Ideas for Scherzo's NesterDC SE.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

DcSteve wrote:Does nesterdcse have the same bi-linear filter that 7.1 has or does it have more than that like sai 2X or other types of filters.
I uses the bilinear filtering that the hardware performs. Doing something like 2xSai would have to be done in software and would dramatically slow down the frame rate, probably to just a few frames per second.
Coagulus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Been thanked: 0

Post by Coagulus »

Will there be any way to turn that filter off or is that a 'side-effect' of the stretch? I tend to leave filters off for the original nostalgic chunkiness!
COAGULUS
:;;::;;;;:::;
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Coagulus wrote:Will there be any way to turn that filter off or is that a 'side-effect' of the stretch? I tend to leave filters off for the original nostalgic chunkiness!
You can turn it off, but then it does a nearest-pixel method of stretching. This looks sharper but you'll start to notice little wave effect when things move, especially large things like the backgrounds of a stages. You get sort of a wave effect. I could explain why it does this but I don't feel like it. It's not the end of the world. I personally prefer the filtering but some people might like the other more. It's an option.
Smiles
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Smiles »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:You can turn it off, but then it does a nearest-pixel method of stretching. This looks sharper but you'll start to notice little wave effect when things move, especially large things like the backgrounds of a stages. You get sort of a wave effect. I could explain why it does this but I don't feel like it. It's not the end of the world. I personally prefer the filtering but some people might like the other more. It's an option.
Can you add a NON-stretched, NON-filtered mode? I think filtering and stretching makes the games look worse.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Many people ask for this, but it isn't really a possibility with the video modes that the DC is capable of. The NES is 256x224. The closest is a PAL-only 256x256 mode. The closest for both NTSC and PAL is 320x240. I could have the 256x224 NES image centered in this mode but then you have a black border around the whole thing. It would look like this (the red border is there for people using the black background forum theme):

Now, if enough people say that they would want something like what they see above, then I'll probably do it.

One thing that would complicate this from happening is switching from the hi-res menu mode of 640x480 to this. The best way to ensure that it is pixel perfect is to copy the NES image direct to video memory. But this might require me to shutdown the PVR which, in turn, loses all the textures for the menuing system.

I probably can switch the video mode without shutting down the PVR, and then use the PVR functions to display the NES image as I normally do, turning off the filtering too. That might work.

Bottom line... I'll put it on my list and give it a try. If I come up with something worth looking at, I'll put it in as an option.
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

Personally I would prefer the low-res picture with the black borders to the stretched full screen high-res image absolutely no question about it! Even in Dreamsnes (for example) its the mode I always choose looks great on a TV.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Now, if enough people say that they would want something like what they see above, then I'll probably do it.
I think it'd be something I'd probably use.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

I'd use is as well, though it would be nice to have the ability to switch back to streched mode in the options.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:
crt023 wrote:If you choose to implement light gun support will it be possible to calibrate the lightgun?
If it's necessary, sure. I would hate to add a lightgun feature and not have it work correctly.
:bluecry:

I never mailed you your light gun.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

scherzo: the DC is capable of any resolution you want within certain limits, the thing is that KOS is simply configured to normally use a certain amount of different ones. you could get the exact NES resolution by a bit of kos modding.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
GratefulDead
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by GratefulDead »

Once again, good luck on the project! I'm so impressed. I have a cdr waiting here to try this out and show every one of my friends.

|/|
crt023
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by crt023 »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:
crt023 wrote:If you choose to implement light gun support will it be possible to calibrate the lightgun?
If it's necessary, sure. I would hate to add a lightgun feature and not have it work correctly.
Yeah the only reason I asked is because my DC Minigun shoots way left on Virtual Cop 2 and House of the Dead and I kinda lucked out I guess cuz those 2 games you can calibrate. I played a homebrew game a while back that didn't allow it.

Anyway keep up the great work on a nearly perfect emulator.
The Alchemist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by The Alchemist »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:Now, if enough people say that they would want something like what they see above, then I'll probably do it.
Here's another "hell yes."
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

Quotable Quzar wrote:scherzo: the DC is capable of any resolution you want within certain limits, the thing is that KOS is simply configured to normally use a certain amount of different ones. you could get the exact NES resolution by a bit of kos modding.
It doesn't actually even need KOS modding - there is a version of vid_set_mode which takes a manually created structure - it's vid_set_mode_ex I think - I have no idea how you come up with the values to get the required resolution mind you!
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

I came up with a new idea:

Would it be possible to keep track of how many hours you've played NesterDC, or perhaps even keep track of how long you've played every single ROM? :D

Kinda like the scroll down list you see in arcade fighting games where you can see the percentage of how many times which fighter has been picked.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Warmtoe wrote:
Quotable Quzar wrote:scherzo: the DC is capable of any resolution you want within certain limits, the thing is that KOS is simply configured to normally use a certain amount of different ones. you could get the exact NES resolution by a bit of kos modding.
It doesn't actually even need KOS modding - there is a version of vid_set_mode which takes a manually created structure - it's vid_set_mode_ex I think - I have no idea how you come up with the values to get the required resolution mind you!
Yeah, I see what you're talking about. I'll just have to make a test program that lets me tweak the values via the controller, viewing the values via printf. Eventually I should be able to find the right ones. I can probably use the values from the built-in modes in KOS to give me a good idea for starting vals. Should be fun.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Cid Highwind wrote:I came up with a new idea:

Would it be possible to keep track of how many hours you've played NesterDC, or perhaps even keep track of how long you've played every single ROM? :D

Kinda like the scroll down list you see in arcade fighting games where you can see the percentage of how many times which fighter has been picked.
Interesting. Maybe.
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

I think most of the trillion asked features for NesterDC of this super-thread are no worth and time consuming for scherzo, he has a real life as all of us .
Keeping NesterDC SE with a great compat list and as close as the original NES (with your SF menu system ;-) ), should be just fine. Forget about the rest man
oh, I think the original 256x224 mode is what should look like if possible without too much hacking, if not don't care too much if is a bit different ;-)

cheers
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

bender wrote:I think most of the trillion asked features for NesterDC of this super-thread are no worth and time consuming for scherzo, he has a real life as all of us .
Keeping NesterDC SE with a great compat list and as close as the original NES (with your SF menu system ;-) ), should be just fine. Forget about the rest man
oh, I think the original 256x224 mode is what should look like if possible without too much hacking, if not don't care too much if is a bit different ;-)

cheers
Zip it. :keepingquiet:
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

ok. I'm not going to post more in this thread so you can follow without breaking it but I won't retract of what I said either :P