Ideas for Scherzo's NesterDC SE.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
WaCk0
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WaCk0 »

Yeah, used for perspective... linear interpolation between mipmaps, etc.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

then why do they make metal slug look so much nicer in kawaks?

just because the neogeo is god?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

ethoscapade wrote:then why do they make metal slug look so much nicer in kawaks?

just because the neogeo is god?
what we are saying is that the dreamcast's hardware filters dont work on single textures.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

Had another thought on the manuals/maps. :)

When you open a rom, the emulator scans the rom and then scans to see if there is a matching manual and/or map for it. Then while you are playing the game, you go to the in-game menu and can select "manual" and "map". If one or both of these do not apply, then make them not selectable and faded. This would be a lot better than trying to search through a huge list manually to find the manual/map yourself. On the other hand, it would also be nice to be able to search for them yourself just in case the latter method did not work for a particular game.

Like Christuserloeser I'm just throwing out ideas so they may have been mentioned many times before! :wink:
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

That exactly how I planned it to work, actually. When you enter the in-game menu, you'll only get choices that are available for that game.

On top of that, you'll also be able to add the game to your favorites list. I've been thinking about being able to create your own custom lists. Like I myself want to keep track on which games I've flipped (beaten).
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

That exactly how I planned it to work, actually. When you enter the in-game menu, you'll only get choices that are available for that game.

On top of that, you'll also be able to add the game to your favorites list. I've been thinking about being able to create your own custom lists. Like I myself want to keep track on which games I've flipped (beaten).
Sounds cool! It would be great to know what games I've beat.

As well another couple ideas just came to me. I think you mentioned this before, but doing the same thing with the GG codes would be nice too, instead of going through a big dirty list trying to find them. As well, would it be possible to have two or more save states for a game instead of just one? Not really that important, but it would be a neat feature nonetheless! :)
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Syd wrote:As well, would it be possible to have two or more save states for a game instead of just one? Not really that important, but it would be a neat feature nonetheless! :)
Yeah, I was thinking more like 10 different slots. That should cover it.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

And support for ALL the memory cards, including compression ones. My friends keep beating games and save-stating them, and when it comes time to reload it all fucks up.

Perhaps having a screenshot included with the savestate. Like on ZSNES, except the pics are very small. And then the menu for savestates would scroll through them. And maybe let one add a note to a shot, like "My first one hit kill" or some such nonsense.

CANT WAIT!

As soon as it comes out, I will burn a few copies with PD roms and package them and sell them on ebay! :P
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...I'd think that having screenshots in the savestate (even small ones) would bloat the filesize horribly. Keep in mind that, even assuming you've got an entire VMU dedicated to NesterDC, you've still only got 128K to work with.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Dark Savant0 wrote:As soon as it comes out, I will burn a few copies with PD roms and package them and sell them on ebay! :P
I was sort of thinking of doing that as well, but getting them professional pressed and all. I dunno. Gotta finish it first.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

scherzo wrote:
Dark Savant0 wrote:As soon as it comes out, I will burn a few copies with PD roms and package them and sell them on ebay! :P
I was sort of thinking of doing that as well, but getting them professional pressed and all. I dunno. Gotta finish it first.
[laughs; then wonders whether or not to take this at all seriously] As long as you get approval from *all* the authors whose works are used (including those involved in the Nester codebase) :-P

I do think emulators hold a fascinating market potential within the homebrew community, though. Someone can create a game for one system (say, NES, or Atari, or GBA), then get it published for other systems as well through the use of emulation. This is why I was so fascinated by GPF's initial work on a functional GBA emulator; it opens the floodgates to the huge development community centered around that platform.

If there is any seriousness behind this, you try talking with Goatdan and some folks involved in NES development about this possibility, since I'd imagine native NES publication would be rather too expensive for an independent hobbyist developer to pursue. I know there have been a few professional-quality NES releases in recent years (I remember a particularly good isometric top-down shooter coming out ~2000, for example...and though it can't be marketed due to copyright issues, Grand Theftendo certainly shows that there are talented people interested). Hell, if the package is slick and put together well, I might be willing to shell out the $10 or $15 or so myself for a nice collection of a few "original" titles.

So, esp. with all the new features you're adding, you might actually be able to play up your program as a publishing platform for other developers. Of course, I'm sure there would be licensing issues to work out with previous Nester/NesterDC contributors....
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Yeah, I speak (type) before I think sometimes. Sometimes I forget about all the people involved. It would be nice to make some money from the work in put into it, but I really do this for my enjoyment. I just wanna make something cool. It's my way of being creative.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Actually, I was thinking of making the things myself. Burning them on high-quality cds, making nice labels, DVD cases(like the prof goat releases will soon might have), covers for the dvd cases, an insert with tips and stuff for the games, and perhaps extra stuff like another cd with all sorts of goodies a user can just put on their pc and print out, like a pdf manual, etc.

Of course, each one would sell 15 bucks a piece, and I would ask ALL rom authors for permision, and if they are not available, then I wont even bother to include it.

If I sell enough, I would send royalties out to the emu authors, like if I made 100 dollars, I would not keep 50, and give that out. The rest would go to development of this idea. I only expect to keep a small portion of the profits, cause it will be VERY expensive.

Ebay has a market for all this, and I am sure if there was no risky things involved the GOAT store would be happy to sell compilations.

Of course, I would also try to work with Dreamscript so I can put in like a list of authors and their sites and junk. Perhaps I would fiddle around with it and make custom scripts so that if a player wanted to they could change background.

Of course, the main issue would be copyrights. I (or anyone else for that matter) cant make any money with anything that had copyrighted logo's. I wouldn'teven attempt that. It would be necessary to make an all new logo for the case, no DC stuff need apply. Perhaps if there was a rating system.... At any rate, I would consult with the other DC forums for feedback on what the logo's should look like and case design. Dont want it to look sloppy.

On a final note, I wouldn't go ahead with this if the authors dont want me to. Like if Scherzo said "No, I am too greedy to share the profits. Go away you chupacabra! :twisted: " Then obviously its a no go. I will still make my own, so I will have something to flaunt around. Lol.

Oh yeah, and perhaps there could be signed copies, like by scherzo and other authors, including rom authors, which would sell for a dollar or two more. :P

What do you guys think?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Something I've been curious about for a long time:

Since data is structured in such a way on Mil-CDs that it can be read on a computer, would it be possible also to include a PC version of a program and put an Autorun.inf file on the disc pointing the PC build? That way, if you put it in your Dreamcast, it boots up normally, loading the 1st_read.bin etc. And if you put it in your computer, it auto-runs the Windows version. Sort of a dual-format thing...I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to test this (just add the appropriate files to the root directory before making the selfboot image), but it's just one of those things I never got around to.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

I don't see why not. Damn, that would be uber cool. NesterDC SE and NesterPC SE on the same autoboot/run disc. Good idea.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

And maybe let one add a note to a shot, like "My first one hit kill" or some such nonsense.
out of curiosity, what on the NES can you kill in one hit some times and not others? :D
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Ummm, in Dragon Warrior/Final Fantasy you can inflict a "critical hit" or "critical blow" or something like that, which causes more damage. So occasionally you do that to a monster who would normally take two hit but then takes one.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

oooh, good point.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

scherzo wrote:I don't see why not. Damn, that would be uber cool. NesterDC SE and NesterPC SE on the same autoboot/run disc. Good idea.
I agree that's a good idea, but wouldn't you need to use the PC edition before you burn NesterDC SE? Still, there'd be no reason to not do it.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Why would you need to use the PC version?