Ideas for Scherzo's NesterDC SE.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Skynet »

Hm... Does his friends call him Mario, because they (this guy and Mario) are both italians and they're both plumbers? :P
:guffaw:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
GustavoSM
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by GustavoSM »

What about perfect SNES emulation? That would rock!
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Fragger wrote:Anyway, it would be interesting if someone with a huge collection like this could help scherzo by providing some scans of the boxes (all sides), cart labels, and manuals/docs.
Check UberNES. Lots of cool features plus a huge archive of box art images.
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

Already said, but light gun support would be awesome!
As well, support for Mystery Quest, even though just about every emulator doesn't support this great game! :(
Last edited by Syd on Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

ethoscapade wrote:actually, being raised in a super christian household, i had that baby moses game :D

and i don't much like that idea about the quick save/load, personally.. the DC triggers are very prone to being inadvertently squeezed, and then you'd have the kids suddenly jumping back five levels for reasons they can't understand.
no offense to your religion meant.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Syd wrote:Already said, but light gun support would be awesome!
I plan to make this happen. I just don't have a light gun. :cry: I'm looking on ebay right now to see what's available.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

Fragger wrote:
gamedudex2 wrote:i know soemone that has every nes cart ever, he also has one of the gold carts for the nintendo cup he paid a few grand for , he f'n crazy. he was also the first person to dump that rom online, he also made several other rom dumps. he has many pirate carts too.
and various famicon and nes usa systems.

like i said this dude crazy, he almost complete an snes collection, and has a complete n64 one. so far he doesnt plan on fooling with a gameboy collection because too many gameboy/gbc/gba games to keep tack off

all of his games have box and instreuctions, many are new. he also have unboxed ones that arent new just for gameplay.

he even has a huge crap load of atari 2600 and 7800 games.

hasa decent amoumt of cube.

this guy is the ultimate nintendo freak.

oh by the way he has no girlfriend. duh(serious) this dude would spend entire paychecks on games. the most he paid for a single game was $5,000
Hm... Does his friends call him Mario, because they (this guy and Mario) are both italians and they're both plumbers? :P

Anyway, it would be interesting if someone with a huge collection like this could help scherzo by providing some scans of the boxes (all sides), cart labels, and manuals/docs.
he worked in a game store, then i dunno what he does now, but he was still living with his parents and he 36
ghostparty
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by ghostparty »

LyingWake wrote:
Maybe you could make the left trigger on the dc a quick ram load and the right trigger can be the quick ram save.
That way we don't have to go to a menu every time.
Yeah, but what happens when you accediently hit quick load when you quick saved about 10 minutes ago. That would suck.
Maybe we could have a customizable control menu then, that way we can all set it to what we want. :D
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

ghostparty wrote:
LyingWake wrote:
Maybe you could make the left trigger on the dc a quick ram load and the right trigger can be the quick ram save.
That way we don't have to go to a menu every time.
Yeah, but what happens when you accediently hit quick load when you quick saved about 10 minutes ago. That would suck.
Maybe we could have a customizable control menu then, that way we can all set it to what we want. :D
Done.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

scherzo wrote:
Syd wrote:Already said, but light gun support would be awesome!
I plan to make this happen. I just don't have a light gun. :cry: I'm looking on ebay right now to see what's available.
Too bad I didn't know you were lacking 6 months ago. The ebgames and gamestop near my home had this stuff coming out of their ears. It's all gone now though.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

And I have a store near me that's had a lightgun for $25 AU for aaaaages (too cheap at the moment, paying off bills. Otherwise I would buy it). That's less than US$20.

If shipping wasn't a bitch of a thing from AU to US I'd be more than happy to help scherzo out. Unless he could've found one for a lot cheaper that is.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

The Dreamcasts' bios has support for (iirc) 11 different languages. It would be spiffy to have autodetection for this built into the themes system (i imagine a /cd/themes/themeX/[insert language here] setup)
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

This was probably mentioned before, but it would be cool to have a map viewer. I heard talk of a manual viewer and the map viewer would work the same way. Say I was playing dragon warrior and I didn't know where the hell I was, I would go to the menu and pull up the map. And perhaps a way to scroll around the map as well? :wink:
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Syd wrote:This was probably mentioned before, but it would be cool to have a map viewer. I heard talk of a manual viewer and the map viewer would work the same way. Say I was playing dragon warrior and I didn't know where the hell I was, I would go to the menu and pull up the map. And perhaps a way to scroll around the map as well? :wink:
It's gonna happen.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Syd wrote:This was probably mentioned before, but it would be cool to have a map viewer. I heard talk of a manual viewer and the map viewer would work the same way. Say I was playing dragon warrior and I didn't know where the hell I was, I would go to the menu and pull up the map. And perhaps a way to scroll around the map as well? :wink:
Oh man, I know exactly what you mean. Modern gaming has totally spoiled me for going back and trying to play things like original Metroid. Metroid before the overworld map was heinous to try to get through.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

oh my god, metroid is going to be playable?

i hate to say zero mission stole some of your thunder.. but i've waited YEARS for this.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Some features I'd like to see in Nester SE (nevermind them as they might have been asked thousand times or even are already implemented):

*PAL NES emulation (like SMSplusDC)
*faked Stereo sound
*Possibility for playing lightgun games either with analog stick or DC light gun
*Trilinear filtering (?)
*Exit/Reset function for DreamInducer
*Possiblity to use custom ROM names instead of GoodNES only

I guess you're readin thru these threads for all the wishlists and compatibility reports:
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=52522
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=49176

Some posts of interest:
frogcoin wrote:theres a chance of implement stereo sound in nester like the one that have Jnes? Jnes is freeware, not freesource but the author seems like can give us a clue. in the help file it says this about the stereo sound:

What's this about stereo sound?
It sounds pretty decent, it's a small hack that separates the pulse channels, providing a small stereo effect

http://www.jabosoft.com/jnes/
gonzo90017 wrote:
scherzo wrote:
impact135 wrote:I have also noticed that in little nemo the dream master and super mario bros 3 when you move your character, the far right of the screen has trouble catching up with the rest of the screen *im just talking about the FAR RIGHT of the screen.. like 1/20th or 1/30th of the screen size on the far side of the screen., this "problem is in the computer nes emulators as well so there may be no way to fix this. I have tried many different roms .. maybe my roms are bad.. i dont know. *NOT ASKING FOR ROMS*
I've been annoyed by this too and have tried to fix it without success yet. In my initial attempts, I just made things worse so I decided to leave it alone for now.
There IS an emuator that fixes this problem in Super Mario Bros 3 and any other game. It's called VirtuaNES. It's in Japanese but you can also set it to English menus. Just go to Option(C)>Graphics(G) and enable "Screen left Clip. Check it out if you have time scherzo. Keep up the good work!!
Insane homebrew collector.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Christuserloeser wrote:*PAL NES emulation (like SMSplusDC)
The NES frame timing is now directly tied in with the Dreamcast's frame timing, which I guess is 60 fps for US/Jap and 50 fps for Europe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Basically, I completely removed frame skipping since the emu seems to perform at full speed all the time. It's frame for a frame now. In order to correctly emulate the PAL NES, I suppose I'd have to smoothly distribute 50 frames over 60 frames on an NTSC DC. And I guess I wouldn't have to do anything on a PAL DC. Then completely vice versa for NTSC NES on a PAL DC. Again, if someone knows more than this, let me know, please. I can probably test by using the PAL video modes on my US TV. Yeah, it'll be all garbled, but I should be able to determine if the timing is correct that way.
Christuserloeser wrote:*faked Stereo sound
This would be kind of cool. I'll at least research it before I release and consider how difficult it would to implement. With features of this nature - ones that are emulation features - I always have to consider whether there's enough free CPU to do something like this. We'll see.

Christuserloeser wrote:*Possibility for playing lightgun games either with analog stick or DC light gun
Analog stick is already implemented. As for the light gun... I need a light gun. But it should just be a matter of taking code from 7.1+b and testing it.
Christuserloeser wrote:*Trilinear filtering (?)
Now, if you mean using the PVR's built-in trilinear filtering, I don't see a need for this. Also, in the few times I've used trilinear filtering on a texture, I've never noticed a difference from bilinear. I'm also using a VGA adapter and monitor, so I would definitely be able to see it.

Now if you mean something like 2xSai or Scale2x, there's just not enough leftover CPU for that.
Christuserloeser wrote:*Exit/Reset function for DreamInducer
Not a problem, I think.

Christuserloeser wrote:*Possiblity to use custom ROM names instead of GoodNES only
Doable.

Also, as for a rough release date... There is no way I won't finish this by the end of May. My wife and daughter are going to be out of the country for that entire month, which means I'll have LOTS of free time for programming. I will most likely have enough time to also release of DreamScript by then too.
WaCk0
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by WaCk0 »

There is no way I won't finish this by the end of May
:cheers:
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

scherzo wrote:
Christuserloeser wrote:*Trilinear filtering (?)
Now, if you mean using the PVR's built-in trilinear filtering, I don't see a need for this. Also, in the few times I've used trilinear filtering on a texture, I've never noticed a difference from bilinear. I'm also using a VGA adapter and monitor, so I would definitely be able to see it.

Now if you mean something like 2xSai or Scale2x, there's just not enough leftover CPU for that.
As far as i know, those filtering modes are for 3d to improve the looks of complex 3d scenes. on single textures they dont do anything.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man