloeser » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:50 pm

Max, I know it's not exactly what you asked for but if you just need any additional DC discs (other than previously unreleased stuff) to represent the independent scene, I'd suggest the following DCEvolution.net releases:

DreamEmulation Project: SEGA 8bit Edition
Tetris 2 OverClocked
DCSquares Cubed
Alice in Wonderland Dreamcast eBook

RAEL Demo 1 (download the PC demo and use this BOR PAL binary with rumble support. PAL looks much better, more 'hi-res' than the NTSC version)

BASS (just replace the SCUMMVM.BIN with a newer version)

There are at least a dozen of very impressive new images we have in the pipeline. Some of them are coming along very nicely but they just aren't finished yet.

I guess you already have loads of nice DC homebrew discs but don't forget to present them also the Drill preview video :D
Insane homebrew collector.
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:21 pm

drill demo will be a good one.

perhaps a showcase of some good beats of rage mods would be cool, but wouldn't want to get into a legal issue.

DC squares would be an excellent idea

but I guess you already considered all these and are simply pushing for coders to get projects finished in time :p
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:59 pm

Thanks guy. Some impressions from the first days:

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.ph ... GC2005day1
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:21 am

:o

Oh my god, that looks damn amazing. The picture of Yuji Naka getting the DC-S shirt is just awesome. What kind of things did he say? Will there be like a more detailed account after you guys are done?
Darksaviour69
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Darksaviour69 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:17 pm

GyroVorbis wrote: This game is really trippy. I'm talking Rez material here.
oh REZ, that just makes me..... well i love rez

btw max your doing the a great justuse, i hope i do i little of the same some time for the scene