DCDev: Porting Rewards

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DCDev: Porting Rewards

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Hey, folks.

You know, quite often a project idea will show up, get kicked around for a while, get a bunch of people interested, and then either fizzle or just end up hitting a development wall.

Last year, I tried to start a coding competition, but had trouble getting it off the ground. Trouble getting attention, gathering interest, building momentum. It seems there are plenty of coding contests to go around. Therefore, I've decided to do something a little bit different.

I'm going to start keeping a running log of a select few "Most Wanted" ports or projects, and offering modest rewards for the first person to do them successfully. If multiple authors are involved in a successful endeavour, we can work something else out.

This community and the great handiwork that comes from it is quite honestly the *ONLY* reason I still own a Dreamcast. I'm always fascinated by what's being worked on, there's a good sense of community, and it's an incredible thing to see a scene come together for legitimate, freeware games for home consoles (rather than just PC). Aside from the (sparse) music and artwork I do for Screamcast, this is my way of giving something back. I also have another trick or two up my sleeve, but that'll have to wait for another time ;).

Anyway, the first two items are introduced to the list today. These prize offerings are ongoing, and will be awarded to the first person who completes the project in a fully playable, relatively bug-free presentation. Both of today's rewards are for ports rather than original projects...figured I'd start with something easier (though I realize these aren't exactly a cakewalk), and work my way from there. Happy Easter, for those who celebrate it!

REWARDS:

$50 (US) will be given to the first person who creates a fully-functional Dreamcast port of Neverball ( http://icculus.org/neverball ). If the coder lives in the United States, he/she may opt to receive an original-model Gameboy Advance instead. (Unfortunately, I cannot extend this alternative internationally due to shipping costs).

$50 (US) will be given for a fully-functional port of Torus Trooper ( http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/tt_e.html ). Again, if the porter is in the US, he/she may opt for a Gameboy Advance instead.

A special reward will be offered if the same person is responsible for both ports.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I really doubt Torus Trooper will be ported becuase it's written in D, so I'm pretty sure it would have to be completely rewritten.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Xylene wrote:I really doubt Torus Trooper will be ported becuase it's written in D, so I'm pretty sure it would have to be completely rewritten.
[nods] I understand that. But that's also why I'm willing to pay for it--because it would require a fair amount of effort. My understanding of D is that it is more or less a hybrid of the different C variants (C, C++, C#), and that it shares the same or similar basic structure and commands but introduces a lot of new elements...which means that large sections of code would probably have to be rewritten.

Again, though, this is why I'm offering a reward for it. I don't ever *expect* to see results, but if there is even the slightest chance of something happening, I want to do all I can to encourage it. If someone's willing to put in the effort, that person deserves something for doing this. And if someone's already been thinking about attempting it, this is a little added incentive to get it started.
Julius
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Julius »

What about connecting this with a paypal account, so that people can donate, to pool money for future rewards?
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

So your contest is no longer going on?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

MetaFox wrote:So your contest is no longer going on?
...Well, seeing as how nobody entered....
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
MetaFox wrote:So your contest is no longer going on?
...Well, seeing as how nobody entered....
You had to enter before the contest ended? o_O

EDIT: Oh, the deadline was March 1. I thought it was April 21st. :oops:
gnomes
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gnomes »

I would donate cash to see Neveralball and Torus Trooper. Especially Torus Trooper.

But there needs to be a secure way to do it.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Maybe just expand the deadline for your old contest again and do a post over at http://www.DCEmu.co.uk as well - I'd gladly sticky it for you!

Your new idea is awesome - I really hope that there's someone picking up the task(s).
Insane homebrew collector.
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

It would be soo good to see neverball on the DC. That game just plain rox!
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by GPF »

well I started working on Neverball a couple months ago. I have got it displaying the menu -SDL_ttf fonts(not working for some reason) and the menu sound works, but as soon as I got to the second menu it locks up, either it runs into out of memory errors or limitations in kglx or in klimt gl libs.

Troy
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

oh nice work gpf, I hope you manage to get to the second menu. Whats the frame rate like on the first menu?
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

yeah, a Torus Trooper port would rock. I would personally pay to see a port of SmashGP, but only 1 person is working on that...
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Just played Torus Trooper! Indeed a frantic game! Really fun!