N64

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
nodew
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

N64

Post by nodew »

is there an n64 emu?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

One, but it doesn't play commercial games and isn't much more than a techdemo AFAIK.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

A more important question is "Can you read?"
It's thinking...
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Meh, Supervision is emulated now.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

As is saturn, sorta.
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

I imagine the N64 is hard to emulate because the ROM would have to be loaded into the RAM in order for it to work properly?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

evanft wrote:I imagine the N64 is hard to emulate because the ROM would have to be loaded into the RAM in order for it to work properly?
Correct.

Only a few ROMs would allow for both the entire ROM to be loaded in the RAM with memory to spare for the emulator to run as well.
It's thinking...
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Leaving aside the RAM issue (which I still suspect is not the obstacle that most people make it out to be), you'd still be trying to emulate N64's 90MHz, 64-bit GPR CPU plus graphics on a 200MHz 32-bit GPR processor. The only N64 emulator to approach this goal in the PC world (without sound emulation, mind you) uses some rather compatibility-impairing techniques: static recompilation, cutting corners on the graphics emulation in ways that happen to work for SM64, et. al.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Ram isnt really an issue (except certain emulators use a lot more ram than the should just because its not an issue) the issues IS what ex-cyber says. not only that but you are also emulating the n64's graphics proc which is 50mhz or so and other stuff.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

N64 emulation was a reality on a 200Mhz PC, DC is faster than that,
i accept that it would be hard, but i've asked before if a single game emu could be built (SM64 then maybe Turok) using the techniques pioneered in ultrahle, there are plenty of good sources/references out there now (mupen, corn, ultrahle, Azimer's hle sound) is it really impossible or just plain really hard ?
:(
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

as has been said before. just plain hard. most of the people writing stuff for the DC are not experts in emulation. That i know of there have only been 1 REAL ground up emulator for the DC (that have been released, and i dont count ones written directly from tutorials or bleemDc).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

i think i might throw down the gauntlet on the EmuTalk boards and see if anyone nibbles :)
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

there are two of us already who have ported smaller useless n64 emus, but the only very portable one out there that could be useful in any way is mupen and both gpf and i have discussed it on emutalk before.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

ahhh shoot, i thought that would be a good idea, what with Chankast on the same boards. :(
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

pfft. they just put chankast there because its one of those new hip emulators in the style of UltraHLE as opposed to how most emulators appear (gradually showing progress) that appeared and was already doings things.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

yeah but, i was thinking that at least (along with all the N64 emu experts) there would be someone around familiar with the insides of a Dreamcast.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

mikozero wrote:yeah but, i was thinking that at least (along with all the N64 emu experts) there would be someone around familiar with the insides of a Dreamcast.
I see an N64 emulator for the DC as something to do just because it can be done, not as a substitute for the real thing. This not to put down the people writing one, but perhaps at best one day, something like Mario64 may be running. Both the N64 and Saturn are very complicated machines with a lot of chips, so someone would have to know the insides of both a Dreamcast and the N64; not impossible, but who as the time to invest in that level of work as a hobby.

As I said for a Saturn, if you want to play N64 games that badly, go to ebgames (obviously, no Saturns outside of speciality shops or ebay) or gamestop...whatever... and get an N64 and some games. N64 goes for about $15-$20, and most of the games are easy to find and not that expensive.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

abydos1000 wrote:Both the N64 and Saturn are very complicated machines with a lot of chips, so someone would have to know the insides of both a Dreamcast and the N64; not impossible, but who as the time to invest in that level of work as a hobby.
just as some sidenotes:

n64 doesnt have many chips, the problems is that after ultraHLE interest plummeted in LLE of the machine, and so dynarec and HLE took over, which both make any emulator for it a poor candidate for the DC, not only that, but the dll nature of the plugins dont help that much.

and as for it being a hobby, after bleemcast, bleem had intended to try n64 emulation on the DC and had apparenly built cart interfaces for the expansion bus (or had planned to build it, rand mentioned this in a topic a very long time ago). so your hobby comment seems just about right ;), although i think over this summer yabause-dc might really start to shine (after it goes all C of course, and that pseudo-dynarec core is figured out).
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

i play N64 already (even have most of the raritys tucked away, like MQ)

i've simply asked about this idea (only twice) because a single game N64 SM64 emu is (imo) a very cool idea,
and putting cool ideas out there sometimes, just sometimes,
results in nice big surprises for those who would be interested in such a things,
because (in my experience) good challenging ideas sometimes attract the attention
of just the kind of people who can accomplish them.

PS. does anything do CPS1 nice on DC ?

edit- i was typing this while quzar must've been posting, anyway points still valid.
Last edited by mikozero on Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

mikozero wrote:PS. does anything do CPS1 nice on DC ?
not yet. but soon.