NeoDC v2.1 Clearing the crappy v2 releases out.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

NeoDC v2.1 Clearing the crappy v2 releases out.

Post by Quzar »

Sorry for the problems of the past two days. All of them are fixed and I wanted to make sure people knew it by doing a mini-release. This is basically what v2 was supposed to be, so it's a bugfix version. (after having 3 versions of v2, i figured it would be easier to keep track of problems by upping the version number)

This release has quite a few things improved from the last version (v2).
Fixed in v2.1:

CDDA is correct again, in kos.

Get the scrambled bin HERE

Get the sources HERE

New compatability chart HERE
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

No need to apologize :wink: You fix things so fast that I don't have time to notice anything broken :lol:
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by LyingWake »

quzar, that binary is unscrambled.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

LyingWake wrote:quzar, that binary is unscrambled.
:oops:
scrambled it and re-uploaded. man, im on a crappy streak.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Hehe, that's ok. Good work - I wish I had my DC so I can try it out. The last version I tried was test2.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

LyingWake wrote:Hehe, that's ok. Good work - I wish I had my DC so I can try it out. The last version I tried was test2.
version 9 test 2 of NeoCD? Big changes now =).
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by Link2k4 »

lol, its cool quzar, you worked hard so of course your brain is going to be fried! I am going to burn now and play for a hour because I have to go to bed for work, its 4:06 am here in michigan so heh,I have a afternoon job so that makes me happy. Your forgiven too,quzar, infact you don't have to apoligize. we owe you a debt of gratitude. YO! EVERYONE GIVE IT UP FOR QUUUUUUUUUZAAAAAAAAAR! "YAY! WOO WOO *applause*
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

5am here now, and yet im still working on it =P

hopefully i can get sound working in aero fighters 2 and 3, unlike the PC version.
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

wonderfull :rumpshaker:
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
TseTinGFunG
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TseTinGFunG »

i need a little help guys. how do i go about burning this program when it only has the 1st_read.bin. shouldn't there be any more files like an ip.bin or can i just burn it like that with the app selfboot.
Now Playing - Counter-Strike Dreamcast (CSDC) Beta 5.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

TseTinGFunG wrote:i need a little help guys. how do i go about burning this program when it only has the 1st_read.bin. shouldn't there be any more files like an ip.bin or can i just burn it like that with the app selfboot.
just use the ip.bin from any other dc homebrew.
TseTinGFunG
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TseTinGFunG »

fanx
Now Playing - Counter-Strike Dreamcast (CSDC) Beta 5.
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze »

I have a little questions about the NeoGeo CD in general... why do you need an extra NeoGeo BIOS file? And why don't for e.g. the Genesis or SNES? This makes it almost impossible to add the emulator on a professional pressed CD like a demo disc.

And isn't there a free BIOS file out there which doesn't use the SNK libraries?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Freeze wrote:I have a little questions about the NeoGeo CD in general... why do you need an extra NeoGeo BIOS file? And why don't for e.g. the Genesis or SNES? This makes it almost impossible to add the emulator on a professional pressed CD like a demo disc.

I'm fairly certain its because on cartridge systems they hold bios in the carts, and whatever may act like a bios inside the console is very simple to emulate.
xenon
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by xenon »

Thanks Quzar for the fix-release. I'll re-test the games tomorrow :)
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze »

quzar wrote:
Freeze wrote:I have a little questions about the NeoGeo CD in general... why do you need an extra NeoGeo BIOS file? And why don't for e.g. the Genesis or SNES? This makes it almost impossible to add the emulator on a professional pressed CD like a demo disc.

I'm fairly certain its because on cartridge systems they hold bios in the carts, and whatever may act like a bios inside the console is very simple to emulate.
But... errr... it's not cartridge system, right? So why does NeoDC and Neo4All need it anyway? Because emulators which need it are easier to program?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Freeze wrote:
quzar wrote:

But... errr... it's not cartridge system, right? So why does NeoDC and Neo4All need it anyway? Because emulators which need it are easier to program?
The way CD-Rom systems works pretty much prohibits a bios from being on the CD. In cartridge systems there is often a bios on the cartridge because it can be readeasily, whereas CDs arent fast enough to do that. It IS possible to have an HLE bios, but I certainly dont have the knowledge to write full emulation of the bios.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

CD-based systems have a BIOS (wrong word - that's what the PC's built-in ROM is called). It's responsible for everything that happens before a game is started (like actually loading the game off a CD, for one), and on many systems it's responsible for a lot of additional functions while the game's actually running. The NeoGeo CD's ROM, for example, deals with all disc access from the game, and provides a additional stuff too. The Playstation ROM is also used heavily by most games - it provides disc access and standard library functions.

Same deal with computers. Most of them implement a large chunk of the operating system (or even all of it, for 8-bit machines) in ROM. You need a ROM to be able to do anything with these systems, and there's no way around it. If you're loading anything from secondary storage (disks, tapes, whatever) you need a ROM.

Cartridge-based systems generally don't have a built-in ROM at all. They run everything directly off the cartridge. I know of two that had a built-in ROM - the Sega Master System, and the MegaDrive 2. The ROM simply displayed a start-up logo, and checked that there was a valid cartridge inserted, then got out of the way and let the cartridge take over. The Japanese SMS and the original MegaDrive didn't have a ROM at all - they just run the game off the cartridge. No game requires the ROM (and would not be able to detect it anyway), so no emulators bother emulating it.

That said, it is possible to emulate the functions of the ROM. NeoDC does that already - instead of emulating the CD hardware, it emulates the ROM functions that access the disc, and does all the reading and writing itself. It doesn't do that with the rest of the ROM functions, and games still use those other functions. It's possible to emulate the rest of the functions, but that's quite hard to do, and generally compatibility would drop unless you can emulate everything exactly, right down to bugs and unintended features.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Thanks for the great info BA ;)
And now, i have a question.
I ever wondered why the loadings in NeoCD/SDL don't show the classic NeoGeoCD animations. In the real console, the loading times were stupids. And the screens served as amusement.
NeoCD/SDL doesn't need it, the loads are very improved. But they still exist.
So why NeoDC can't display those screens. I miss some of them, like the beautiful B&W portraits in KoF95, or the SD characters on Samurai Spirits 2, even that monkey playing with grenades.
NeoCD/SDL windows and linux versions both have a bitmap wich replaces the loading screens, Nebula show the right screens. Even NeoCD/SDL for DC used to show a bitmap untill IM removed it.
Maybe i can't explain, but i miss some art screens and the pogress bar itself.
It can't be done?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

DCmad wrote:Thanks for the great info BA ;)
And now, i have a question.
I ever wondered why the loadings in NeoCD/SDL don't show the classic NeoGeoCD animations. In the real console, the loading times were stupids. And the screens served as amusement.
NeoCD/SDL doesn't need it, the loads are very improved. But they still exist.
So why NeoDC can't display those screens. I miss some of them, like the beautiful B&W portraits in KoF95, or the SD characters on Samurai Spirits 2, even that monkey playing with grenades.
NeoCD/SDL windows and linux versions both have a bitmap wich replaces the loading screens, Nebula show the right screens. Even NeoCD/SDL for DC used to show a bitmap untill IM removed it.
Maybe i can't explain, but i miss some art screens and the pogress bar itself.
It can't be done?
I really have no idea. Without information from nebula on how that is done, there is really nothing I can do about it. I dont have a NGCD and am not an emulator writer. I CAN put the loading screen back in, thats fairly easy, but I just didnt see much point to it.