NesterDC SE Release Delayed (beware p.8 for 56k'ers)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DARKGATE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DARKGATE »

:D minkia ma quando esce questo emulatore, almeno mettete qualche screenshot , sara' bello sicuramente pero' caxxo quanto tempo, non era meglio continuare l'emulatore del supernintendo?
Ma c'era veramente tutto sto bisogno di un'altro emulatore nintendo ?
MAH : | .
"used a program for traduction from ITALY TO ENGLISH :D ehheeh learn my language ^^" CIAO
p.s.
W U MESSINAA nui sicliani semu i megghiu :D (this my dialet language and don't work the programs for traduction)
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

To answer the questions about customization of the menus and general behavior. Yes, since the entire user interface is written using DreamScript, you can totally customize it to your liking without changing any c/c++ code. Anyone with a coders cable should be able to do it. But not everyone has a coders cable, so I will eventually have a PC port of DreamScript so you can code AND test right on your PC.
gnomes
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gnomes »

Awesome! Great work scherzo
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Wow scherzo, I'm really looking forward to next NesterDC; great job you're doing! Keep it up. = )
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Forget that shareware post. This needs to be free. Although I would pay.....

So, whats left? And where do I download dreamscript?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Dark Savant0 wrote:So, whats left? And where do I download dreamscript?
DreamScript is something I developed along with NesterDC SE. So you can't download it yet. It's a port of KJS, the JavaScript engine from Konquerer, the KDE web browser.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

NO, NOT KONQUERER! Lol.

Is it user-friendly, in coding terms?
DARKGATE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKGATE »

WOWOWOWOW o_O FINALLY i see now the SCREENSHOTS ^_^, accompliscement scherzo, incredible work O_O .
WaCk0
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by WaCk0 »

Really cool scherzo. I'll try to make a theme after you release this baby )()(
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

Ohh man that looks incredible!!! You'll be damned certain that once this is released, every one of my friends will witness this marvel and be jealous... they'll be asking where to buy a dreamcast and nesterdc se! :rumpshaker:
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Dark Savant0 wrote:NO, NOT KONQUERER! Lol.

Is it user-friendly, in coding terms?
I love JavaScript's syntax and the little tricks you can do with it. So yeah, to me, it's user friendly. But a lot of the true user-friendliness will come from stuff I haven't written yet; like a little DreamScript IDE to dev and test in, for instance. In order to change the UI around, you do actually have to stretch your mind and do actual programming. But you are without the pain of setting up GCC cross compiler, which seems to be particularly difficult for a person with little linux or programming experience.

Also, when there's something wrong with your code, it won't just crash without telling you what was wrong. When you have syntax errors, you get a line numer and a reason. When you try to do something you shouldn't, like getting properties on an undefined or null variable, you get line numbers. This should make programming easier for the beginner. Also, since JS sytax is so similar to C++, I think it could be a good gateway drug, oops, I mean language.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

So its like that GM programming. Nice.

I love gateway drugs, and gateway languages.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

WOW. releasereleasereleaserelease..

PS how can i donate?
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

scherzo wrote:Those smaller screenshot load really fast. They are paletted pngs; only 2K each, or so. The cart scans go slower, oh well.

There will be a way to scroll at 5 or 10 at a time. There will also be a pure text mode browser too.
Maybe you could use the l and r buttons to skip from the beginning of each letter of the alphabet, or just have it skip a certain amount of roms at a time, but skipping by letter whould be cool for sure.
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

Wait, I'm a little demented... which part of the emulator uses javascript and which uses dreamscript? :roll:
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

DreamScript IS JavaScript with a bunch of functions and classes added to do game related stuff. I've dubbed it DreamScript because, well, I felt like it.
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

Ohh, awesome!

Sorry for the quick post and the eye-rolling smilie, it may have looked as if I wanted to come off as a jackass. My mom was breathing over my shoulder and telling me she wanted a ride to the grocery store so I wasn't even looking at the screen. :kiss)

Thanks for clarifying things. And again, thanks for the dedication to nesterdc se. I never would have fathomed such an explosive emulator! It does far more than just emulate games by the sounds of it. I'll have to make some dvd covers or something while I wait for a release. Thanks a lot. It sounds like the community's going to be booming when there's a release (Heck, we're already antsy). :wink:
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I think its safe to say this is the most anticipated Emulator release, not counting the Dreamsnes (Heck, I think even the authors are waiting for a new release! :P ). Good job.

So we will be able to use Dreamscript with other projects? Like perhaps a new menu for sbi?
obelisk
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by obelisk »

this loks quite nice, indeed. hot as hell, eh. thanks for the dedication can all, it takes time, and a bit o' dragon slaying skills to knock out such a nice thing!
you rock, scherzo, i cant wait for this!! but i will.:)
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Dark Savant0 wrote:So we will be able to use Dreamscript with other projects? Like perhaps a new menu for sbi?
Hellz yeah. I just have to put in an execute function, that's all. Easy.