Sega Saturn Emulator.........

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
gemberland2004
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sega Saturn Emulator.........

Post by gemberland2004 »

Will there ever be a Sega Saturn Emulator because i have a full 32 Bit Playable Virtua Fighter 2 on my Cpu and I wanted to convert it to the Dreamcast

Can someone let me know something?

Thanks
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

There is a Sega Saturn Emulator in its beginning stages. Its called Yabause-dc. It doesn't play any games, and is extremely slow.

That being said, I don't know when it will be any faster, nor does any one else (I am the guy who ported it to the DC), nor do I know when it'll play Virtua Fighter 2. One day, hopefully it'll be at least playable.
dj898
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by dj898 »

maybe when we have Pentium XXIV with 300GHZ speed...
seriously I don't think anyone has figured out how Saturn ticks fully...

we don't even know what kind of copy protection Sega used for Saturn disc...
saying that there's unofficial emulator that runs some of commercial titles at bearable speed assuming you have very powerful system and all...

cheers
gemberland2004
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by gemberland2004 »

Got Damn How did I know that's wild

you know how hard it is to find Saturn Systems let alone the games

Well Im jus gonna have to go buy one then forget it :(
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

gemberland2004 wrote:you know how hard it is to find Saturn Systems let alone the games
Try ebay, there are plenty on there, as well as plenty of Saturn games, you can even find the more rarer titles but expect to pay a bit for them.
dj898
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by dj898 »

I wouldn't say "bit" more like "a lot" unless you consider $40-70 per title is bit... :p
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

I got Panzer Dragoon RPG from Play Asia (brand new-sealed) for $30, thats very cheap, considering that PD RPG is one of the rarest and best games out there.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

dj898 wrote:I wouldn't say "bit" more like "a lot" unless you consider $40-70 per title is bit... :p
you can pick up a lot of decent games up for less than that. mostly jap exclusives and the few rare US titles tend to hover between the $40-$70 mark, then you have your ridiculously priced titles. Spose it is cheaper for me paying in ?'s but Saturn games are not really hard to find.
gemberland2004
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by gemberland2004 »

Yea i was on ebay yesterday and saw A couple Jap Imports a couple king of fighters and Mearvel Vs. games

but when i saw that they were 50 and 60 dollaz i said hmmmm maybe another time!
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I'm a smacktard. Seriously. Back in the day, I had a Saturn with the Netlink and I frigging sold it. I was just such a tard teenager. Running around, partying, smoking things, drinking stuff, humping holes. Man.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

gemberland2004 wrote:Yea i was on ebay yesterday and saw A couple Jap Imports a couple king of fighters and Mearvel Vs. games

but when i saw that they were 50 and 60 dollaz i said hmmmm maybe another time!
You can get SFA & SFA2 pretty cheap, SF collection is well worth getting (you get SSFII, SSFIIX & SFA2 Gold), Most of the SNK fighters are not bad either. also dead or alive is pretty sweet

It's stuff like Vampire Saviour, SFA3 & Marvel V's Capcom games etc. that demand high Prices.
Last edited by Matisfaction on Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chainfist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Chainfist »

[quote="Matisfaction"][quote="gemberland2004"]Yea i was on ebay yesterday and saw A couple Jap Imports a couple king of fighters and Mearvel Vs. games

but when i saw that they were 50 and 60 dollaz i said hmmmm maybe another time![/quote]
You can get SFA & SFA2 pretty cheap, SF collection is well worth getting (you get SSFII, SSFIIX & SFA2 Gold), Most of the SNK fighters are not bad either. also dead or alive is pretty sweet

It's stuff like Vampire Saviour, SFA3 & Marvel V's Capcom etc. that demand high Prices.[/quote]

Thats all fine and dandy, but you can pretty much play all those cool titles on XBOX, PS2 and Dreamcast in a newer version much closer to the original arcade without having to take a loan out at the bank... when it all comes down to it, its just software....
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Chainfist wrote:Thats all fine and dandy, but you can pretty much play all those cool titles on XBOX, PS2 and Dreamcast in a newer version much closer to the original arcade without having to take a loan out at the bank... when it all comes down to it, its just software....
Not true, the Saturn versions are genuinely the better ports do to the Saturns amazing 2d capabilities. (hence the high interest in them, If the XBOX, PS2 ports were better, no one would want the Saturn versions would they) . And as for taking out a loan, The only game that's gonna cost a small fortune is SFA3 (Superior to the DC version hence the high price) which i think is doing the rounds at $100+

The rest I've seen range from $12-$50 depending on condition.

But saying that it does pay to shop around and not buy the first game you see on ebay.

and of course The Saturn has other games to consider not just fighters.
Chainfist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Chainfist »

So Saturn is a 2-d master eh? Well, Since Saturn has a version of SF3 along with DC, PS2 and XBOX.. it would be interesting to see some side by side still shot & game play comparisons...

I'd love to try that little experiment, though I'd still have to get the Xbox version of SF3 and a Saturn to pull tha toff... and maybe have a few rounds on the actual acade machine.. can anyone actually definitively support that Saturn is tops?

EDIT> Wait a second.. are we talking Third Strike Here or Alpha? (don't think a saturn could handle 3rd Strike...)
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Chainfist wrote:So Saturn is a 2-d master eh? Well, Since Saturn has a version of SF3 along with DC, PS2 and XBOX.. it would be interesting to see some side by side still shot & game play comparisons...
There is no SF3 on Saturn. SFA3 though Saturn wins hands down. A lot of the Capcom ports to saturn are considered to be the best.
Chainfist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Chainfist »

True.. I guess Saturn was dead by SF3... but at least it made it onto the DC.

Is interesting how Saturn was able to emulate / port so many good 2D games, but its so hard for other systems to emulate the Saturn itself.... what an amazing machine.

(Though, some people may be playing the actual arcade coded SFA3 US980904 right now on their xbox with a nubytech SF 15th Anniversary Arcade Stick, wondering how much better the Saturn really was....)
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

The only game that's gonna cost a small fortune is SFA3 (Superior to the DC version hence the high price) which i think is doing the rounds at $100+
The following, while they may be found at reasonable prices on occasion, have a tendency to get ridiculous:

Panzer Dragoon Saga (US)
Radiant Silvergun
Shining Force 3 (US)
Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru (if you can even find anyone willing to sell it)

There's a couple others that I'm forgetting, but those are decent enough examples.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Every system has a couple of ridiculously priced games, Check out some of the rarest PC Engine games :o

Plus I've never seen Panzer Dragoon Saga & Radiant Silvergun at a reasonable price.

Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru was released in very small quantities and although an excellent game, be prepared to pay through the ass for it. Prolly the most expensive game for the Saturn when it pops up.

Don't be fooled that because some games are pricey that they are any good. Price is measured in rarity only. There are lots of great games available for the Saturn that you can pick up cheaply or for a good price. Not all it's best games cost an arm and a leg.
Last edited by Matisfaction on Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

dj898 wrote:maybe when we have Pentium XXIV with 300GHZ speed...
seriously I don't think anyone has figured out how Saturn ticks fully...
Not entirely true. Sega's emulator for it runs very fast, compared to free Saturn emus in development. However, there are homebrew emulators like Satourne and Saturnin that have been making great strides recently. Since I have a real Saturn, I'm not in any big rush, but I still look forward to the day when I'll be able to preserve my Saturn and instead hook up a little HTPC-style box to my TV and run games on it.

Heck, Satourne 2.0 is being beta tested right now, and it looks good so far. It won't be as fast as Sega's emulator, but it shouldn't require hardware that hasn't been made yet to achieve playability, and compatibility is improving all the time.
dj898 wrote:we don't even know what kind of copy protection Sega used for Saturn disc...
Actually, we do, more or less. How to get around it is another matter, there is no way to circumvent the security ring check short of a mod chip or swapping. The issue has been all but beaten to death on other forums.
WaCk0
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by WaCk0 »

scherzo wrote:I'm a smacktard. Seriously. Back in the day, I had a Saturn with the Netlink and I frigging sold it. I was just such a tard teenager. Running around, partying, smoking things, drinking stuff, humping holes. Man.
LOL so you smoked your Saturn :lol:

There's also SSF (0.7 alpha I think). Dunno if It works, speed... (I think need SSE2 and my AthlonXP doesnt run)