Dreamcast Demo Disc #01: Professional release or download?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Would you like to see a professional produced DDD#01?

Yeah, "best-of-DC-scene-collection" on a silver CD with jewel case, front and backsheets and that stuff sounds neat. I would even spend up to US$5 for a copy.
75%
Nope, what the heck? It's just a collection of programms, I don't need this in my shelves, make a download of it.
25%

Total votes: 20
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Dreamcast Demo Disc #01: Professional release or download?

Post by Freeze » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:21 pm

Yet another topic about the Dreamcast Demo Disc #01 which was almost as often delayed than Duke Nukem Forever.

First of all, the DDD#01 release will still happen. I'm going to be honest why it was delayed for almost 2 years and hope you don't feel that disappointed after all. We had the concept of the DDD#01 in 2003, and wanted to produce 2.000 pieces and give it away for free at Lik-Sang. After we contacted a lot of DC scene intern programmers and asked if it's okay to add their game / application / emulator to this disc, we wanted to wait to give them a bit more time for a new version and some even to release brandnew content, which need time as you know. After months and months of waiting, almost nothing happend. Some projects were even cancelled without telling us a single word. And then the crappiest thing happend. Legal issues.

Yes, we indeed had some issue with... legal questions. I can't tell you more than this, but believe me that the last months were a pretty busy and expencive time.

Now, 2005, we finally want to finish it, although it's "just" a compilation of the best DC scene production and mostly designed for collectors and beginners. Beginners in that way, that we want to get new interested people in this subculture due this disc who were never connected to the DC scene before (like Japanese gamers, retro gamers, ...).

Now I want to ask you, since we would have to publish the CD all by ourself. Would you agree that this would be a good idea, would you even buy a copy for US$2.50 - 5.00 to have the "best-of-collection" of the DC scene in your shelves or would is it just worth a download?

The CD version would offer you:
* CD jewel case
* Front and backsheet in color
* Small manual
* Professional pressed CD with color print on top

Your 2 cents...?

By the way: The same topic is also on the forums of Dreamcast-Scene and DCEmu.co.uk in order to reach the opinions of most of the DC scene.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:56 pm

I would pay for a pressed copy.

Out of curiosity, what will be included and what kind of menu will it have? Maybe you've mentioned it before elsewhere, but I've enver seen the list of games. Anything exclusive or special versions?

...word is bondage...
bizzle

Post by bizzle » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:22 pm

$2.50 to $5 I'd definitly buy it. If you do end up doing that please find someone in the US to distribute to the US that way people don't need to spend a lot just to ship it.
Christuserloeser
Has liked: 6 times

Post by Christuserloeser » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:06 am

I'm gonna buy a few copies for me and some friends of mine. It gets a lot more attention in the media if it's a commercial product. No point in offering this gem for a free download if you spend so much time in making it 100% legal. You got the possibility, now take advantage of it :) You still could make the release available for download later on as this will also help you advertising the remaining pressed discs.
Insane homebrew collector.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:51 am

This is what you do.

Get shippers in the US market, Europe, and Asia. The US marketers may be able to ship to NA and SA. Europe gets Africa, and Asia gets Antarctica and Australia.

When all the discs are sold, offer it up for download in order to advertise future discs.

Ban sale of it on ebay unless licensed(or some such nonsense).

Add it to select copies of DreamOn when it comes out. I think. Like promotion.

Send me 1 free copy, for testing purposes :wink:

Sound good?

Congrats on the release. Hope to know why the compilation was legally tied up, but meh.
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:37 am

print press and ship!
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Nico0020 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:17 pm

id buy it.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:04 pm

I'd buy, $5.00 isn't a lot.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:08 pm

International shipping shouldn't really even be a problem if that's the only option available. It doesn't have to be expensive, people who charge a lot for it are either stupid or greedy. A single CD in a jewel case can be shipped most anywhere in the world for less than $5.00US

...word is bondage...