Neo Geo AES to Neo Geo CD Project

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by karsten »

quite in advanced state actually. but it seems not too games works well after, and often sound or grafical pieces are missing
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

DaRKSLaiN wrote:my dream is seeing Snk Vs Capcom on Dreamcast... just dreaming.. :)
isnt that already on DC?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

No. Only Capcom Vs. SNK (which was made by Capcom). SNK Vs. Capcom was made by SNK Playmore.

By the way quzar, would it be hard to make NeoDC do the cartridge-to-CD conversion on the fly (byteswapping, trimming, etc. the ROMs), thus eliminating the need for the user to do all this work?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

Fragger wrote:By the way quzar, would it be hard to make NeoDC do the cartridge-to-CD conversion on the fly (byteswapping, trimming, etc. the ROMs), thus eliminating the need for the user to do all this work?
I think it would be easier to just make NeoDC support MVS ROMs. It would then support all of the possible conversion games and quite a few more.

I think quzar has hinted that NeoDC (or its spiritual successor) will do this eventually as well as CPS emulation. Unless I misinterpretted the hints.

...word is bondage...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

spiritual successor is an awsome way to put it. yea, something like that will probably the case.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
DARKGATE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKGATE »

:( the idea is great, but the really games by convert are :
SAVAGE REIGN 2
DOUBLE DRAGON (NEW)
MATRIMELEE
all the METAL SLUG (X,3,4,5)
CAPCOM VS SNK CHAOS
SAMURAI SHODOWN 5 AND SPECIAL
BLAZING STAR
SHOCK TROPPERS

-------------------------------------
I think wich are too much great =|, can work pheraps without sound PHERAPS.
What your thinked?
iq_132
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by iq_132 »

DARKGATE wrote::( the idea is great, but the really games by convert are :
SAVAGE REIGN 2
DOUBLE DRAGON (NEW)
MATRIMELEE
CAPCOM VS SNK CHAOS
BLAZING STAR
SHOCK TROPPERS

What your thinked?
Most of those games won't fit into the dreamcast's ram, so that's pretty much not possible.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Unless they'd work on NGCD as then they'll work on DC =P
Sweater Fish wrote:I think quzar has hinted that NeoDC (or its spiritual successor) will do this eventually as well as CPS emulation. Unless I misinterpretted the hints.
I see. :o
Insane homebrew collector.
Tr?
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Tr? »

I have a NeoGeo CDZ if anyone needs to test any conversions.
fox68k
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by fox68k »

iq_132 wrote:
DARKGATE wrote::( the idea is great, but the really games by convert are :
SAVAGE REIGN 2
DOUBLE DRAGON (NEW)
MATRIMELEE
CAPCOM VS SNK CHAOS
BLAZING STAR
SHOCK TROPPERS

What your thinked?
Most of those games won't fit into the dreamcast's ram, so that's pretty much not possible.
Well, that is true if you load the game at a time, but there is a more advanced way to make the conversion.

Actually some games like Metal Slug (NeoGeo CD version) has loading points. When the game encounters one of them, stops and loads some files from the CD, to play the next mission or whatever.

The point here is we have a one time loading rom (MVS/AES) that will require loading points. Of course, that means program code modification and some research.

Some games are very big so they will require many loading points. This could make these games unplayable, but i think Metal Slug X could be played well, for example.
- fox68k -
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

The key thing is the size and complexity of the working set for a given "level" or "area" or "round". ROM size is one variable, but the more "natural" sequence points (or arenas+characters in the case of fighting games) there are in the game, the easier it should be to hack CD support into it...
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Support for something like that could be fairly easily written into the emulator itself. i'm sure many games would become unplayable at some points, but any that have an organized layout for rom data would most likely run fine.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Even if some games became unplayable like you say, I'd still be great to implement that, specially because no one would ask "Where can I find the hacked version of X game to run with the emu".
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

If I were to do it (i have a fairly well thought out plan on how) it would be on a game by game basis, so it wouldnt really break any games, nor have any uplayable games, some games simply wouldnt be supported =P.
rondc
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Re: Neo Geo AES to Neo Geo CD Project

Post by rondc »

Grimlock wrote:The link is spanish, but basically it says (according to freetranslation.com) that a way to convert AES roms to CD images has been developed. Yes yes i know this is touchy because it suggests warez. But if we can just ignore that aspect of it and focus on the concept of conversion, this topic may remain alive. Do any of you think this is true? And if so...where can we get it? This would make Quzar's (and the other author's) work even more valuable.
Hi, you're right, the article was only focused over the concept of conversion. But I've reading original coder license and you can read that the emulator can't be used in same NeoGeoCD game or Media. The article has been modified in order to keep the rules alive.

Also I would like to say that you will never be able to find any warez at my site, we don't support piracy and there's always a respect for licenses and copyrights.
Dreamcast Core Warrior
http://www.dciberia.net
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

no sense in getting too excited about this.. let's not forget that some of the most-loved late neo games (SvC and slug 3) are both >60MB..
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

no sense in getting too excited about this.. let's not forget that some of the most-loved late neo games (SvC and slug 3) are both >60MB..
Oh crap, in my desire to actually think about the nature of the problem, I forgot to embrace the icy bosom of defeatism. Guess I was being careless. :roll:
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
Oh crap, in my desire to actually think about the nature of the problem, I forgot to embrace the icy bosom of defeatism. Guess I was being careless. :roll:
:guffaw: oh, that was a much needed laugh after the little hit from the first post. kudos to you.

as for huge games, i think that even some random huge games would work, since they use multiple files that are called at individual times.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

quzar wrote:Support for something like that could be fairly easily written into the emulator itself. i'm sure many games would become unplayable at some points, but any that have an organized layout for rom data would most likely run fine.
So that'd be the future of NeoDC, yes? :o A MAME like 16bit arcade emu with NeoGeo and CPS1 emulation? Tell me more :D

Make sure you include Strikers 1945+ and Shock Troopers somewhere on top of your list :wink:
Insane homebrew collector.
drybed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by drybed »

how in the world do u change AES to neo geo CD?
Some games that are on AES aren't even on CD