beta version of CZ80 released :)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Stef.D
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

beta version of CZ80 released :)

Post by Stef.D »

I finally completed my Z80 emulator.
I just fixed a bug which making it crashing on dreamcast (reading/writing a word on odd address).
It hasn't been tested a lot so it's far from being bug free, but it's enough to make some tests and benchs :)
I tested it in Genesis Plus only against the current used Z80 core.
On x86 platform, it performs about ~1.6 times faster only, but on dreamcast it performs ~2.2 times faster :)

You can grab the sources here :
http://gens.consolemul.com/download/CZ80_090.zip

I did a cpu interface to make switch to a core from another quicker, you can get it here :
http://gens.consolemul.com/download/cpu_z80.zip

Cheers,
Last edited by Stef.D on Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

did this fix the sound problem the dc pvr 3 version of genesis plus had, which was skippy and loopy?>
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

No, it won't fix the sound thing. It might make it less noticable, but it'll still be there.
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by Link2k4 »

wow the beta works better on DC than PC x68 assembly? that is something to be proud of! great job, Stef D. :D
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Link2k4 wrote:wow the beta works better on DC than PC x68 assembly? that is something to be proud of! great job, Stef D. :D
He's not comparing it to an x86 assembly core. His CPU emulator (CZ80, written in C) is faster than the old Z80 emulator (also written in C). On the PC, it is "only" 1.6 times faster than the old core. But on the Dreamcast, CZ80 is roughly 2.2 times faster than the existing Z80 emulator. The same core (CZ80) performs much better on the DC than the old core, because of how he designed it.

Of course, I bet even he didn't think he'd get quite that big a difference after his initial testing on the PC. ;) Very good work, Stef. I'm sure this will greatly benefit some of the best upcoming emulators.
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

Very good... very good!
Julius
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Julius »

Cool stuff... will it be included in NeoCD for sfx?
Stef.D
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Stef.D »

I uploaded a new version of CZ80, i only modified DAA opcode : no anymore need of the LUT (as MAME z80 core actually) -> smaller code :)
http://gens.consolemul.com/download/CZ80_091.zip

I also uploaded my modified z80 cpu interface, it now implements CMZ80 as well... i also included :
- lastest version of MAME z80 (modified for Genesis Plus)
- CMZ80 fixed for dreamcast
- lastest version of CZ80
Get it here :
http://gens.consolemul.com/download/cpu_z80.zip

Of course this CPU interface has been done for Genesis Plus. And again, you'll need to modify some memomry function name and definition in Genesis Plus to get it working.
You can use the cpu interface in others projects but you'll need to modify initialisation stuff according to the emulated system etc...
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by Link2k4 »

Alexvrb wrote:
Link2k4 wrote:wow the beta works better on DC than PC x68 assembly? that is something to be proud of! great job, Stef D. :D
He's not comparing it to an x86 assembly core. His CPU emulator (CZ80, written in C) is faster than the old Z80 emulator (also written in C). On the PC, it is "only" 1.6 times faster than the old core. But on the Dreamcast, CZ80 is roughly 2.2 times faster than the existing Z80 emulator. The same core (CZ80) performs much better on the DC than the old core, because of how he designed it.

Of course, I bet even he didn't think he'd get quite that big a difference after his initial testing on the PC. ;) Very good work, Stef. I'm sure this will greatly benefit some of the best upcoming emulators.
sorry I was trying to sound intellengent, but they waved bye-bye a while ago. so now I am DUH! :?:
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

GREAT STUFF STEF. I'm really happy you made it!
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Merci tellement, Stef.D

My french has really gotten rusty since High School.
cagmere
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cagmere »

So a full speed genesis emu with full sound and compatibility is definitely possible with this? What about SNES?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Julius wrote:Cool stuff... will it be included in NeoCD for sfx?
maybe, maybe not.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

So a full speed genesis emu with full sound and compatibility is definitely possible with this?
No. Still not fast enough. It's more than fast enough when used in conjunction with the hardware rendering system and C68k. However, the hardware renderer will never be able to run all games correctly. It's simply not fixable. And, at the moment at least, software rendering is too slow.
What about SNES?
No. A SNES uses completely different stuff.
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by Link2k4 »

it will be nice if this fixes some Z80 core problems,could improve some sound problems in some emulators,I am sure we will all find out in a later date how this sound core affects the emus on the DC scene. As blackaura said though it will not do much to the sound changes in GP, would have been nifty if it did, though. wishful thinking, nothing more.
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

nice thing man ! good work ! :kiss)
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Y'know...this is slightly off-topic, but it's always amazed me just how versatile and useful the Z80 chip has turned out to be. It was designed over 30 years ago, and yet it's still used as the core of electronic devices left and right. Just off the top of my head, I can think of the Apple ][, the SEGA MasterSystem/GameGear, the Genesis' sound system, the TI81-86 line of graphing calculators, numerous PDAs, etc., etc.....the list goes on. I first started getting interested in this stuff around ten or eleven years ago when I got an old Apple ][ (my first computer!), and ever since then, I've noticed the Z80 in tech specs everywhere. All I can think is "wow: that again." Then again, I guess good design is good design, period.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Y'know...this is slightly off-topic, but it's always amazed me just how versatile and useful the Z80 chip has turned out to be. It was designed over 30 years ago, and yet it's still used as the core of electronic devices left and right. Just off the top of my head, I can think of the Apple ][, the SEGA MasterSystem/GameGear, the Genesis' sound system, the TI81-86 line of graphing calculators, numerous PDAs, etc., etc.....the list goes on. I first started getting interested in this stuff around ten or eleven years ago when I got an old Apple ][ (my first computer!), and ever since then, I've noticed the Z80 in tech specs everywhere. All I can think is "wow: that again." Then again, I guess good design is good design, period.
and you didnt even mention the hundreds of arcade machines that features one or more z80s =P.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Dont forget watches & musical xmas/bday cards, the Z80 just wont die ever it seems
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by Link2k4 »

Z80 is immortal :D