neo4all beta 2 released

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Quzar »

fox68k wrote:
DARKGATE wrote: Only a problem, ALL CDDA don't work, only fx. :)
I am starting to think there is something weird about CDDA, because i played both KOF and Samurai Spirits with it. There should be a CD cue issue or something like that. :roll:
probably has to do with the z80 ram banking. There is absolutely no evidence that the z80 on the NGCD has banked memory. If it did, then odds are nothing would function with sound in the PC version. NeoDC has no problems with cdda that i know of, and neither does the PC version, and that is the only significant difference i can see (that has no real basis) other than fame which would have no problem.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

law56ker wrote:Real bout fat fury special, runs 100% amazing animation, sound effects are great, no cdda.
I have CDDA in it, the game works flawless. I found only a tiny glitch: after the second fight the game pauses itself at the beginning of the match... But who cares :lol:
Now I have all the best fighters in DC :D
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Link2k4 »

the games on Neo4all runs great I just wish the compatibilty was better and saving, because I am sorry neo 4 all is the sweetest emu right now.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

I disagree, first of all the loading screens on neo4all are very very annoying, especially on games that load a lot like samurai showdown or last blade, you see the loading screen about 7 times more with the lady saying "loading" it's a distraction from the game especially sinceit happens during and between fights. The loading is faster on neodc and cdda works on more games. No emu is better they each have there advantages and disadvantages and have a ways to go till they are done.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

law56ker wrote:I disagree, first of all the loading screens on neo4all are very very annoying, especially on games that load a lot like samurai showdown or last blade, you see the loading screen about 7 times more with the lady saying "loading" it's a distraction from the game especially sinceit happens during and between fights. The loading is faster on neodc and cdda works on more games. No emu is better they each have there advantages and disadvantages and have a ways to go till they are done.
Man, the point is that they have reached a very high level of emulation. The loading screen is of no importance compared to what has been achieved.... Anyway, the developers can remove/replace it anytime they want ;)
groundbeef
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by groundbeef »

This emulator is by far the best released in quite a while. I have NO complaints about Neo4All....if this were the last version it would be more than adequate as all 9 of my games run near perfect to perfect, with sound, and frameskip at 0. I am sure that the emu can get better...i.e. no slowdown what-so-ever (even during filtering), no-load screens, no auto save to vmu, etc...but to me this emu is still by far and large excellent.
I played Sengoku and Mutation Nation for 2 hours yesterday!!!! Man the good ole days of my Neo Geo Gold :D

It was bliss...
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

The emulator is good but a lot of games cdda still doesn't work.
DaRKSLaiN
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by DaRKSLaiN »

this will be your case, law56ker... because i have test a BIG amount of games, and only 4 of 41 doesn?t work (well) with CDDA... (?LOTS?), get my compatibility List here:

http://usuarios.lycos.es/darkscustoms/Compatlist.htm

I sincerely think that Neo4all it?s the best emulator i?ve seen on dreamcast, because his complexity and his graphic blitter, even better (talking about graphic drawing) than any NeoGeo emu for PC?s... (see how the sprites get resized without losing quality... impressive!) and the speed for a 200 Mhz... (Miracle?) What about the sound? it?s so good!, and if it?s bad it?s cause of the z80 core (mamez80), that it?s not all perfect comparing with the graphics part...

We are talking about a BETA version... what?ll bring the future to us? :)

And of course i?ll be ever been grateful with Chui and Fox68k for giving me the oportunity of take part of this marvelous work doing the Artwork and betatesting :)

Greets!

P.S: Sorry?bout my awful english :)
One Programmer Can Make The Difference
Julius
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Julius »

Nice list but how do you do the "iso-layer renameing" for Last Blade 1&2?
DaRKSLaiN
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by DaRKSLaiN »

easy, just get the data from the root of the CD to the HD on a folder, and then use UltraISO or WinIso to make the ISO, doing a new and changing the layer first, just only put the data from the folder you?ve created and then save it. you?ll have the iso, make a CUE (with CDRcue for example) with the ISO track first and the mp3 after this first track, then, burn it with nero and voil?! xD :)

Greets
Julius
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Julius »

Ahh thanks, I will try that asap. If it works it will make NeoGeoCD emulation a lot better for me ;) LastBlade rocks!
DaRKSLaiN
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by DaRKSLaiN »

Last blade it?s oOOoohhh in the dreamcast, believe me... :) don?t know why, but i like the first part more than the 2nd :)
Julius
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Julius »

Great it works!!! Thanks again... I was starting to think it will never work with Neo4all.

Not sure which part is better, but the loading times seem a bit better with LastBlade2.

Maybe there could be a fast load option implemented in the emu(s)? There a a bunch of screens and intermissions (like for example that speech of the enemy before the fight in LastBlade), that are kinda pointless anyways. This would of course be game specific, but with a game-database inside the emulator where the specific parts to skip for each game are stored, it could be possible (or am I just stupid, and those parts are needed for the game?).
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Way to turn an innocent thread into a backup discussion :roll:

If you wanna talk about it, discuss it via PM instead of clogging this thread ;)
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
DaRKSLaiN
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by DaRKSLaiN »

Julius almost all the games has this short mode you wish to have in your games, in the options menu, with the name of "Demo Cut" or "Short Mode"...
LB1 have it, leaving the "first contact conversation" that eats 6 or 7 seconds of play...

Greets
Eiji
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Eiji »

I wish neo4all ran at or had an option to run at 320x240 (like BOR) instead of 640x480.

I know the native resolution of the NeoGeo/NeoCD is 304x224 but it doesn't look too bad in a 320x240 window. Maybe add a stretching option to fill the screen for the fullscreen fanatics.

I prefer unfiltered sprites true to the look of the same game running on the original console.

Early versions of NeoCD/SDL ran at 320x240.

If I wanted to play filtered NGCD games I'd use NeoCD/SDLx on the Xbox but alas, I hate filtering/scaling and the Xbox can't output below 640x480 :)
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Eiji wrote:I wish neo4all ran at or had an option to run at 320x240 (like BOR) instead of 640x480.

I know the native resolution of the NeoGeo/NeoCD is 304x224 but it doesn't look too bad in a 320x240 window. Maybe add a stretching option to fill the screen for the fullscreen fanatics.

I prefer unfiltered sprites true to the look of the same game running on the original console.

Early versions of NeoCD/SDL ran at 320x240.

If I wanted to play filtered NGCD games I'd use NeoCD/SDLx on the Xbox but alas, I hate filtering/scaling and the Xbox can't output below 640x480 :)
NeoGeo is 320x224. Some games only output 304 in arcade modes because of the way the monitors are.

The way NeoDC works is that even though its displayed at 640x480 its simply doubled so its exactly the same image as before (exact same aspect ratio) but larger.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

However, 640x480 does look different from 320x240 in a TV, as well as in old computer monitors.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

hrm. i can only ever test on my PC monitor(which is an LCD). From this summer on I'll have regular access to a TV, so i'll be able to test it, but i have never seen NeoDC on anything other than a monitor. I'll add something to select between 320x240 and 640x480 if it makes a difference (it will have absolutely no affect on speed).

sorry about discussing NeoDC so much in a neo4all topic.
Eiji
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Eiji »

Fragger wrote:However, 640x480 does look different from 320x240 in a TV, as well as in old computer monitors.
Yeah, it looks very different.

The details in 320x240 are sharper and the picture is generally sharper and more defined with no pixelation.

This is most noticeable on a regular TV set.

On a monitor though, 320x240 would look more pixelated.