Some newbie questions

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
arcticfeather
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Some newbie questions

Post by arcticfeather » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:52 pm

Haven't been keeping up to date with dcemu for what seems like forever so help me out a bit here

For Mega Drive (genesis) games Genesis Plus is my best bet, yes? I've seen mention preview releases where can i get these to try them out? (which version is the latest .sbi and does it support sound at all?)

I guessing that MAME/MAMED DC don't support newer games such as the metal slugs and megaman arcade games? I can't seem to find a compatibility list anywhere

And finally, and completely randomly is there a basic 1-player pong game on the DC? Found this, but does it actually have a CPU opponent?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance for any help
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:58 am

For Mega Drive (genesis) games Genesis Plus is my best bet, yes? I've seen mention preview releases where can i get these to try them out? (which version is the latest .sbi and does it support sound at all?)
Yes, Genesis Plus is your best bet.

The original release of Genesis Plus was OK, although a little slow, and had absolutely no sound support whatsoever. The emulator just wasn't fast enough, so I didn't even attempt to add it, because I didn't think there would be any point.

The preview version (the last one was numbered 3) is an experimental version, which was being used for debugging and testing. It had a new CPU emulator, and a new rendering system that used the Dreamcast's 3D hardware to render stuff. It was much faster than the previous release - most games run at full speed with sound disabled, and around 95% with sound enabled. However, it has more graphical problems, and a few games no longer work, or have other bugs, and the sound is... dodgy. The sound code assumes that the emulator runs at full speed, which of course it doesn't quite, so it skips quite a lot, and usually lags behind the game by a few seconds.
Omegasis
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: Some newbie questions

Post by Omegasis » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:50 am

arcticfeather wrote:I guessing that MAME/MAMED DC don't support newer games such as the metal slugs and megaman arcade games? I can't seem to find a compatibility list anywhere
None MAME's emulators for dreamcast support that games. The Dreamcast don't have enough Ram for run those games. They are too bigs. If you want to know what games are supported with MAMED DC you can find the list here for every pack of that emulator:

DCEmulation

About your last question, you can play Pong in the emulator 80's WOW Pack from IMR Technology.
See ya. :wink:
Life is a path with infinite destinies