NesterDC SE Release Delayed (beware p.8 for 56k'ers)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sir Savant »

k.

No, I mean like will there be seperate downloads, one with the screenshots and one without, or would we have to download them seperately?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Dark Savant0 wrote:k.

No, I mean like will there be seperate downloads, one with the screenshots and one without, or would we have to download them seperately?
There will be a CD builder that will download all that you want. In fact, the builder will probably download the actual emulator as well. Of course I'll provide a do-it-yourself kit that you could use with your favorite selfboot method. I'm shooting for simplicity here though. TARD PROOF.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

TARD PROOF. Lol.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Dark Savant0 wrote:Will 4 player support be automatically implemented into SE?
Yes, there will be 4 player support. I'll have to test it, of course, to make sure it works.

Back off topic... I started programming with Java in about 2000. Well, that's not entirely true. I really did my first programming waaay back as a young kid. I wrote BASIC on my C64. But that was really crappy. It guess it was good for developing my problem soving skills a bit.

But, yeah, first Java, then C/C++. Not to mention other similar junk like VBS, JS, PHP. All self taught. Of course, I never write anything in Java now. It was a good starting language though. The only kind of book I used were those Sams Teach Yourself in 21 days thingys. They are straight and to the point.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Hey man. I just wanted to say again...thanks for all your work. i just wanted to ask a selfish question...out of curiousity. Well, anyways, I was wondering if you could test the game Mendel Palace to see if it works with less to no gfx glitches unlike the other poopy nesterdc versions. :oops: The thing is...this is the only non-puzzle game that my 50-year-old parents actually like! My nes doesn't hardly work anymore, so it's too much of a hassle to rip out the ol' dust heap and attempt to play it the old way...

Basically, I'm just wondering if this and a few other games will be more supported in you larger-than-life SE version. You know...like the NES Battletoads Double Dragon and how it usually freezes after a point on NESTERDC or how in the 7.1 versions, Zelda and Rygar won't work. Or I can even mention how Kirby's sound got fudged up with the poppie noises. :lol:

I understand that most people expect a super, souped-up version of NESTERDC with unlimited features, but you're probably trying to focus on perfecting the support and mappers first(which games like Dragonball needs).

For the last time, THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT YOU'RE DOING! And uh......I'll shut up now. :wink:

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

So far, Mendel Palace is the same as it is in 7.1, which has slight graphic glitches. I'll put that on my list of games to investigate.

As for the other games you mentioned: Battletoads/Double Dragon, Zelda, and Rygar. They now work fine.

So far I've only fixed NES 6502 bugs that came in version 7.1 and had broken a lot of games, including the ones above. These bugs were a result of Takayama's optimizing of the CPU core. Now I haven't yet touched any PPU or Mapper issues.

Right now, I'm working on the extended features of NesterDC SE and making good progress. Last night, I put a lot of work into a graphical game loading system. It's looking very sweet and indications are that it is going to be fast too. The last thing I want to do is make a nice but slow interface. Then no one will want to use it.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Nice to hear the progress.

Your idea to make a menu using the flash player, is no longer? Sounds like you're making something like SuperFamicast, which I might add is a good move. :)
WaCk0
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by WaCk0 »

BTW, scherzo... if you still need a hand with the interface or gfx, please let me know. ;)
cagmere
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cagmere »

Just release the damn thing already lol.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

cagmere wrote:Just release the damn thing already lol.
I want to, trust me.
BaLLZaCH
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by BaLLZaCH »

Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick :-)

I remember when I programmed, that it was NEVER perfect. But now that I can step back and look around, I have to agree with cagmere:
Just release the damn thing already lol.
:-) LOL

I was extremely happy with NesterDC so I dont know what to expect with SE :-)
Keep up the great work. GREAT work.

Peace
If anyone likes mIRC you should check out my fserv script http://www.ballzach.com Hell, I thought it was awsome....
Sinepe Yime Kuss :-p
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

Drinkcast wrote:And please...allow the SE of NesterDC to have two player support. I was never able to play Mario with two players.
There is already 2 player support. You have to use controller port 4 for the second player and you can have 2 player games but now I beleive there will even be 4 player support on this one.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

I know many people say that they are happy with 7.1 and don't want all these extra features. All I can say is that this is going to very cool when it's done. I have been fighting the urge to make a release that short of my vision. And I almost did it at Christmas. I now realize that missing my self-imposed deadline was the best thing that could have happened.

Every time I work on it, I feel like I'm making my ultimate NES tribute. For me, emulation is great, but it lacks some of the nostalgic feeling I get when playing on real hardware. That's why I want to be able to look at boxart, screenshots, and read instruction manuals. It helps me remember the late 80s and how fun everything associated with NES was.

Also, I think DreamScript has the potential of being very big. NesterDC SE is a test run of the practicality of using a scripting language on DC. And it's turning out to be awesome.

Now I know this might sound crazy, but once I've completed NesterDC SE, I'm going to port it to PC. Yep, I need to make a DreamScript engine for PC and, to make sure it works, I will make a version of NesterDC SE that is functionally identical to the DC version.

Then, the really cool stuff happens. With the PC port of DreamScript, anyone will be able to make their own 2D games for DC without ever having to test it on the DC. Once it's working on the PC, you'll be able to burn a selfboot disc and it'll just work.

So whine now. I hope to knock your socks off someday soon.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

spiffy.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

scherzo wrote:I know many people say that they are happy with 7.1 and don't want all these extra features. All I can say is that this is going to very cool when it's done. I have been fighting the urge to make a release that short of my vision. And I almost did it at Christmas. I now realize that missing my self-imposed deadline was the best thing that could have happened.

Every time I work on it, I feel like I'm making my ultimate NES tribute. For me, emulation is great, but it lacks some of the nostalgic feeling I get when playing on real hardware. That's why I want to be able to look at boxart, screenshots, and read instruction manuals. It helps me remember the late 80s and how fun everything associated with NES was.
:D
Insane homebrew collector.
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

about the screen images and box art.. is that gonna take up a lot of space.. im 56k and i dont have the patience to download something like 100MB.

it would be nice to include the box art and screenshots with the emu though (maybe a seperate download).. the sega master system plus emu supports screenshots but you gotta rename every rom.. that would take hours.. bahh!! not worth it.

would you have a place to get these screenshots.. and also.. would they be compatable with the roms no matter what they are named or do the pics and roms gotta match in the name.. like mario 3.nes and mario 3.jpg or whatever? im not renaming all my roms it would take too long..

also one more thing.. will it have game genie support and will you have a place to download codes that are going to work? the codes on this site dont work with 7.1 i dont want to have the same issue with this new one.

thank you..
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

There will be a stand alone PC proggy that will scan your ROM collection and then get only the screenshots and boxart that you need. So, basically, you won't have to worry about images names or anything really. Also, the screenshots are small in filesize, but perfect in quality. They are paletted PNGs and are only a couple of kilobytes each. I got them from screenshotarchive.com. Of course, all this extra media is optional if you really don't want it. You'll still be able to browse your CD for ROMs using plain text like most any other emulator.

Yes, there's Game Genie support and the codes will be treated much like the screen shots. They will be downloaded by the CD builder program based on what ROMs you have. So, you won't have to type any in the emulator. Just choose them from a list that has a detailed description of each one. Of course, you can enter them manually too.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

option 1: complain that an emu never gets an update
option 2: complain if an emu gets an update

:P
Insane homebrew collector.
WaCk0
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by WaCk0 »

the ultimate NES emulator :o
I love these emus with tons of cool features. Hey Scherzo, is this boxart a rotating 3D box? or its a simple 2D picture? I'm curious about that. )()(
Just NICE!
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

WaCk0 wrote:the ultimate NES emulator :o
I love these emus with tons of cool features. Hey Scherzo, is this boxart a rotating 3D box? or its a simple 2D picture? I'm curious about that. )()(
Just NICE!
Well, considering that scans of every side of all boxes probably don't exist, I'm keeping it 2D. I just have box fronts.